Old 30-05-2005, 01:07 PM
WRabbit

Default Vegetable feeding

Experimenting with some patio veg this year, and planted the containers up
yesterday. Obviously water's going to be vital, but as they're in
containers I'll need to feed regularly too.

I've planted:
Trough 1 - chile and pepper
Trough 2 - aubergine and mohican aubergine
Trough 3 - courgettes
Pot 1 - Cape gooseberry
Pot 2 - Tomato

I've got Tomorite and Phostrogen in my shed but wandered what to feed what
and when. Naturally the tomato plant will get Tomorite - but would that be
ok for everything, or should I use phostrogen for the others. Also when
should I start feeding them?

First time ever growing veg so this should be interesting!

Old 30-05-2005, 01:29 PM
pammyT

WRabbit wrote:
Experimenting with some patio veg this year, and planted the
containers up yesterday. Obviously water's going to be vital, but as
they're in containers I'll need to feed regularly too.

I've planted:
Trough 1 - chile and pepper

wow must be a huge trough.Unless you mean chillis and not the country of
Chile ;0)

Trough 2 - aubergine and mohican aubergine
Trough 3 - courgettes
Pot 1 - Cape gooseberry
Pot 2 - Tomato

I've got Tomorite and Phostrogen in my shed but wandered what to feed
what and when. Naturally the tomato plant will get Tomorite - but
would that be ok for everything, or should I use phostrogen for the
others. Also when should I start feeding them?

First time ever growing veg so this should be interesting!

Have you got a copy of 'the vegetable expert' by Dr Hessayon? If not, I
think you should get it. It is a brilliant book and will give you all the
info you need and more. There are several on ebay at the moment for 99p.
http://tinyurl.com/a675s
note that none of them are mine. I never sell my gardening books, I pass
them on to my son.

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 30-05-2005, 02:28 PM
WRabbit

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message
WRabbit wrote:
Experimenting with some patio veg this year, and planted the
containers up yesterday. Obviously water's going to be vital, but as
they're in containers I'll need to feed regularly too.

I've planted:
Trough 1 - chile and pepper

wow must be a huge trough.Unless you mean chillis and not the country of
Chile ;0)

DUH! It's been a long weekend - teach me to post quickly at lunchtime
during work.

snip

Have you got a copy of 'the vegetable expert' by Dr Hessayon? If not, I
think you should get it. It is a brilliant book and will give you all the
info you need and more. There are several on ebay at the moment for 99p.
http://tinyurl.com/a675s
note that none of them are mine. I never sell my gardening books, I pass
them on to my son.

No I haven't. I'll wander over to eBay and have a look. Thanks for the tip.

wanders off mutter about planting South American countries

Old 30-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:07:00 +0100, "WRabbit"
wrote:

Experimenting with some patio veg this year, and planted the containers up
yesterday. Obviously water's going to be vital, but as they're in
containers I'll need to feed regularly too.

I've planted:
Trough 1 - chile and pepper
Trough 2 - aubergine and mohican aubergine
Trough 3 - courgettes
Pot 1 - Cape gooseberry
Pot 2 - Tomato

I've got Tomorite and Phostrogen in my shed but wandered what to feed what
and when. Naturally the tomato plant will get Tomorite - but would that be
ok for everything, or should I use phostrogen for the others. Also when
should I start feeding them?

First time ever growing veg so this should be interesting!

I generally start liquid feeds once the plants set fruit.
Can't say which feed would be best as I tend to use a general purpose
organic feed which seems to work plenty fine for me.

Hope you have much success with your first foray into veg growing -
and as regards the courgettes, pick them small ( about 6" max ) for
maximum flavour. You'll get the most out of them that way - and you
stand less chance of coming up against 'Oh no, not bloody courgettes
again' syndrome by the middle of the season!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 30-05-2005, 04:54 PM
pammyT

wrote:

[...]

Luckily I have ex townies next to me who don't grow anything in their 1/3
acre garden,and I can earn serious brownie points by passing over any
surplus veggies and culled, plucked and dressed free range cockerels :0)

Old 30-05-2005, 05:53 PM
datsy

First time ever growing veg so this should be interesting!

Snap! And also in containers on the patio - it was Monty Don's inspiration
on GW. So far I've got carrots (small round ones), baby turnips, beetroot,
spring onions - white and red, asparagus peas (anybody have any experience
with these taste-wise?) from seed and lots of different herbs in pots from
the garden centre. Hope to have dwarf French/runner beans, round baby
courgettes, baby squash.

Old 30-05-2005, 07:19 PM
datsy

Snap! And also in containers on the patio - it was Monty Don's inspiration
on GW. So far I've got carrots (small round ones), baby turnips, beetroot,
spring onions - white and red, asparagus peas (anybody have any experience
with these taste-wise?) from seed and lots of different herbs in pots from
the garden centre. Hope to have dwarf French/runner beans, round baby
courgettes, baby squash.

Oh, and I forgot the blueberry, red currant and rhubarb.

Old 30-05-2005, 08:41 PM
WRabbit

datsy wrote:
First time ever growing veg so this should be interesting!

