Old 14-04-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Climbers to cover a wall

I have an east-facing wall at the end of my garden which is about five
metres wide and two metres tall. On top of it is a metal fence of a
sort of grill construction which is itself another two metres high.
Behind all that is a hideous block of flats resembling a gulag. The
plan is to grow some climbers to block the view through the fence. I'm
going to put some vine eyes and wires onto the wall and I think the
fence should be ideal to take climbers. The only question is what to
plant.

I'm reckoning on planting five climbers along the base of the wall. Is
it OK to mix and match? I was thinking of two plants of the same sort
of ivy (ideally fast-growing and variagated) to provide year-round
screening, unless you have any other suggestions for evergreens? Then
perhaps two climbing roses and a honeysuckle for a bit of interest.
What do you think?

Old 14-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Mike

Russian vine and equip yourself with a good hedgetrimmer to keep YOUR side
in order

Mike

You will now be bombarded with NO NO NO from such as Sacha who has attacked
me before for recommending such a thug BUT I have seen Russian Vine used in
such a position and it is great :-))

OK sacha all yours :-))

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
ups.com...

Old 14-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
wrote:
I have an east-facing wall at the end of my garden which is about five
metres wide and two metres tall. On top of it is a metal fence of a
sort of grill construction which is itself another two metres high.
Behind all that is a hideous block of flats resembling a gulag. The
plan is to grow some climbers to block the view through the fence. I'm
going to put some vine eyes and wires onto the wall and I think the
fence should be ideal to take climbers. The only question is what to
plant.

I'm reckoning on planting five climbers along the base of the wall. Is
it OK to mix and match? I was thinking of two plants of the same sort
of ivy (ideally fast-growing and variagated) to provide year-round
screening, unless you have any other suggestions for evergreens? Then
perhaps two climbing roses and a honeysuckle for a bit of interest.

In principle, it sounds excellent - but your choice of climbers is
not ideal (and nor is Russian vine). You really, really do not want
to have to trim anything that climbs to the top and starts causing
a nuisance. And the really vigorous climbers will reach the top
and start coming down again.

So.

No roses unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain that they will not take
anyone's eyes out as they do that. I exempt Zepherine Drouhin and
other thornless roses, but they don't cling so will need tying back,
which is a pain.

Otherwise, it depends a lot on how good the soil is, how deep, what
type it is and whether there is plenty of light. If you are all
right with that (i.e. deep well-draining soil, not necessarily rich
and decent light) and don't live too far north, you are fine.

Campsis x taglibuana "Mme Galen" is the orange-red trumpet you
see in Brittany, and should do (though it prefers more sun). It
is like ivy in that it climbs straight up while attached to a wall
and flowers when it waggles loose, so is self-limiting. I can
recommend it.

Clematis armandii is evergreen and fairly hardy, vigorous, and has
scented white or pink flowers in spring. A definite.

Clematis tangutica/orientalis is good but will look ragged in
winter. There are lots of other good deciduous clematis, too, with
the same characteristics (if not quite so disreputable off-season).

There are lots of honeysuckles that would do, almost all deciduous,
though L. henryi is evergreen and fairly hardy (and unexciting).
L. japonica is evergreen in warm winter areas. Indeed, there are
few that WON'T do.

Don't bother with Akebia quinata or any jasmines (I can't speak
for Trachelospermum asiaticum in warm winter areas).

Wisteria will take some time to get there, but would be spectacular,
and will get out of control :-)

There is also H. petiolaris and a good many hydrangea relatives,
that cling to walls, plus vines (including Virginia creeper etc.).

And, initially, don't forget to grow runner beans, morning glory
and Thunbergia alata (all annuals) :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Kay

In article . com,
writes
[...]

The ivies will be far more vigorous than the roses and honeysuckle and I
think would overwhelm them. I would stick to the roses and honeysuckle,
and try planting something eye-catching elsewhere in the garden to draw
the focus away from the trellis towards the other feature - this is
often more effective than trying to blot out the eyesore.

There is an evergreen clematis - C armandii. A bit tender - it depends
where you are.

--
Kay

Old 14-04-2005, 07:56 PM
p00kie

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Climbing hydrangea?

Old 14-04-2005, 08:17 PM
JennyC

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Variegated ivy does not grow very fast and the bog standard green stuff is a
nightmare to keep in check.
Roses will be bare in winter.
Most honeysuckle gets all twiggy and messy looking, except henryi which is
pretty fast growing.

