Old 09-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Harold Walker

Default Curious Again

Is the pit style greenhouse in use in England?.........H

Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:41:55 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

Is the pit style greenhouse in use in England?.........H

Do you mean that you dig a pit, plant in the bottom, then cover the
top with polythene?
I did that one year on my allotment, ages ago, haviing read it in a
book. It can't have been very successful, as I didn't do it again.
Trouble is, digging a pit on my allotment is difficult as there are
great slabs of limestone as little as a foot down in some places.
'twould depend on the water table too!

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Harold Walker

wrote:

Is the pit style greenhouse in use in England?.........H

Do you mean that you dig a pit, plant in the bottom, then cover the
top with polythene?
I did that one year on my allotment, ages ago, haviing read it in a
book. It can't have been very successful, as I didn't do it again.
Trouble is, digging a pit on my allotment is difficult as there are
great slabs of limestone as little as a foot down in some places.
'twould depend on the water table too!

Pam in Bristol

If you have the patience to read I will give a fairly brief description of
the total "system".. a pit 8 feet X 12 feet and five feet deep.....at each
corner stacked up concrete blocks and filled with concrete...these were to
hold 2inch x 8inch pressure treated timber for the base of the
greenhouse....the blocks were connected with 2 x 6 wall plates and the
greenhouse built on top of that....the north wall was built out of 2 x 4's
and boarded in solid with insulation between the 2 x 4's(16 inch on
centre).the north wall was 4 feet above ground.......the northerly roof
section was about 4 feet with double glazed 8mm poly material(2x4's 16 inch
on centre)....from the peak the front of the greenhouse dropped down at an
angle favorable to the winter sun for maxim heat.....again the glazing was
double 8mm polycarbon....both ends constructed with same
mateerials....window openers on the north roof and at both ends were auto
operated....total height of the greenhouse from max height to floor was 9
feet.....at the rear side and inside the greenhouse made a 300 gallon tank
(not a waste of space as I grew potted seedlings there)..the 300 gallon tank
was my heat sink....at the top of the greenhouse was a four inch plastic
pipe with holes in it...one end of the pipe was lead into the water tank
which was then connected to a copper pipe in the tank...at the output end
was a fan....the fan pulled the upper air in the greenhouse down thru the
tank to warm up the water and from there back into the greenhouse.....at
night time the warmish air from the tank gave me a frost free greenhouse
even in the dead of winter....even when the outside temperature dropped down
to minus 17 degree C the greenhouse remained frost free.....the tank gained
its heat not only from the upper air but also from the earth as at a depth
of 5 feet the soil remains at a fairly constant temperature well above the
freeze level....in my particular case the water table was of no problem...at
the wettest of times it was about 15 feet below the surface level...when I
had a well drilled to cut down on the water bill they had to do down 20 feet
for a good supply.....hope this is understandable..........if I was to do
another one I would locate the water tank right down the middle of the
greenhouse with a board on top to walk on.......H

Old 09-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Is the pit style greenhouse in use in England?.........H

Mine was - GRP sections, bottom flaps buried, three beds separated by
two boarded trenches as walkways.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:29:37 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

If you have the patience to read I will give a fairly brief description

You never do things by halves, do you Harry!
That's a bit beyond me. 5 feet deep? I'd have a pond!

Pam in Bristol

Old 09-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Bob Hobden

"Harold Walker" wrote ...
Is the pit style greenhouse in use in England?.........H

If I remember correctly in the greenhouses at West Dean Gardens, West Sussex
you walk down steps as you enter them as you did in the stove house at Wyld
Court Orchids, Nr. Newbury. (many years ago, sadly it's no longer there)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Harold Walker

wrote:

If you have the patience to read I will give a fairly brief description

You never do things by halves, do you Harry!
That's a bit beyond me. 5 feet deep? I'd have a pond!

Pam in Bristol

Usually do my best...if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well...that
is what poppa taught me many years ago...the greenhouse is still in
operating condition but with new "personel"....no longer has the 300 gallon
water tank but still uses the overhead pipe with holes in it to circulate
the hot air down below....... H

Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
wrote:

If you have the patience to read I will give a fairly brief description

You never do things by halves, do you Harry!
That's a bit beyond me. 5 feet deep? I'd have a pond!

When it rains here, I'd have a pond if it were five inches deep.

On the smallholding, where the greenhouse was, I only had to wear
wellies if it had been raining for a long time.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Is the pit style greenhouse in use in England?.........H

Not any more, but there are some historic examples which have been
restored to full working order. Two I know of are at Heligan in
Cornwall (a pineapple house iirc) and Ascog Fernery, on the isle of Bute
in Scotland, which is, er, a fernery :-) Both are well worth a visit if
you get chance.

You've forgotten the Eden Project...

Old 10-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Harold Walker

k...
wrote:

If you have the patience to read I will give a fairly brief description

You never do things by halves, do you Harry!
That's a bit beyond me. 5 feet deep? I'd have a pond!

When it rains here, I'd have a pond if it were five inches deep.

On the smallholding, where the greenhouse was, I only had to wear
wellies if it had been raining for a long time.

--
Rusty

And on my little old plot it can rain for days and days on end and not even
a puddle would be seen so I could go down at least 15 feet for a real deep
one....would get tired of walking up and down the steps tho.....h

Old 10-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

When it rains here, I'd have a pond if it were five inches deep.

On the smallholding, where the greenhouse was, I only had to wear
wellies if it had been raining for a long time.

And on my little old plot it can rain for days and days on end and not even
a puddle would be seen so I could go down at least 15 feet for a real deep
one....would get tired of walking up and down the steps tho.....h

Fit a lift - or do I mean elevator?

Old 10-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

When it rains here, I'd have a pond if it were five inches deep.

On the smallholding, where the greenhouse was, I only had to wear
wellies if it had been raining for a long time.

And on my little old plot it can rain for days and days on end and not
even
a puddle would be seen so I could go down at least 15 feet for a real
deep
one....would get tired of walking up and down the steps tho.....h

Fit a lift - or do I mean elevator?.or perhaps an escalator 'old boy'

Just Curious Iris Cohen Plant Science 12 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
nice post, but curious Bob A Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
nice post, but curious Bob A Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 13-03-2003 03:20 PM
Just curious, for now Ted Byers Orchids 4 15-02-2003 10:27 PM