Old 25-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Sla#s

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:54:50 +0100, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

SNIP That is very very definitely C.sativa.

Certainly looks like it to me.

If in doubt, pull a leaf off, dry it out and burn it - there's no
mistaking the distinctive aroma.
If that fails to convince you, try again with a larger quantity....

Bit of a myth that.
It's the flowers that are smoked, not the leaves.
There is very little of the active ingredients in the leaves.

Slatts

Old 25-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Larry Stoter

Lee Davison wrote:

Hi,
I came across these plant pretty deep in the woods, it looked like someone
was cultivating it wild. You can probably guess what I thought it was, can
anyone on here either confirm or deny what im thinking? Im aware there might
be many species of similar leaf shape.

http://www.geocities.com/ldavison10/WildPlant.html

It has certainly got my curiosity aroused!
Thanks
Lee

The problem, so I have been told, is that although identification of the
species is relatively straightforward, there are a number of varieties,
with widely varying concentrations of 'active ingredients'.

Typically, the variety that turns up in commercial mixed bird seed has
sufficient active ingredients to make a teetotal granny develop a very
slight flush.

On the other hand, a carefully selected Morocoan variety, developed by
the locals over the last 1000 years, would make a donkey's eyes cross at
100 m.

Of course, until a recent Home Secretary discovered that there were
other interesting side effects, apart from releaving constipation in
Black Labradors, plod got out his truncheon irrespective of whether it
was being grown for making door mats*, feeding the tweeters or trying to
lead feckless youths onto hard habits with crack.

*Some years ago, apparently, there was a big 'problem' because the EU or
perhaps it was the UK had supplied seed, money and advice to
reinvigorate the Bangladeshi hemp industry, not realising that all
cultivation of hemp had recently been made highly illegal, the
politicians in both countries not understanding that 'hemp' cultivtation
for the manufacture of of rope and 'canabis' are the same species. And I
think that 'jute' for all those very effective doormats is also the
same species.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 25-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:11:15 +0100, "Sla#s"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

SNIP That is very very definitely C.sativa.

Certainly looks like it to me.

If in doubt, pull a leaf off, dry it out and burn it - there's no
mistaking the distinctive aroma.
If that fails to convince you, try again with a larger quantity....

Bit of a myth that.
It's the flowers that are smoked, not the leaves.
There is very little of the active ingredients in the leaves.

There's certainly enough to ensure a positive identification, the
resin containing the THCs etc. flows throughout the plant - and
concentrates in the buds.
As you can see from the piccy, there aren't any buds yet.

Burning the leaves will be sufficient for identification...if anything
more is required, well, that's another matter...

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 25-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:57:33 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

Certainly looks like it to me.

If in doubt, pull a leaf off, dry it out and burn it - there's no
mistaking the distinctive aroma.

That does presuppose you have already experienced the aroma..

I think the chances, in this instance, are better than fair to
middling.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 26-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Des Higgins

wrote:

SNIP That is very very definitely C.sativa.

Certainly looks like it to me.

If in doubt, pull a leaf off, dry it out and burn it - there's no
mistaking the distinctive aroma.
If that fails to convince you, try again with a larger quantity....

Bit of a myth that.
It's the flowers that are smoked, not the leaves.
There is very little of the active ingredients in the leaves.

Ehhhh please understand that I have not ehhh inhaled myself as such and what
I know about this species is purely from reading articles in Time Magazine
and watching Channel 4 and ehhh watching people at ehhh hapenings in the
1970s but ehhhh I can assure you that the leaves of appropriate varieties
have more than enough to make you want to listen to reggae with a daft
expression on your face. The flowers are indeed more potent, but the leaves
more than enough to make it worth harvesting the lot. When you consider
that big plants (go google and see what I mean) can grow to 3 metres or so
in height, under ideal conditions, you are talking about serious volumes of
herbiage man per plant. Or at least I think so, my short term memory is
buggered.

Slatts

Old 26-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

That does presuppose you have already experienced the aroma..

I think the chances, in this instance, are better than fair to
middling.

