Old 22-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered User

Unhappy The Common Woodlouse...

...(or 'slater' as they are often called here in Scotland).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of the pesky things? We are currently experiencing an increase in the woodlouse population in and around our garden, and indeed and some even have the nerve to make it into the house. I hate the things and really need them all to disappear as soon as...

So if anyone has a similar problem or can help me with any advice, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you
Old 23-05-2005, 08:10 AM

On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:31:12 +0000, feebib
wrote:

..(or 'slater' as they are often called here in Scotland).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of the
pesky things? We are currently experiencing an increase in the woodlouse
population in and around our garden, and indeed and some even have the
nerve to make it into the house. I hate the things and really need them
all to disappear as soon as...

So if anyone has a similar problem or can help me with any advice, I'd
appreciate it.
Thank you

They're all part of nature and should be tolerated as such.

If they come into the house and you don't wish to touch them, tear a
small piece of paper off a newspaper and let them crawl onto it. Then
carry them back to the garden.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 23-05-2005, 09:30 AM
batgirl

What are they doing to annoy you? Playing knock out ginger on the back door?
Telling Bernard Manning jokes? Playing their music too loud? For heavens
sake, why do many people on this newsgroup want to exterminate everything
that doesn't fit in with their idea of a perfect garden???

Clare (waiting for another onslaught)

--
feebib

Old 23-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Victoria Clare

feebib wrote in news:feebib.1pgpk2
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

..(or 'slater' as they are often called here in Scotland).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of the
pesky things? We are currently experiencing an increase in the woodlouse
population in and around our garden, and indeed and some even have the
nerve to make it into the house. I hate the things and really need them
all to disappear as soon as...

They like dampish (but not wet) dark places and decaying wood and organic
matter. If you have a lot of them about they are probably coming from
somewhere like a very old leaky shed or a pile of logs, or perhaps inside
old terracotta flowerpots.

If your compost heap has too many twigs in it and isn't rotting down
quickly, that is another possibility. If so, get a shredder to chop the
twigs, and turn the heap regularly so it rots quicker and hotter.

Sweep your paving and move any pots about regularly so they don't become
hiding places, and try to organise things so there are fewer shady nooks.

They are quite harmless, but if you want to reduce their numbers, you
should identify their habitats and remove hiding places near your house.
You will never eliminate them, but you should be able to reduce the numbers
so you can enjoy your garden.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 23-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Colin

wrote:

..(or 'slater' as they are often called here in Scotland).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of the
pesky things? We are currently experiencing an increase in the woodlouse
population in and around our garden, and indeed and some even have the
nerve to make it into the house. I hate the things and really need them
all to disappear as soon as...

Dont be so petty. If you want a perfect world to look at go and buy a
painting.

f thats all you have to worry about in life you are lucky indeed.

Old 23-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Victoria Clare

"batgirl" wrote in
:

What are they doing to annoy you? Playing knock out ginger on the back
door? Telling Bernard Manning jokes? Playing their music too loud? For
heavens sake, why do many people on this newsgroup want to exterminate
everything that doesn't fit in with their idea of a perfect garden???

A lot of gardening is about removing things you don't like and encouraging
things you do.

If feebib has a thing about woodlice, I don't see what is wrong with
managing the area round the house to keep them at a safe distance: they
aren't rare, and there are lots of interesting garden environments that are
good for other forms of wildlife but don't favour woodlice so much.

Victoria
Old 23-05-2005, 08:25 PM
ned

"feebib" wrote in message

..(or 'slater' as they are often called here in Scotland).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of

the
pesky things? We are currently experiencing an increase in the

woodlouse
population in and around our garden, and indeed and some even have

the
nerve to make it into the house. I hate the things and really need

them
all to disappear as soon as...

So if anyone has a similar problem or can help me with any advice,

I'd
appreciate it.