Snap! And also in containers on the patio - it was Monty Don's
inspiration on GW. So far I've got carrots (small round ones), baby
turnips, beetroot, spring onions - white and red, asparagus peas
(anybody have any experience with these taste-wise?) from seed and
lots of different herbs in pots from the garden centre. Hope to have
dwarf French/runner beans, round baby courgettes, baby squash.

Crikey! You've gone for it wholesale. I'd already decided to try some veg
this year when GW stole the idea from me

Asparagus peas are lovely - my grandfather has grown them for a few years.
I hope you enjoy them.

I've gone for the more 'decorative' veg, working on the basis that if I
don't get anything edible at least they'll look pretty. We can compare
notes through the season. Depending on how things go this year I might be a
bit more ambitious next year.
--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

Old 30-05-2005, 09:49 PM
datsy

Crikey! You've gone for it wholesale. I'd already decided to try some
veg this year when GW stole the idea from me

I've gone for the more 'decorative' veg, working on the basis that if I
don't get anything edible at least they'll look pretty. We can compare
notes through the season. Depending on how things go this year I might be
a bit more ambitious next year.

I actually think you sound more ambitious than me - I'm not trying things
like aubergines, peppers and chillies in the Ayrshire countryside - not this
year anyway!

Old 30-05-2005, 11:18 PM
WRabbit

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "WRabbit"
contains these words:

Asparagus peas are lovely - my grandfather has grown them for a few
years. I hope you enjoy them.

I didn't; I found them a sparse crop and even the tiniest ones
stringy and coarse. AFAIR You''re the first poster here to give them a
favourable report. How does your grandfather cook them?

I'll check with him. I know they're served with lots of butter though. I
do know he's had very good crops of them in previous years.

Old 30-05-2005, 11:26 PM
WRabbit

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "datsy" contains these words:

I actually think you sound more ambitious than me - I'm not trying
things like aubergines, peppers and chillies in the Ayrshire
countryside -

Very sensible :-)

Janet (Arran)

I did say I was going for decoration rather than yield! Although I do hope
the courgettes and tomatoes do well.

Not far from you both in Cumbernauld, but our back garden is quite
sheltered, and if things look like they're struggling I've got a mini green
house I can slip things into. I don't have the see breezes, but I also
don't get the benefits of the gulf stream. Fond memories of a summer
holiday spent in Arran - I don't think I'll ever forget cycling from Lamlash
to Corrie (and back). How can a small island have such huge hills!

If it all goes horribly wrong it's a lesson learned. I do wish I'd planted
some mixed leaf though - when I think what I pay at the supermarket for the
bags of salad! Where's that seed catalogue...on second thoughts I feed the
slugs well enough as it is.

Old 30-05-2005, 11:35 PM
datsy

If it all goes horribly wrong it's a lesson learned. I do wish I'd
planted some mixed leaf though - when I think what I pay at the
supermarket for the bags of salad! Where's that seed catalogue...on
second thoughts I feed the slugs well enough as it is.

1. I thought you must be somewhere in the south of England with all that
veg!!
2. I haven't even started to grow the beans and squash and things - seeds
going in this week and over the next month, according to the seed packet.
3. I have started to grow to spinach and mesclun - another thing I forgot to
mention in my first post - with rocket, French salad, English salad and
others to come, again all going in at 2 - 3 week intervals from now until
August - according to the seed packet.
4. I've got copper tape round all the pots - so far absolutely no slug
damage. You can really see the difference between the herbs that are still
in their plastic garden centre pots and the ones I've already potted up.

Old 30-05-2005, 11:53 PM
WRabbit

datsy wrote:
4. I've got copper tape round all the pots - so far absolutely no slug
damage. You can really see the difference between the herbs that are
still in their plastic garden centre pots and the ones I've already
potted up.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get it? I've had a look at it a
couple of places but it would have worked out horribly expensive at the
prices they were asking.

Old 31-05-2005, 12:06 AM
datsy

If you don't mind me asking where did you get it? I've had a look at it a
couple of places but it would have worked out horribly expensive at the
prices they were asking.

The cheapest I've found is B&Q where it's £4.99 for 4 m, I think - this does
quite a long way. Rouken Glen garden centre had it for £1 more. But then I
reckoned it was worth it to protect all the pots.

Old 31-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "WRabbit" contains
these words:

Asparagus peas are lovely - my grandfather has grown them for a few years.
I hope you enjoy them.

I didn't; I found them a sparse crop and even the tiniest ones
stringy and coarse. AFAIR You''re the first poster here to give them a
favourable report. How does your grandfather cook them?

I like the taste. Just found them immensely fiddly, picking enough 1
inch pods to get anything like a serving.

Pretty flowers, though.

--
Kay

Vegetable Garden Programs for Participating Vegetable Growers Shai Lawns 0 11-08-2010 09:51 AM
Fruit & Vegetable Rinse washes fruit & vegetable thoroughly to prevent Isaac Kwong sci.agriculture 0 02-06-2003 06:44 PM
When to start feeding? Bob Ponds 18 18-03-2003 05:20 PM
staghorn ferns, feeding? mcameron, bill Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:15 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM