Old 22-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default Fate of the Suppliers and References FAQ

Many moons ago - 1999 I put together (from suggestions given by other
posters to urg) a faq of suppliers. See link in sig - it's up again.

Well, Real Life (TM) has intervened somewhat in the last few years and
it was last updated in 2002 (and I remember not finishing it then). It
is now seriously out of date, in particular, lots of companies have got
websites, which they didn't have then, and I'm sure a few have moved ,
gone bust, and it could do with additions.

Now I'm happy to leave it up, hosting it isn't problem. But it could
really do with updating, or I will probably take it down. One day I may
get round to updating it, but don't hold your breath.

So, what do we think? Is it useful document still? (it was getting
steady flow of hits when I last looked) does someone want to take it
over an update it? (I could continue to host it if required). Or do I
stick it in the virtual bin?
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 22-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:14:09 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

Many moons ago - 1999 I put together (from suggestions given by other
posters to urg) a faq of suppliers. See link in sig - it's up again.

A very useful and interesting site. I'm sure urglers will be able to
update site info for you.
Seeing Abacus Nurseries as the first entry, what has happened to David
Hill? We have not heard from him lately.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-03-2005, 04:07 PM
JennyC

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Hi Chris,

pro's and cons:

The FAQ was really useful back in the days before Google came along to solve all
our 'I need to find such and such......'.
I'm personally slowly ditching nearly ALL my bookmarks, FAQ sites etc as I can
soon find what I need by searching.

However - lots of people are not very handy with search engines, so for them FAQ
etc are very useful indeed.

Maybe some other URGler will feel the urge to update it a bit.

Jenny

Old 22-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pam Moore" wrote
wrote:

Many moons ago - 1999 I put together (from suggestions given by other
posters to urg) a faq of suppliers. See link in sig - it's up again.

A very useful and interesting site. I'm sure urglers will be able to
update site info for you.
Seeing Abacus Nurseries as the first entry, what has happened to David
Hill? We have not heard from him lately.

He's been seen on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens but not too recently come to
think of it. Must be his busy time of year though.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 23-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , JennyC
writes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
Many moons ago - 1999 I put together (from suggestions given by other
posters to urg) a faq of suppliers. See link in sig - it's up again.

Now I'm happy to leave it up, hosting it isn't problem. But it could
really do with updating, or I will probably take it down. One day I may
get round to updating it, but don't hold your breath.

snip

However - lots of people are not very handy with search engines, so for
them FAQ
etc are very useful indeed.

Maybe some other URGler will feel the urge to update it a bit.

Well so far it seems not.

I think it is still a potentially useful resource, but if no one else is
willing to update it then I will probably take it down.

Old 25-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Many moons ago - 1999 I put together (from suggestions given by other
posters to urg) a faq of suppliers. See link in sig - it's up again.

A very useful and interesting site. I'm sure urglers will be able to
update site info for you.
Seeing Abacus Nurseries as the first entry, what has happened to David
Hill? We have not heard from him lately.

Pam in Bristol

I got some really interesting Dahlias from him last year including one
that was absolutely HUGE and had cut pets so looked like an enormous
shaggy aster. He sent e his catalogue though I see he isn't doing as
much this year but I believe his knee was playing him up.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , JennyC
writes

I can
soon find what I need by searching.

However - lots of people are not very handy with search engines, so for
them FAQ
etc are very useful indeed.

Actually I find that you don't get as comprehensive set of hits as you
used to with Google now they don't automatically add you to their list.
Several times I've been given a URL for an item because when searching
on Google it just doesn't come up. Online Greenhouses was one such site,
with their wooden staging (Buffalo) stuff.

Old 25-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

However - lots of people are not very handy with search engines, so
for them FAQ
etc are very useful indeed.

I suspect those who are handless-with-search-engines are also cut off
from the FAQs , and the urls they list :-)

Janet

Is that like getting second hand information?
Old 26-03-2005, 10:37 AM
JennyC

"VivienB" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:07:14 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

pro's and cons:

The FAQ was really useful back in the days before Google came along to solve

all
our 'I need to find such and such......'.
I'm personally slowly ditching nearly ALL my bookmarks, FAQ sites etc as I

can
soon find what I need by searching.

However - lots of people are not very handy with search engines, so for them

etc are very useful indeed.

Maybe some other URGler will feel the urge to update it a bit.

I find that search engines these days are cluttered with paid-for
entries and entries from the comparison shopping sites and the like. I
often don't have time to wade through them all.
I do keep bookmarks for websites I see recommended here or in
publications, if they are appropriate to me or my garden. I admit that
I have rarely looked at the FAQ - I forget it exists, despite having
it bookmarked!

My point exactly !! - I used to have so many bookmarks that I never knew what
I'd got. I'm slowly weeding them out and only keeping the really good
ones.........
Jenny

Old 28-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , VivienB
writes

I find that search engines these days are cluttered with paid-for
entries

I don't find that a problem, Google keep their 'sponsored links' and
adverts clear from the search results.

and entries from the comparison shopping sites and the like.

They are becoming a pain, coming up with some way to filter these out
would be very useful. It's not so much the comparison sites as the ones
that are basically just pages of links related to your search term that
pee me off.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Robert E A Harvey

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:
and entries from the comparison shopping sites and the like.

They are becoming a pain, coming up with some way to filter these out
would be very useful. It's not so much the comparison sites as the ones
that are basically just pages of links related to your search term that
pee me off.

I've written to Google about this several times in recent years, but had
no sensible response. I think that thier search ranking method
(counting links from other sites) is sensitive to being dominated by
this sort of thing, and since it was thier great innovation they are
reluctant to tinker with it.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:59 PM
JennyC

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:
and entries from the comparison shopping sites and the like.

They are becoming a pain, coming up with some way to filter these out
would be very useful. It's not so much the comparison sites as the ones
that are basically just pages of links related to your search term that
pee me off.

I've written to Google about this several times in recent years, but had
no sensible response. I think that thier search ranking method
(counting links from other sites) is sensitive to being dominated by
this sort of thing, and since it was thier great innovation they are
reluctant to tinker with it.

I was discussing how google works with a friend...... how do they search
nowadays?
It used to be the amount of links one had to ones site, but I have the feeling
that they might have changed their 'formula'

Sorry if this is a bit OT but there are lots of computer buffs hanging about
round here who might know the answer "~)
Jenny

Old 03-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Bob

JennyC wrote:
I was discussing how google works with a friend...... how do they search
nowadays?
It used to be the amount of links one had to ones site, but I have the feeling
that they might have changed their 'formula'

I think it's a bit of a secret, but AFAIK that's still true, with some
whitelist/blacklist mods. I think that's how some of the 'I'm feeling
lucky' gags are engineereed - people able to dump hundreds of pages with
links up for indexing (or one page with hundreds of DNS aliases)