Old 02-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Default Fertilizing Bonsai (Chinese Elm)

I am confused as to when to add fertilizer to my Bonsai compost.

I am about to repot the tree in the garden for the summer and do not know when to fertilize it.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:13:27 +0000, lunarstablos
wrote:

I am confused as to when to add fertilizer to my Bonsai compost.

I am about to repot the tree in the garden for the summer and do not
know when to fertilize it.

Do you mean you are going to put it in the garden soil for the summer
to grow it on, or put it in a bigger pot?

This is not the time for repotting bonsai if the repotting includes
root pruning. That should be done in Feb before growth starts.
Look in your library or bookshop for a good book on bonsai which gives
details of what soil to use for what types of tree.

Generally I would add a little bonemeal to the compost, buy special
bonsai feed or water with tomato fertiliser during summer. Don't give
it too much nitrogen.
My Zelkova is hardy and stays out all the year but is yours one of the
ones sold as indoor bonsai?

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:29:23 +0000, lunarstablos
wrote:

It's a yellow label tree, which means it can be either but prefers
winter indoors. I only bought it two weeks ago and was going to put it
in a larger pot on the patio for the summer. Is this a bad time then,
should I keep it indoors till next year?

I've not experienced yellow labels so cannot comment there.
You certainly could put it in a bigger pot in the garden if you don't
disturb the roots, and don't keep it in full sun to start with.
If you put it in a much bigger pot it will not be a bonsai, unless you
prune the roots in early spring, and put it back in a smaller pot.
All this is relative as you don't say the size of pot it is in, or
that you are proposing moving it to.
Again, a book will give you much more advice than you will get here.
Bonsai is a complex art. If you are really keen, find a local club, go
to a bonsai nursery. There is ( well was!) a permanent display at
Birmingham Botanic Gardens. It depends where you live.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from lunarstablos contains
these words:

--
lunarstablos

Feed it a very weakened all purpose fertiliser and by weakened I mean
weakened!!!! The buildup of salts in the soil will harm the tree no end.

Keep it outdoors, no need to pot it on as long as you can water plenty.
If your worried then certainly put it in a bigger pot but no root
cutting.

Bonsai means plant in a tray as a literal translation and I have a
couple of pretty big specimens that most people would not equate to
being Bonsai.

Chris (Bonsai beginner of 10 years)

Old 08-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Chris (Bonsai beginner of 10 years)

I *WILL* get round to sending you all those seeds - remind me if you
haven't got them in a week.

I've got some nice little cotoneasters (horizontalis, and a larger
upright variety) in small pots (lids), a couple of Turkey oaks, some of
I know not what variety, with leaves halfway between clematis and ash
(not a native tree, I collected the seeds in Norwich. Parent *VERY*
tall.) and some Japanese quince.

The elder I mentioned last year is doing well - while not exactly
traditional - it is in a proper tray, but the soil is humped, and the
roots cascade round a stone in the middle. The non-traditional bit is
that the soil is covered in moss and lichen.

The advantage is that you can have a pretty fair-looking bonsai tree in
two years, while your more usual varieties are lagging well behind.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

I *WILL* get round to sending you all those seeds - remind me if you
haven't got them in a week.

No problem, whenever you like.

I've got some nice little cotoneasters (horizontalis, and a larger
upright variety) in small pots (lids), a couple of Turkey oaks, some of
I know not what variety, with leaves halfway between clematis and ash
(not a native tree, I collected the seeds in Norwich. Parent *VERY*
tall.) and some Japanese quince.

I know poor old Norwich gets a bad call but calling it not native is
being a little unfair. G
Coteneasters make very interesting subjects if you can balance their
normal growth trait. Turkey Oaks sound another interesting one, albeit
going to be into my retirement before they get really good (why do oaks
grow so slowly?). I have our native oak and it does`nt look any bigger
now than it did 5 years ago!!!

The elder I mentioned last year is doing well - while not exactly
traditional - it is in a proper tray, but the soil is humped, and the
roots cascade round a stone in the middle. The non-traditional bit is
that the soil is covered in moss and lichen.

And why would you call it non-traditional? The essence of Bonsai is to
make it look like a tree in nature but in miniture. Do NOT get caught up
in getting rid of the lichen and moss. Imagine it is a solitary tree at
the top of a field with a gently undulating rise to it and surrounded by
a grass carpet. If you can see
the tree in your minds eye like this your on your way to the reality of
Bonsai.
I like the sound of the cascadeing roots.

The advantage is that you can have a pretty fair-looking bonsai tree in
two years, while your more usual varieties are lagging well behind.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Get that little electric box of tricks up and running and let us see the
elder. I`m full of curiosity.

Chris
Old 08-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:41:17 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

I have our native oak and it does`nt look any bigger
now than it did 5 years ago!!!

The trick is to plant them in a big shallow tray or box, or in open
ground and let them grow on and put on some girth for a few years. If
you keep them confined from the start they will develop frustratingly
slowly. I learned the lesson too late.
If you plant them in open ground, put a flat stone a few inches down,
so a deep tap root doesn't develop.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

The elder I mentioned last year is doing well - while not exactly
traditional - it is in a proper tray, but the soil is humped, and the
roots cascade round a stone in the middle. The non-traditional bit is
that the soil is covered in moss and lichen.

And why would you call it non-traditional? The essence of Bonsai is to
make it look like a tree in nature but in miniture. Do NOT get caught up
in getting rid of the lichen and moss.

Don't worry - I started it there deliberately, with a very small species
of bitter cress and some pearlwort which crept in unbidden.

Imagine it is a solitary tree at
the top of a field with a gently undulating rise to it and surrounded by
a grass carpet. If you can see
the tree in your minds eye like this your on your way to the reality of
Bonsai.
I like the sound of the cascadeing roots.

It's a standard bonsai ploy (which I'm sure you know) - when the tree is
dormant, wash off the soil, snip a tap-root, if present, or divert it,
prune the roots if necessary, then arrange the tree roots over a
projecting stone, so that only the ends of the roots are in the soil.

I've put a pic borrowed from a book up at
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/bonsai.jpg

Also from the book, the instructions for perpetrating the deed:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/roots.jpg

The advantage is that you can have a pretty fair-looking bonsai tree in
two years, while your more usual varieties are lagging well behind.

A rather poor pic of it last year (taken with a *VERY* cheapo digital
camera) can be seen at:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/nursery.jpg - but the roots
appear much thicker than really they are.

Get that little electric box of tricks up and running and let us see the
elder. I`m full of curiosity.

I've got to get Win 2000 up and running on the other box - there's not
room on this one for the (better) camera software - indeed, there isn't
enough left for the ZIMACS database to pack...

....and I've got three drives in this box. (Loads in the other - the Zip
is K:\ - but C:\ is interchangeable. I've a Win 98, Win 98SE, Win 2000
Pro and Debian Linux, all separate HDDs in trays.)

Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

I like the sound of the cascadeing roots.

It's a standard bonsai ploy (which I'm sure you know) - when the tree is
dormant, wash off the soil, snip a tap-root, if present, or divert it,
prune the roots if necessary, then arrange the tree roots over a
projecting stone, so that only the ends of the roots are in the soil.

I've got the same effect by each year putting another inch of soil in
the bottom of the pot and gradually removing the soil at the top until I
can slip in a stone. Same thing, really - I'm just making sure there's
long enough 'ends' in the soil in advance. Dunno if it's an approved
method, but it works.

I've also got a berberis which isn't particularly pleasing in shape but
makes up for it with flowers, berries and leaf colour.

This year I've grown a pomegranate from seed - I've seen a bonsai'd one
complete with tiny fruit, so that is something to look forward to.
--
Kay

Old 09-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Kay contains these words:

[...]

Harry Tomlinsons book perhaps for the pomegranate?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

wrote:

I have our native oak and it does`nt look any bigger
now than it did 5 years ago!!!

The trick is to plant them in a big shallow tray or box, or in open
ground and let them grow on and put on some girth for a few years. If
you keep them confined from the start they will develop frustratingly
slowly. I learned the lesson too late.
If you plant them in open ground, put a flat stone a few inches down,
so a deep tap root doesn't develop.

Pam in Bristol

Having started with a cutting and cuttings dont produce tap roots..........

I have plenty of other trees to play with rather than sit around waiting
for one tree.
Now how about trying to persuade a half inch diameter branch on a
Japanese Maple to grow straight where I want it to. Out with the bending
jacks methinks.

Chris (off to make fertiliser cakes)
Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

I've also got a berberis which isn't particularly pleasing in shape but
makes up for it with flowers, berries and leaf colour.

Did you grow it from seed? Berberis is notoriously difficult to strike
from a cutting, and I've had a layer pegged down for a year and it
hasn't made any root...

This year I've grown a pomegranate from seed - I've seen a bonsai'd one
complete with tiny fruit, so that is something to look forward to.

I'm starting some pomegranates (I hope) and I intend having one in a
sort-of lash-up conservatory, but I had considered the bonsai
possibilities.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Harry Tomlinsons book perhaps for the pomegranate?

I have one (courtesy of a charity shop) by H.J.Larkin

Old 09-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Chris (off to make fertiliser cakes)

Mmmmmm! Fertiliser cakes!