Old 12-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Nick Hogg

Default olive question

hi, hope someone can advise

i have a small (30" tall) olive tree in a ceramic tub, which over the summer
was very healthy. it's been in the conservatory since about the last week
of november. just before xmas, it started to shed its leaves, which had
gone brown and curled. thinking that there might be something about its
location that was causing stress, i moved it to near the front door. since
it has been there, new pale green growth has appeared all over the plant,
while the older growth continues to shrivel and drop. is this normal for an
olive? or should i take some action? i have been watering very sparingly
about once a week. very grateful for any tips, pointers, urls etc.

Old 15-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 14:12:36 -0000, "Nick Hogg"
wrote:
i have a small (30" tall) olive tree in a ceramic tub, which over the summer
was very healthy. it's been in the conservatory since about the last week
of november. just before xmas, it started to shed its leaves, which had
gone brown and curled.

I have a similar sized olive which I have brought into a bedroom every
winter and it often loses its leaves in this way. I'm not sure why;
maybe too wet or too dry BUT it always shoots out again in Spring.
Good luck
Cheers
Pam

Bristol

Old 15-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Hogg
writes
thanks for that, good to know there's no need to worry (ish)

Some gardening books say that an Olive needs to have a little frost in
wintertime in order that it will fruit the following year. They grow
very well outside in Greece where winters can be very severe.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 15-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Nic Wiseman

It might be that you need to get a bigger pot or move it into the earth.
We have a lovely olive tree in the ground and they thrive in our soil in
Twickenham.

Nic

. ..

Old 15-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Nick Hogg

very well outside in Greece where winters can be very severe.

too true ... i was once snowed into the waiting room of a train station just
south of Thessalonika, for 24 hrs ;-)

Old 15-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Nick Hogg

It might be that you need to get a bigger pot or move it into the earth.
We have a lovely olive tree in the ground and they thrive in our soil in
Twickenham.

hmm, maybe, but the pots are decorative - to go round the pool in summer -
and i'm not sure about the soil here in e. yorks, lots of clay content ...
d'you think this might be okay?

anyway, after what Alan Gould has said above, i'm thinking i should maybe
put the tree back outside - it's in a conservatory right now - although i'd
be worried that this new growth, being quite delicate at the moment, might
be killed if there is a frost ...

Old 15-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nick Hogg wrote:
It might be that you need to get a bigger pot or move it into the earth.
We have a lovely olive tree in the ground and they thrive in our soil in
Twickenham.

hmm, maybe, but the pots are decorative - to go round the pool in summer -
and i'm not sure about the soil here in e. yorks, lots of clay content ...
d'you think this might be okay?

Perhaps, but I doubt it. Few Mediterranean plants like waterlogging.
My preference would be to keep it in pots, and try to protect them
from the worst of the frost in winter.

anyway, after what Alan Gould has said above, i'm thinking i should maybe
put the tree back outside - it's in a conservatory right now - although i'd
be worried that this new growth, being quite delicate at the moment, might
be killed if there is a frost ...

I would definitely NOT put it outside if it has just formed new growth.
Or, at least, I would bring it in as soon as frost is likely. A plant
left outside doesn't start new growth until later. Well, usually.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 15-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Nick Hogg

I would definitely NOT put it outside if it has just formed new growth.
Or, at least, I would bring it in as soon as frost is likely. A plant
left outside doesn't start new growth until later. Well, usually.

okay copy that, thanks

Old 16-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Hogg
writes

anyway, after what Alan Gould has said above, i'm thinking i should maybe
put the tree back outside - it's in a conservatory right now - although i'd
be worried that this new growth, being quite delicate at the moment, might
be killed if there is a frost ...

We have our 2 yr. old Olive growing in an unheated greenhouse but
planted next to the glass. There it just caught a degree or two of frost
last week, but it enjoys higher temperatures all summer than it would do
outside. We don't think it will fruit this year, but we have high hopes
for having some home grown organic olives later on.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 16-01-2003, 09:41 PM
david

I think the problem is to wet,
Am trying to find out more about growing olives as I have just bought my
first 4 trees, ( varieties).
so far have found these sites to be useful
www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/olive.html
http://www.santacruzolive.com/planti...ge=preparation
www.museodellolivo.com/eng/ecolt1.htm
www.edible.co.nz/olive/olives.htm

Seems they can take a fair amount of frost but don't want a high level of
rain, and I'm trying to grow them in a rainfall area with over 80 inches a
year.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

transplanting olive tree Teddy Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
[IBC] OLIVE kevin bailey Bonsai 2 15-02-2003 03:03 PM
OLIVE Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 14-02-2003 04:39 AM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europaea Iris Cohen Bonsai 4 10-02-2003 04:55 PM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding. Alicia Thompson Bonsai 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM