Old 03-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Broadback

Default Waste water for the garden

Summer is almost on us (though it looks as though a frost is possible on
Monday) and if the forecasters are correct then it will be long and hot.
So what waste water is or is not acceptable to the garden? Will
soap, detergent, washing powder biological/non-biological, bath and
shower products render it useless? Any advice welcomed, by me and
perhaps many others.
TIA
Old 03-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Summer is almost on us (though it looks as though a frost is possible on
Monday) and if the forecasters are correct then it will be long and hot.
So what waste water is or is not acceptable to the garden? Will
soap, detergent, washing powder biological/non-biological, bath and
shower products render it useless? Any advice welcomed, by me and
perhaps many others.

Someone hasn't been paying attention at the back, innit.

Water from most things is acceptable, but don't use water that has had
clothes-washing detergent in it (often contains borax), and I'd avoid
dishwasher elephant.

I use washing-up water on the rhubarb and bathwater on the grape vine.
Oh, and rainwater on my peat-bog-in-a-planter, mainly for the benefit of
the bog myrtle.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 03-06-2005, 10:47 AM
bigboard

Broadback wrote:

Summer is almost on us (though it looks as though a frost is possible on
Monday) and if the forecasters are correct then it will be long and hot.
So what waste water is or is not acceptable to the garden? Will
soap, detergent, washing powder biological/non-biological, bath and
shower products render it useless? Any advice welcomed, by me and
perhaps many others.
TIA

I have a diverter on my downpipe that sends all the rain water from the roof
and waste water from the bathroom to my water butt. I've never had any
problems using this to water the garden, and despite rumours, I use soap
regularly!

--
The scum also rises.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
bigboard writes:

| I have a diverter on my downpipe that sends all the rain water from the roof
| and waste water from the bathroom to my water butt. I've never had any
| problems using this to water the garden, and despite rumours, I use soap
| regularly!

Soap biodegrades easily, and household detergent isn't much worse.
But you can cause trouble by watering with nothing but soapy
water in dry weather, as the water may evaporate or be used faster
than the bacteria can break down the soap.

As with using alkaline water, a good rule is to flood the area
infrequently. DON'T water little and often with unclean water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
bigboard

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
bigboard writes:

| I have a diverter on my downpipe that sends all the rain water from the
| roof and waste water from the bathroom to my water butt. I've never had
| any problems using this to water the garden, and despite rumours, I use
| soap regularly!

Soap biodegrades easily, and household detergent isn't much worse.
But you can cause trouble by watering with nothing but soapy
water in dry weather, as the water may evaporate or be used faster
than the bacteria can break down the soap.

The soap does seem to break down to a certain extent in the water butt, but
I have wondered how long it takes. As you say, in long dry spells, the
soapy water won't be diluted by rainwater, but as I only tend to water when
first planting out, this hasn't been a problem for me. I prefer to
encourage deep rooting and getting as much compost in the soil as possible.
All good practice that I'm sure you're well aware of anyway!

As with using alkaline water, a good rule is to flood the area
infrequently. DON'T water little and often with unclean water.

I'm a flood irrigator when I do it at all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a bit
longer."

Old 03-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Stan The Man

As those with a septic tank will know, "biological" detergents are a
no-no because the enzymes prevent the proper breakdown of solids. I
would avoid them everywhere in the garden.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:19 PM
bigboard

Stan The Man wrote:

As those with a septic tank will know, "biological" detergents are a
no-no because the enzymes prevent the proper breakdown of solids. I
would avoid them everywhere in the garden.

So would I, but as I don't wash with them in the bath, it hasn't been a
problem!

--
Linus: I guess it's wrong always to be worrying about tomorrow.
Maybe we should think only about today.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:27:03 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Summer is almost on us (though it looks as though a frost is possible on
Monday) and if the forecasters are correct then it will be long and hot.
So what waste water is or is not acceptable to the garden? Will
soap, detergent, washing powder biological/non-biological, bath and
shower products render it useless? Any advice welcomed, by me and
perhaps many others.

I have a water meter.
I keep a bucket in the kitchen and pour in washing-up water, for use
on the garden,
I have a long pipe with a syphon and drain off my bath water in hot
weather.

Going off on a tangent, but on the same theme, I have a reduction on
my sewage bill because I told the water board that in summer a lot of
my waste water goes on the garden.
I learned about this years ago in some magazine article by Peter
Seabrook. He stated that he has 2 water meters, one for house and one
for garden, and paid no sewage rates on the garden water.
I contacted my suppliers (Bristol Water and Wessex) and was sent a
form to fill in about my water use. They then gave me about 20%
reduction on sewage.
Worth a try!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Broadback

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for all the answers, I have a septic tank so have no sewage
rates and do not use biological powders or bleach. As I live in a
bungalow it will be a difficult job to save the bathwater, though my
father used to bucket it out, I'm not that keen! However if things get
tight this summer I may well do that, or buy a pump and pump it out.
Though as the shower is used far more than the bath even that may not be
worthwhile.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:30 PM
nambucca

"Broadback" wrote in message
Summer is almost on us (though it looks as though a frost is possible on
Monday) and if the forecasters are correct then it will be long and hot.
So what waste water is or is not acceptable to the garden? Will
soap, detergent, washing powder biological/non-biological, bath and
shower products render it useless? Any advice welcomed, by me and
perhaps many others.
TIA

I have several water butts attached to every downpipe ( actually standard
dustbins from Wickes are the best quality and cheapest storage with tight
lids )

I use the washing up water from the kitchen etc but not the from the washing
machine as the soap powder chemicals could damage plants

Bath water should be fine

Night water is wonderful for activating compost heaps
and the more compost you pile on your soil the less garden watering thats
needed in dry conditions

Old 04-06-2005, 04:47 PM
pammyT

"nambucca" wrote in message
snipped
I use the washing up water from the kitchen etc but not the from the

washing
machine as the soap powder chemicals could damage plants

My washing machine drains right out onto my garden . I use biological
powder. Everything which gets the washing machine water seems to be
thriving.
The water from the shower also has a pipe to take the water to the base of
my clematis montana (bathroom is downstairs)
wtaer from scullery sink,which has no mains drainage is caught in a bucket
and emptied on the front garden.I use bleach occasionally to soak the
dishcloths and sponges and the water from the dishwasher in the scullery
discharges directly onto the from garden herb patch and the mint, fennel
ladies mantle etc are thriving. HTH

Old 05-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

My washing machine drains right out onto my garden . I use biological
powder. Everything which gets the washing machine water seems to be
thriving.

I'm glad you said 'seems to be'.

Borax will build up in the soil and kill a lot of things. The Old Man
did for a peach tree by siting the outlet too near it: it took a few
years, but succeeded in killing it completely in the end.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Neil Tonks

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

My washing machine drains right out onto my garden . I use biological
powder. Everything which gets the washing machine water seems to be
thriving.

I'm glad you said 'seems to be'.

Borax will build up in the soil and kill a lot of things. The Old Man
did for a peach tree by siting the outlet too near it: it took a few
years, but succeeded in killing it completely in the end.

Indeed, the chemicals in the washing water can harm plants. There's another
problem, too - if these materials get into watercourses they can play havoc
with the water ecology. Even if no direct poisoning takes place, the
chemical balance of the water will be altered, particularly by phosphates
which encourage the growth of algae and aquatic plants.

Neil.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Thank you for all the answers, I have a septic tank so have no sewage
rates and do not use biological powders or bleach. As I live in a
bungalow it will be a difficult job to save the bathwater, though my
father used to bucket it out, I'm not that keen! However if things get
tight this summer I may well do that, or buy a pump and pump it out.
Though as the shower is used far more than the bath even that may not be
worthwhile.

Northern tool company do a drill powered water pump for 7 quid which
will do the job of pumping no problem. Thinking of getting one for the
lottie.