The natural solution would be to encourage Dysdera crocota.
But it's fangs may persuade you that the woodlouse is the lesser of
two phobias.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 17.05.2005

Old 23-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Spider

ned wrote in message ...

"feebib" wrote in message

[...]

Quite right, too, Ned! Dysdera crocata are great spiders (with fangs
specially designed for eating woodlice, for those who don't know). I'm not
sure if D.c. occurs as far north as Scotland, though.

I've never had a plague of woodlice, but if I want to 'lose' a few, I put
them on my compost heap. Perfect for them .. perfect for me.

Spider

Old 24-05-2005, 09:19 AM
TheScullster

********************
If feebib has a thing about woodlice, I don't see what is wrong with
managing the area round the house to keep them at a safe distance: they
aren't rare, and there are lots of interesting garden environments that are
good for other forms of wildlife but don't favour woodlice so much.
*******************

Well said Victoria!
I, too, am quite content to let these critters wander under the beach tree
and around the shed and make no effort to clear them from there. I
encourage wild life into the garden, feed birds etc. That is their comfort
zone.
The house and its immediate perimeter is mine and I don't welcome them in.

Phil

Old 24-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Des Higgins

"Spider" wrote in message

ned wrote in message

"feebib" wrote in message

[...]

Gasp; that is an uncanny number of people on one newsgroup that know their
spiders; I am impressed!
Dysdera is indeed a woodlouse killer although, I suspect you would need a
few million of them to make an impact.
Nice thought though :-).

Old 24-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from feebib contains these words:

...(or 'slater' as they are often called here in Scotland).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of the
pesky things? We are currently experiencing an increase in the woodlouse
population in and around our garden, and indeed and some even have the
nerve to make it into the house. I hate the things

Why?

and really need them
all to disappear as soon as...

Why?

So if anyone has a similar problem or can help me with any advice, I'd
appreciate it.
Thank you

Well, the poor (who are always with us) used to make 'fish' stock by
simmering woodlice. Apparantly, the stock tastes strongly of shrimps,
which I suppose isn't entirely surprising.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

/snip/

[...]

I moved one from a bed last year and rehoused her in the front garden,
as she had decided that my family of juvenile crickets was tastier than
woodlice.

Crickets are back again, but have dispersed amongst all the stuff I'm
growing in pots. Last year a couple of survivors lived amongst the lemon
seedlings - well, small trees...

Old 24-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Victoria Clare

"Spider" wrote in
:

ned wrote in message

"feebib" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of

the
pesky things?

The natural solution would be to encourage Dysdera crocota.
But it's fangs may persuade you that the woodlouse is the lesser of
two phobias.

Quite right, too, Ned! Dysdera crocata are great spiders (with fangs
specially designed for eating woodlice, for those who don't know).
I'm not sure if D.c. occurs as far north as Scotland, though.

I've never had a plague of woodlice, but if I want to 'lose' a few, I
put them on my compost heap. Perfect for them .. perfect for me.

Would a woodlouse-eating spider work to control woodlouse numbers? I'd
have thought the right environment would encourage both - the way you get
more buzzards when there are lots of rabbits about?

(I rather like wood lice, myself, but am not a big spider fan).

Victoria
Old 24-05-2005, 03:50 PM
BAC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

snip

Well, the poor (who are always with us) used to make 'fish' stock by
simmering woodlice. Apparantly, the stock tastes strongly of shrimps,
which I suppose isn't entirely surprising.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cooked and ate some on one of his cook on the
wild side programmes. I think he sort of mashed them into a porridge, can't
remember the recipe.

Old 24-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Spider

Victoria Clare wrote in message
.205...
"Spider" wrote in
:

ned wrote in message

"feebib" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure you're right, Victoria. No sensible creature is going to eat
itself out of house and home, but a few Dysdera must make a difference.

Can't I persuade you to become a spider fan? We're very cuddly really! :~)

Spider
(I'm only scary 'cos I'm hairy)