Old 21-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Plant identification please

Clare wrote
http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html

Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for me,
before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going to be
something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember what it is (I
planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone who knows and posts.

I get a " This page cannot be displayed" message.

Something wrong with the link?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Phil L

Bob Hobden wrote:
:: Clare wrote
::: http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html
:::
::: Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for
::: me, before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going
::: to be something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember
::: what it is (I planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone
::: who knows and posts.
::
:: I get a " This page cannot be displayed" message.
::
:: Something wrong with the link?

I viewed it fine earlier on...and I've just opened it again OK, but the page
has changed, she must be working on the website - the photo is in a
different position than before, try again in a minute or two....

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 22-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Emrys Davies

wrote in message
http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html

Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for me,
before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going to be
something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember what it is (I
planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone who knows and

posts.

Link perfect, but I cannot identify the plant.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 22-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Lynda Thornton

In article ,
writes
http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html

Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for me,
before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going to be
something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember what it is (I
planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone who knows and posts.

Hi

I'm probably wrong but it almost looks like a verbena bonariensis in a
white form - can't be that sure though!

Lynda
Old 22-03-2005, 11:49 AM
newsb

In article ,
writes
http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html

Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for me,
before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going to be
something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember what it is (I
planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone who knows and posts.

Don't know if I'm looking at the right thing - or there isn't enough
resolution for me to distinguish - but is it yarrow? Looks like that to
my inexpert eyes.

--
regards andyw

Old 22-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Philippe Gautier

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:17:40 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

In article ,
writes

http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html

Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for me,
before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going to be
something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember what it is (I
planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone who knows and posts.

Hi

I'm probably wrong but it almost looks like a verbena bonariensis in a
white form - can't be that sure though!

The flower does look a bit like a white verbena bonariensis, but the
leaves aren't the same... I thought that when I first picked it up but
that's not what it is. Damn - wish I'd made a note or kept the label.

Hi,

I'm almost sure it's Valeriana officinalis, maybe a white subspecies
since I think the wild form is pink. I've worked in genetics on these
plants for 2 years so, i should know.

Philippe
Old 22-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Emrys Davies

"Philippe Gautier" said
I'm almost sure it's Valeriana officinalis, maybe a white subspecies
since I think the wild form is pink. I've worked in genetics on these
plants for 2 years so, i should know.

Philippe

Philippe

Great. I think that you are definitely correct.

http://tinyurl.com/4ekan

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 22-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Bob Hobden wrote:
:: Clare wrote
::: http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html
:::
::: Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for
::: me, before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going
::: to be something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember
::: what it is (I planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone
::: who knows and posts.
::
:: I get a " This page cannot be displayed" message.
::
:: Something wrong with the link?

I viewed it fine earlier on...and I've just opened it again OK, but the page
has changed, she must be working on the website - the photo is in a
different position than before, try again in a minute or two....

The flowers don't look right, but we really need to see them closer up,
but the leaves look like Valerian as Philippe says. Try googling on
valerian and see if you recognise from that - if not, then is it
possible to give us a close up of the flowers?
--
Kay

Old 23-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Lynda Thornton

In article ,
writes
http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html

Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for me,
before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going to be
something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember what it is (I
planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone who knows and posts.

Hi Clare

One useful thing to do is to search on google but select images - you
should get lots of photos and hopefully you will be able to compare them
to your plant and get a definite ID!

Good luck
Lynda

Old 23-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Emrys Davies

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
In article ,
writes
http://garden.fotopic.net/p12901226.html

Can someone please identify the unknown plant in the middle for me,
before my brain explodes with the effort ? I know it's going to be
something quite common, probably, but I cannot remember what it is (I
planted the damn thing too!). Thank you to anyone who knows and

posts.

Hi Clare

One useful thing to do is to search on google but select images - you
should get lots of photos and hopefully you will be able to compare

them
to your plant and get a definite ID!

Good luck
Lynda

Or read the thread and find the answer which was posted some time ago.
I have copied it to here.

Old 24-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Philippe Gautier

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:21:58 +0000, Philippe Gautier
wrote:

I'm almost sure it's Valeriana officinalis, maybe a white subspecies
since I think the wild form is pink. I've worked in genetics on these
plants for 2 years so, i should know.

Hello,

Well, you're right - looking at this
[
http://www.ville-ge.ch/cjb/BotSyst/A...CPR_VAL_1.jpg]
the flower is identical. I got all excited for a minute. But the
leaves look much darker in that picture than they are on the plant (the
leaves on my plant are quite yellowy-green), and look quite different.
The flower stems on my plant are thicker too. And the name rings no
bells, which I'm hoping it would if it was correct. Perhaps I should
take a pic of the leaves (obviously no flowers yet)? They are much
finer towards the flower stem, and get broader and bigger at the bottom
of the plant clump.

Hi Clare,

All I can say is that i remembered that even in wild populations of
Valerians, there was quite a large variety in leaves shape. In fact, i
was trying to find a correlation between any physical characteristic
(like leaves, size, etc) and the chemical composition of the essential
oil. So, I would not be surprised if in garden variety selected for
diferent characters, you can find an even bigger variety.

Philippe
Old 24-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Philippe Gautier

Philippe Gautier wrote:
wrote:

All I can say is that i remembered that even in wild populations of
Valerians, there was quite a large variety in leaves shape.

just to illustrate: if you look at this picture

http://www.plantimag.de/dat/0106047.html

the leaves look very different from the picture you refer to (and mybe a
bit closer to yours?)