AFAIK I haven't...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Tone contains these words:

If in doubt, pull a leaf off, dry it out and burn it - there's no
mistaking the distinctive aroma.
If that fails to convince you, try again with a larger quantity....

Bit of a myth that.
It's the flowers that are smoked, not the leaves.
There is very little of the active ingredients in the leaves.

Slatts

That surely shows your ignorance of the stuff

I should think that if it's grown in even partial shade the chances of
getting much of a worthwhile experience (FSVO worthwhile?) from it, even
when it reaches its theoretical prime.

Old 26-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:09:10 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

That does presuppose you have already experienced the aroma..

I think the chances, in this instance, are better than fair to
middling.

AFAIK I haven't...

That doesn't surprise me at all - but 'in this instance' refers to the
OP.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 26-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Larry
Stoter writes
And I think that 'jute' for all those very effective doormats is also
the same species.

I wouldn't like to swear that noone calls Cannabis sativa jute (nothing
shows up on a cursory googling) - the names jute and hemp, adjectivally
qualified, are applied to a fair variety of species exploited for fibre,
but jute usually applies to the genus Corchorus, and especially to the
species C. olitorius and C. capsularis.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Economic/Overview.html
Old 26-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:
The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

That does presuppose you have already experienced the aroma..

I think the chances, in this instance, are better than fair to
middling.

AFAIK I haven't...

Take a drive around Brixton and inhale the 'fresh' air

I used to walk around Brixton a lot, but that was getting on for thirty
years ago...

Old 26-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:
The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

That does presuppose you have already experienced the aroma..

I think the chances, in this instance, are better than fair to
middling.

AFAIK I haven't...

That doesn't surprise me at all - but 'in this instance' refers to the
OP.

Yes, I know to whom it referred, but while I've seen the stuff, I've not
knowingly been present when it's been smoked.

A lot of years ago I had a lodger, and he had some strange plants in
pots which he put amongst my (outside) tomatoes.

I had my suspicions, but he said he'd found them growing in his father's
garden and had potted some up before they got weeded, to see what they
were. Who was I to doubt him? (And did I care very much?)

And it came to pass that a uniformed policeman did appear at the bottom
of the garden, yea, even out of the wood did he emerge.

And the countenance of the lodger did drain of colour, yea, even unto
the colour of milk did it change.

I wandered down the garden as nonchalantly as I could, and the Dibble
explained that two little girls had gone missing, and there had been a
report of two girls answering their description near the Mormon temple
next-door but one. At the end of the temple grounds was a seven acre
wood, which he had just searched, (and got a little lost) and as the
wood was at the bottom of my garden too, he'd escaped that way.

It turned out that the girls had gone to a friend's house on the way
home and not bothered to tell anyone.

Funny thing, though, the funny plants sort-of vanished...

Old 26-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Lee Davison

Lol, Ive certainly brought back some memories havent I?

Whoever put it there obviously plans on looking after it, I didnt tell you
that there was a bottle of Windolene and Slug pellets nearby under some logs
so not to cloud your judgement. No idea what could have been in the
windolene bottle, some feed maybe?

Ive no real interest in acquiring the stuff, it can rest in peace as far as
im concerned. I am interested though if it will grow in our beautiful
British weather you never really hear about it growing wild here so I might
make a trip back one day purely for agricultural reasons.

And if you knew me you'd know im possibly the only person in the village who
could honestly say that!
Thanks for all your replies.
Lee

Old 27-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Brian Watson

I wouldn't like to swear that noone calls Cannabis sativa jute (nothing
shows up on a cursory googling) - the names jute and hemp, adjectivally
qualified, are applied to a fair variety of species exploited for fibre,
but jute usually applies to the genus Corchorus, and especially to the
species C. olitorius and C. capsularis.

Funny how male plant researchers have so much trouble locating examples of
C. olitorius?

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 28-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

her son, aged 15, a somewhat unruly boy much given to
nocturnal outings with ferrets.

Ah, a boy after my own heart! (When I was about that age I had a friend
who was the son of a Romany Queen, and he taught me many unruly things
to do, some of them including ferrets, but nearly all of them
detrimental to the well-being of game and rabbits...