Old 14-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Redman

Default Greenhouse ?

I'm after a new greenhouse, anything to avoid out there? Any good deals on
at the moment?

TIA

Redman

Old 14-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Mike

"Redman" wrote in message
I'm after a new greenhouse, anything to avoid out there?

An Aluminium one if A) it is in an exposed position, not just by direct wind
but by Eddy currents as well.
and B) If it is not bolted down onto a secure brick base

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 14-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Nicholas

I'd avoid buying a new one and get one for free or next to nothing from the
local classifieds...

One newcomer to our allotments put up a new aluminium greenhouse but didn't
bother putting all the glass in....comes a windy day greenhouse and glass
get blown all over the place...next sighting is of same allotment holder
using a hack saw to cut the new greenhouse to pieces. Wish I'd been
there...

Cheers

Nicholas
--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

Old 15-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Mike

.. That is my tip of the day, come to think of it. If
you buy one second hand, get the plans and/or take lots of photos.

and mark the 2/3 bits which make up a joint with a code done in waterproof
pen/ink/marker, then the next joint with another code and so on. I have a
big 'Party Gazebo' (Argos) which I use for displays and exhibitions, it will
be at the International Festival of the Sea in Portsmouth in June, and I
have colour coded the metal tubes according to the same markings on the
split down plan. Blue tape to Blue tape, White tape to White tape etc. Easy
:-)) Sorry Off Topic again NO ITS NOT, I have used at a Garden Barbeque at
a Masonic Function for the Lady Freemasons :-))

Mike

Old 15-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Redman" wrote in message
I'm after a new greenhouse, anything to avoid out there? Any good deals on
at the moment?

TIA

Redman

Try and find one with a wide or double door opening and with a lot of roof
vents, also if you can view one assembled check that the design is solid and
does not distort under pressure, (bear in mind it is the glass that provides
most of the strength)
Some people prefer second hand but I have found that new you get ALL the
bits and its delivered with the instructions, also you do not have to take
it down or transport it (glass is very heavy)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Try and find one with a wide or double door opening and with a lot of roof
vents, also if you can view one assembled check that the design is solid and
does not distort under pressure, (bear in mind it is the glass that provides
most of the strength)

I wouldn't go for a very wide door Charlie unless the greenhouse was
fairly large or you are going to lose quite a bit of staging space
aren't you? If it's on the short side then presumably the staging will
come up to the path through the middle which is generally single door
wide?

My Alton greenhouse is now crumbling, put it up in 1979/80- so I guess I
cant complain but choosing a new one is almost impossible! I'd love one
of those that has a brick wall for a base as it would only have to be
half rebuilt if it fell down

A friend has an Alitex which is absolutely wonderful but beyond my purse
strings and some of those advertised in The Garden are really
attractive, but again probably too expensive to contemplate.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

I had double sliding doors on the short-end wall of an 8 X 10,
which is a fairly small GH, and heartily endorse Charlie's advice.

Oh right......... you had a straight sided greenhouse then? I listened
to advice and got a Dutch light one which I have always regretted. So
much easier with straight sides and more headroom etc.

Janet

Old 26-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Tim Tyler

Janet Tweedy wrote or quoted:

Oh right......... you had a straight sided greenhouse then? I listened
to advice and got a Dutch light one which I have always regretted. So
much easier with straight sides and more headroom etc.

Something like the ones on:

http://www.greenhousesupply.co.uk/mpb.html

....?

They don't look too bad to me. The slant does make some structural sense.
--
__________
Old 27-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Tim Tyler writes
Janet Tweedy wrote or quoted:

Oh right......... you had a straight sided greenhouse then? I listened
to advice and got a Dutch light one which I have always regretted. So
much easier with straight sides and more headroom etc.

Something like the ones on:

http://www.greenhousesupply.co.uk/mpb.html

...?

They don't look too bad to me. The slant does make some structural sense.

Well the argument was that a Dutch light one would enable more rays of
the sun to get to the crops inside but the design doesn't allow for
decent rows of shelving or headroom as the base is the same size as a
straight sided house.

My Alton greenhouse has very little structural reinforcement and now
bows along the length just a bit. I thought it would last longer but
most people seem to think 25 years is good.

Janet

greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM