Old 14-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Sacha

Default The Plantsman Nursery

Guy Sissons of the above nursery came in a couple of days ago. His move to
France will take place before Christmas so anyone wanting anything from him
would be well advised to contact him quickly. www.plantsman.com or email on

David, he brought only one Lonicera hilderbrandiana but I've asked him for
another if he has one. Otherwise, can you wait for our baby to grow and
we'll take cuttings? He also brought an Akebia quinata alba, which we're
looking forward to seeing in flower!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

David, he brought only one Lonicera hilderbrandiana but I've asked him for
another if he has one. Otherwise, can you wait for our baby to grow and
we'll take cuttings?

What's that like? Not that small-leaved shrub with the small
mauve/purple flowers? If so, I've oooooodles of them accidentally
layered.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-11-2005, 04:10 PM
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Guy Sissons of the above nursery came in a couple of days ago. His move to
France will take place before Christmas ...........
Sacha

Where in France please?
Jenny

Old 14-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

L. hildebrandiana is a climbing honey suckle but much larger flowers and
frost tender. We want to grow it in one of the glasshouses, take some
cuttings and experiment with it outside. It's very vigorous given enough
warmth, apparently and can reach great heights - literally! I think it's
nickname is the giant Burmese honeysuckle. I can't think of which shrubby
one you mean. In the garden, we have L. involucrata, which I love and a
deep pinky red one that nobody seems to be able to identify but that's not
the right colour for ours.

I mean the one which is used as a hedge.

Nemmind. ICBA to google to see, as I was sure you'd know which one you
meant...

Old 14-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these
words:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

L. hildebrandiana is a climbing honey suckle but much larger flowers and
frost tender. We want to grow it in one of the glasshouses, take some
cuttings and experiment with it outside. It's very vigorous given enough
warmth, apparently and can reach great heights - literally! I think it's
nickname is the giant Burmese honeysuckle. I can't think of which shrubby
one you mean. In the garden, we have L. involucrata, which I love and a
deep pinky red one that nobody seems to be able to identify but that's not
the right colour for ours.

I mean the one which is used as a hedge.

Nemmind. ICBA to google to see, as I was sure you'd know which one you
meant...

Lonicera nitida (more upright) or Lonicera pileata (more horizontal), I
believe.

Janet G
Old 14-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Sacha

On 14/11/05 17:40, in article ,
"Janet Galpin" wrote:

[...]

Both have white/cream flowers, though and I think Rusty mentioned
mauve/purply ones. L. pileata roots easily from bent over tips and has
purple berries, so perhaps it's that one? They're both hedging Lonicera.
We have L. nitida Baggesens Gold growing as a pillar on a nursery path and
it looks wonderful. I'd be tempted to use it to frame or edge some garden
feature and let it grow to the 6' or more it's gone to here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Both have white/cream flowers, though and I think Rusty mentioned
mauve/purply ones. L. pileata roots easily from bent over tips and has
purple berries, so perhaps it's that one? They're both hedging Lonicera.
We have L. nitida Baggesens Gold growing as a pillar on a nursery path and
it looks wonderful. I'd be tempted to use it to frame or edge some garden
feature and let it grow to the 6' or more it's gone to here.

The one I have tends to fall over, and to get a four foot hedge to stand
up I had to stake it.

Old 15-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

He also brought an Akebia quinata alba, which we're
looking forward to seeing in flower!

Good variety - the normal dull purplish flowers rarely show up well,
but the white form is extremely effective. The fruits are white as
well and it is more reliably evergreen, which makes it doubly useful.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Is this the plant I saw in "The Garden" a couple of years ago? I wouldn't
mind getting my hands on one!
I to have Lonicera hilderbrandiana and will bear you in mind David if I can
get cuttings going.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Sacha

On 15/11/05 8:53, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

He also brought an Akebia quinata alba, which we're
looking forward to seeing in flower!

Good variety - the normal dull purplish flowers rarely show up well,
but the white form is extremely effective. The fruits are white as
well and it is more reliably evergreen, which makes it doubly useful.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Is this the plant I saw in "The Garden" a couple of years ago? I wouldn't
mind getting my hands on one!
I to have Lonicera hilderbrandiana and will bear you in mind David if I can
get cuttings going.

Remind me about the Akebia, Charlie and once it's big enough I'm sure there
could be one for you next time you pop in. ;-) Saw PH today and she's
thrilled to hear the white Cobea she's given you has done so well. Hers is
up round the chimney, apparently!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2005, 06:41 PM
JennyC

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Sacha:
Remind me about the Akebia, Charlie and once it's big enough I'm sure there
could be one for you next time you pop in. ;-) Saw PH today and she's
thrilled to hear the white Cobea she's given you has done so well. Hers is
up round the chimney, apparently!

How very, very odd. I was pondering what to grow around the back door
for the next year or so. I don't want another Pandorea for that spot
and don't feel that Passifloras would be quite right. I also want
something to do it all in like ... yesterday! I decided that the
white Cobaea would do the job and scuttled up the road to get some
seed this afternoon!
Dave Poole

Chopped mine down at the weekend as they forecasted frost soon.........it was
ginourmous. Planed in feb in the GH and planted out in early may (I think)

It was very 'jungly' so will go well in your patch David :~)

Jenny

Old 15-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Sacha

On 15/11/05 18:21, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote in response to Charlie

I to have Lonicera hilderbrandiana and will bear you in mind David if I can
get cuttings going.

That s very kind of you Charlie. They are not too difficult to get
going - half ripe nodal cuttings are best. Trim to two nodes, remove
the lower pair of leaves and wound the internode to the base, but
leave the buds intact. Reduce each of the remaining leaves by half.
Insert deeply in perlite/sharp sand etc in a closed frame with base
heat to 24C. Mist causes the leaves to yellow and drop. Rooting
takes about 6-8 weeks. That's the easy bit - the cuttings can then
sit for a year before making any growth :| They do best if well
established in first pots well before winter.

Sacha:
Remind me about the Akebia, Charlie and once it's big enough I'm sure there
could be one for you next time you pop in. ;-) Saw PH today and she's
thrilled to hear the white Cobea she's given you has done so well. Hers is
up round the chimney, apparently!

How very, very odd. I was pondering what to grow around the back door
for the next year or so. I don't want another Pandorea for that spot
and don't feel that Passifloras would be quite right. I also want
something to do it all in like ... yesterday! I decided that the
white Cobaea would do the job and scuttled up the road to get some
seed this afternoon!

David - for heaven's sake - we have some potted up right now! We could
only get 5 off the baby that we were given but.......and by next year, there
will be more! I'm suggesting to Ray that we plant the white and purple
together to take the place of a Wisteria that the house shingle tiles don't
much appreciate! I'd like to see what happens.
One condition and not a very strict one - a few photos of your garden for
the urg web ring. ;-)
And that climbing Dicentra you gave us is going great guns up the front of
the house, BTW. Charlie, do you have that?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 15/11/05 18:21, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha:
Remind me about the Akebia, Charlie and once it's big enough I'm sure

there
could be one for you next time you pop in. ;-) Saw PH today and she's
thrilled to hear the white Cobea she's given you has done so well.

Hers is
up round the chimney, apparently!

snip David - for heaven's sake - we have some potted up right now! We
could
only get 5 off the baby that we were given but.......and by next year,

there
will be more! I'm suggesting to Ray that we plant the white and purple
together to take the place of a Wisteria that the house shingle tiles

don't
much appreciate! I'd like to see what happens.
One condition and not a very strict one - a few photos of your garden for
the urg web ring. ;-)
And that climbing Dicentra you gave us is going great guns up the front of
the house, BTW. Charlie, do you have that?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Thanks for the prop tips re Lonicera David (I will do them next year with
the clematis as they do not like mist either)
Sacha I will remind you next year about the Akebia, I know Ray has problems
with the cuttings like me (very frustrating for such an easy to grow plant)
And yes I do have the perennial climbing Dicentra, I call it scandens
although there seems some dispute over the name!
I can recommend the white Cobea still flowering after the frost :-)