What about a different approach altogether?
Maybe treading coloured strips of plastic through the grill?
Or maybe even rig up a waterfall (metal sheeting attached to the grill with a
long trough all the way along the top)

If you are still keen on climbers have a look at :
http://www.plantsman.com/favourites/...s.instant.html

jenny

Old 14-04-2005, 08:44 PM
andrewpreece

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Virginia Creeper will provide a fast, dense solution, with a spectacular red
colour in autumn, and is self-clinging. It is not evergreen though, and
leaves
dead twiggy bits on your wall in the autumn when it dies back. There are
roses
that are very vigorous (e.g. Kiftsgate and about 4 or 5 others, all with
cream
or white flowers ). They will take over your wall no problem, but they tend
flower once in about june and then are done, though some have red rose hips
for autumn interest. In fact there are some repeat flowering roses that will
easily reach 4 metres tall, and some roses can be virtually evergreen in a
mild
area, Kiftsgate has had that said about it. Repeat flowering climbers you
could
look at are Madame Alfred Carriere, climbing Etoile de Hollande, Climbing
Caroline Testout, etc. Not sure how roses get on with Virginia Creeper.

Variegated ivies, as has been mentioned, aren't all that quick. I've had a
couple
that have only covered a few inches per year. You could plant suitable
clematis
in with other stuff, to give you colour when other stuff has finished
flowering. Try
looking at the Viticella hybrids if you don't want the anguish of clematis
wilt
knocking your clematis back every other year.

Andy.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Kay

In article , andrewpreece
writes

Virginia Creeper will provide a fast, dense solution, with a spectacular red
colour in autumn, and is self-clinging. It is not evergreen though, and
leaves
dead twiggy bits on your wall in the autumn when it dies back. There are
roses
that are very vigorous (e.g. Kiftsgate and about 4 or 5 others, all with
cream
or white flowers ).

Kiftsgate is *far* too vigorous for a garden wall. It needs a 30 ft
mature tree. Virginia creeper equally - it will be just far too much of
a maintenance problem.

--
Kay

Old 15-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Kay wrote:
In article , andrewpreece
writes

Virginia Creeper will provide a fast, dense solution, with a
spectacular red colour in autumn, and is self-clinging. It is not
evergreen though, and leaves
dead twiggy bits on your wall in the autumn when it dies back. There
are roses
that are very vigorous (e.g. Kiftsgate and about 4 or 5 others, all
with cream
or white flowers ).

Kiftsgate is *far* too vigorous for a garden wall. It needs a 30 ft
mature tree. Virginia creeper equally - it will be just far too much
of a maintenance problem.

I agree, Kay, we have it growing up the side of the house, under the carport
and it's a nightmare to keep in check. If it was me, I'd go for a clematis
(but, then, they are one of my favourites - I have a gorgeous deep purple
with pink stripes down at the bottom of the garden, but I forget what it's
called...)

Old 15-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Kay wrote:
In article , andrewpreece
writes

[...]

If it's sheltered and sunny, why not plant a kiwi fruit, and end up with
something to eat as well as having a vigorous (rampant!) wall cover?

Old 15-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , JennyC wrote:

Variegated ivy does not grow very fast and the bog standard green stuff is a
nightmare to keep in check.

For that use, probably not. As I mentioned, ivy grows straight up
while clinging, and bushes out and flowers when waggling free. Its
ground growth is more similar to its clinging form. But this does
mean that it is self limiting - IF the structure is strong enough
to take the weight and windage.

That last is a serious point. If there is any way that wind can
get at that wall, ivy (and even other climbers) could make it
dangerous. A 4 metre wall has a hell of a leverage in a wind,
and a mere double brick one could well blow over - well, it WILL
blow over if hit by a significant wind.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Duncan Heenan wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Kay wrote:
In article , andrewpreece
writes

[...]

If by "kiwi fruit" you mean a Chinese gooseberry (/Actinidia chinensis/) -
no, no, no and thrice times no! Apart from the fact the cats love it, it
looks like something from a John Wyndham novel and is hell to keep under
control - mine grows at a mile a minute - almost literally. And it produces
no fruit )probably because I only have the one plant - you need both a male
and a female for it to fruit). I've had mine against a south-facing wall for
five years and all it's done in that time is grown - both width and height
wise - it's a horrible thing. I only keep it because the cats like to play
with it.

Old 15-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" writes:

| If by "kiwi fruit" you mean a Chinese gooseberry (/Actinidia chinensis/) -
| no, no, no and thrice times no! Apart from the fact the cats love it, it
| looks like something from a John Wyndham novel and is hell to keep under
| control - mine grows at a mile a minute - almost literally. And it produces
| no fruit )probably because I only have the one plant - you need both a male
| and a female for it to fruit). I've had mine against a south-facing wall for
| five years and all it's done in that time is grown - both width and height
| wise - it's a horrible thing. I only keep it because the cats like to play
| with it.

Some of us LIKE things that look like things from John Wyndham novels!

Yes, it is dioecious. The OP has a 5 metre x 4 metre area to cover,
so it isn't out of the question. But I agree that it isn't ideal.
I believe that the other, more decorative and less edible, actinidas
are less aggressive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| If the OP can get hold
| of Holboellia, that's evergreen and scented and depending on where he lives,
| hardy down to -5 or a little lower.

Mine takes -8 without flinching, but it loses its buds every year
because of late frosts. The shoots regrow, but the flowers don't.
My guess is that, as a non-flowering plant, it might be able to
take quite a lot lower. As a flowering one, I doubt that it could
handle even -5 after (say) January.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.