Old 11-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Howard

Default Waht IS this thing?

I have been thro' the FAQ but to no avail. I found a creature
that I have never seen before.

I so wish I could post a pic, but I'm not equiped for that.

It's is slug like, worm like, leech like. A dark olive green
colour, maybe 2/3" long difficult to measure when it's curled.

One end is worm like the other is fatter and flatter, blade like
at times, clearly variable.

I have it in a jar!

--
Howard
Old 11-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Phil L

Howard wrote:
:: I have been thro' the FAQ but to no avail. I found a creature
:: that I have never seen before.
::
:: I so wish I could post a pic, but I'm not equiped for that.
::
:: It's is slug like, worm like, leech like. A dark olive green
:: colour, maybe 2/3" long difficult to measure when it's curled.
::
:: One end is worm like the other is fatter and flatter, blade like
:: at times, clearly variable.
::
:: I have it in a jar!
::

In my experience, it's a leech, put it on your finger and see if it starts
sucking....don't worry about it not coming off as they do, and they don't
hurt neither.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote after...
Howard wrote:
:: I have been thro' the FAQ but to no avail. I found a creature
:: that I have never seen before.
::
:: I so wish I could post a pic, but I'm not equiped for that.
::
:: It's is slug like, worm like, leech like. A dark olive green
:: colour, maybe 2/3" long difficult to measure when it's curled.
::
:: One end is worm like the other is fatter and flatter, blade like
:: at times, clearly variable.
::
:: I have it in a jar!
::

In my experience, it's a leech, put it on your finger and see if it starts
sucking....don't worry about it not coming off as they do, and they don't
hurt neither.

Or maybe a New Zealand Flat Worm, I hope not for your sake.
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/~worms/artioposthia.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2039580.stm

--
Regards
Bob

Old 11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Phil L

Bob Hobden wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote after...
::: Howard wrote:
::::: I have been thro' the FAQ but to no avail. I found a creature
::::: that I have never seen before.
:::::
::::: I so wish I could post a pic, but I'm not equiped for that.
:::::
::::: It's is slug like, worm like, leech like. A dark olive green
::::: colour, maybe 2/3" long difficult to measure when it's curled.
:::::
::::: One end is worm like the other is fatter and flatter, blade like
::::: at times, clearly variable.
:::::
::::: I have it in a jar!
:::::
:::
::: In my experience, it's a leech, put it on your finger and see if
::: it starts sucking....don't worry about it not coming off as they
::: do, and they don't hurt neither.
:::
:::
:: Or maybe a New Zealand Flat Worm, I hope not for your sake.
:: http://biodiversity.uno.edu/~worms/artioposthia.html
:: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2039580.stm
::
::

After checking Howard's IP address (Preston) this is a distinct possibility.
DEFRA says that they are most prevalent in S Scotland, N Irealnd and NW
England.
There's a page here with details of what to do:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/flat.htm

Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Kay

In article , Howard
writes
I have been thro' the FAQ but to no avail. I found a creature
that I have never seen before.

I so wish I could post a pic, but I'm not equiped for that.

It's is slug like, worm like, leech like. A dark olive green
colour, maybe 2/3" long difficult to measure when it's curled.

If it's leech like, what makes you think it isn't a leech?
Do you mean 'two-thirds of an inch' of 'two to three inches'?
Is it segmented? - ie, can you see very faint lines going round it?
Does it have any other sort of colouring or patterning if you look at it
very closely?

One end is worm like the other is fatter and flatter, blade like
at times, clearly variable.

Do as Phil suggests - advance your finger towards the blade-like end and
see if it tries to attach itself. It won't do you any harm - our leeches
(with the exception of the medicinal leech which is incredibly rare) are
designed to feed on much softer stuff than human fingers.

I have it in a jar!

--
Kay

Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Bob Hobden wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote after...
::: Howard wrote:
[...]

Why? They don't seem to have had anywhere near the effect that was
feared, and in their home territory, european earthworms have colonised
quite happily.

:: http://biodiversity.uno.edu/~worms/artioposthia.html
:: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2039580.stm
::
::

After checking Howard's IP address (Preston) this is a distinct possibility.
DEFRA says that they are most prevalent in S Scotland, N Irealnd and NW
England.

leeches are quit prevalent in Preston too ;-)

There's a page here with details of what to do:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/flat.htm

This page also has a picture of one of the leeches, so is quit useful
for identifying whether you have a flatworm or a leech

--
Kay

Old 11-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Howard

Phil L wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote after...
::: Howard wrote:
::::: I have been thro' the FAQ but to no avail. I found a creature
::::: that I have never seen before.
:::::
::::: I so wish I could post a pic, but I'm not equiped for that.
:::::
::::: It's is slug like, worm like, leech like. A dark olive green
::::: colour, maybe 2/3" long difficult to measure when it's curled.

There's a page here with details of what to do:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/flat.htm

Following this ^^^^^^^^^ link, it's a leech! It's just like
bottom left.

I thank you all.

--
Howard