Old 22-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Terry Pinnell

Default Plague of frogs

Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Old 22-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Cerumen

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

Given that they eat slugs I would welcome them settling in my vegetable
garden or flower beds.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 22-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Martin Brown

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

I wouldn't bother chasing them off. They disappear back into the
undergrowth again soon enough. And the goldfish will hoover up a fair
proportion of the tiddlers if left to their own devices. They seem to
let them grow for a while and then decide they make a tasty snack. At
least that is what seemed to happen in our pond. Some froglets did
emerge but as a proportion of the frogspawn it wasn't many!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

They go back into the undergrowth and lurk.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Tumbleweed

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

They will travel a fair distance to breed, it may well be they will then go
back to wherever they came from, presumably soemone elses garden.

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply?

I have 25 or so fish sharing a pond with between 25-50 frogs without any
problem. For most of the year only a few frogs to be seen in the pond, they
are out in the garden eating stuff (where its unlikely they'll be competing
with the goldfish for food :-) At this time of year, all the frogs will be
in the pond, but thats for sex, not food, and the goldfish wont be eating
much anyway. And the tadpoles, when they hatch, are initially vegetarians.

Some people say that goldfish eat tadpoles (in which case your fish will be
better off), though I have never actually seen one do that. It could be they
are so sated that when I am watching, they are full and so dont need to eat,
though they still eat the fish food.

I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream),

Oh dear you'll have the eco-nuts after you for that. But if its a
freeflowing stream, it will die anyway, they need still water.

but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

Jeez, they get one chance a year at sex and you've messed it up for this
poor guy or gal.

What else, if anything, should we do?

Just leave them alone

What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

Whats wrong with them in your flower beds? They'll eat a bunch of
insects/pests, including maybe slugs (though I've never actually seen one do
that)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 22-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Bob Hobden

"Terry Pinnell" wrote
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

Terry, the only problem these frogs could cause are..
1. They may have "Red Leg" which is also transmittable to fish.
2. A frustrated Male may mistake a fish for a female and hold it so tight
(amplexus?) it drowns.

Both just warrants observation by you, not action.

Unless you see one or other in which case..
1. You treat the pond with an "Ulcer" cure (the the benefit of both).
2. You net out the fish/frog and separate them (not as easy as it sounds!)

Oh, and don't spread the spawn around for the reason 1. above.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Phil L

Terry Pinnell wrote:
:: Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
:: our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!
::
:: I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what
:: about our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the
:: natural food supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting
:: delivery to a local stream), but my attempts with a net have so
:: far (groping around in the oxygenating plants) resulted in the
:: capture of only a single frog!
::
:: What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style
:: of your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle
:: down to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off
:: somewhere else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

You need to look up some information about frogs.
They eat garden pests, lots of them.
They will not impact on your goldfishes food.
You can't put the frogspawn in a river or stream, it needs still water -
find another pond and drop it in there.
The pond will attract frogs every year, so whatever you do you'll have to
get used to doing it.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 22-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

I've heard that, when faced with a plague of frogs, it is best to release
the Israelites immediately, or worse could follow.

Old 22-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Sacha

On 22/3/05 7:28, in article ,
"Terry Pinnell" wrote:

Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

I don't understand why you want to get rid of them. They're fascinating
creatures and great friends of the gardener, eating nasties you don't really
want in your garden. Frogs undergoing the loss of many ponds, dewponds etc,
and giving them a habitat is a highly desirable thing for all of us.
And please *don't* put the spawn into a stream. It will die.
Your fish are more likely to eat the tadpoles than the frogs to harm the
fish in any way. One of our ponds here is a haven for frogs and the other
night, we went out with a torch and had at least 36 heading that way and we
are thrilled to see ever one of them, as is The Grand Daughter whose
favourite pursuit at the moment is "hunt the frogs"!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

They usually go off to some dampish spot in the garden and hide away under
bushes or pots etc. The worst they can do if you find one in the flower bed
is make you jump a bit!
Please - just leave yours alone and worry about some really potential nasty
in your garden - like creeping buttercup.......or poking your eye out on a
bamboo cane - far more dangerous things than frogs!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-03-2005, 02:55 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

why are you removing spawn? Why do you want to remove frogs? They won't be
doing any damage.

Old 22-03-2005, 04:14 PM
JennyC

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message

[...]

Plague 1 - Blood
Plague 2 - Frogs
Plague 3 - Gnat
Plague 4 - Flies
Plague 5 - Disease in Livestock
Plague 6 - Boils
Plague 7 - Hail
Plague 8 - Locusts
Plague 9 - Darkness
Plague 10 - Death of Firstborn

Jenny

Old 22-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Terry Pinnell

"w.g.s.hamm" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

why are you removing spawn? Why do you want to remove frogs? They won't be
doing any damage.

OK, thanks all. My worry was plainly unfounded - no competition with
the sitting tenants over food after all. And I certainly hadn't
realised they were a positive *benefit* to the garden! So, I'll let
nature take its course.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Old 22-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Sla#s

"Cerumen" wrote in message

SNIP
Given that they eat slugs I would welcome them settling in my vegetable
garden or flower beds.

Aye Right! That's what we thought, so in went a pond, ten years later one
million frogs a fornication and still the same damage from slugs. So last
year I put down slug pellets and yes that reduced the damage. I thought that
would reduce the frog population but no, the pond is seething with the randy
buggers again.

Slatts

Old 22-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Bioboffin

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

Yes you should be worried about the frogs if you have fish. Frogs are not
too bright when it comes to mating, and male frogs will mount anything they
find, including your goldfish. This can cause the fish to be damaged - even
'drown' as a result. I think the competition for food is probably less of an
issue.

On the other hand, I'd personally rather have the frogs than the fish, so it
never worried me too much!

The frogs do disperse after mating. They are more interested in food, and
staying alive for the rest of the year. This means eating the insects and
slugs in your (and neighbours) gardens.

John.

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
unknown plague Dgaim Roses 3 30-05-2003 05:56 PM
woolly aphids plague on native plants Greg Wake Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM