Old 07-07-2005, 12:53 PM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I've just received a 'letter' from a local-ish solar panel/system
installer, pointing out how it will save on CO=B2 emissions.

snork!

My fear about the present "carbon capture" idea of liquifying
COsub2/sub is that as well as locking up carbon we will be locking
up oxygen. We don't want to be doing without Oxygen, tha knows.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Some 'old' houses used to be, e.g. some rural councils installed underground
rainwater cisterns beneath council houses in the 1930s. These became defunct
when the houses were modernised after the second world war. Some private
rural houses were self sufficient in water, too, e.g. I know one which until
the mid 1970s used to have a well to provide drinking water to the kitchen,
and a large tank in the roof space, filled by pumping water up from the
nearby river, providing water for all non-drinking purposes.

My grandparents house had a well of drinking water in a space between
it and the house next door, served by a shared handpump. They didn't
have a flush lav so otherwise only needed washing water. For that we
used roof rainwater which collected in a huge galvanised tank outside
the kitchen. In summer the top few inches of water was always full of
wrigglers but they didn't get down to tap level very much :-).

Our neighbour at our last place had a similar roof-fed rain tank
which was his sole source of drinking water until the late 80's. He
didn't have a flush lav either, and just didn't do laundry. He had never
had a bath or shower in his life until he left that house.

When he moved unwillingly to civilisation, I inherited his big tank
and connected it up to the shed roof, giving us another hundred gallons
of standby-water. We also had a plastic 50 gallon butt of roofwater at
the back door. When our private water supply failed, we could usually
quickly draw off a last 10 gallons of proper drinking water into a
plastic barrel before the system ran dry. For everything else we used
rainwater, and if the tanks ran out there was a handy river across the
road.

Janet.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , jane
writes
Vale of Pednor by any chance?

I've heard terrible things about how that's going to be ruined soon...

jane

A lovely area near us, due to be developed by, I believe, Howarth homes
but (keeping this on Gardening) what can you do with homeowners that say
"I'm not opposed to development here - it is inevitable as the gardens
are too long and the land is being wasted,"
gardens are too long? Good grief................ that's like being too
thin or too rich
a complete anachronism...................

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , jane
writes
Vale of Pednor by any chance?

I've heard terrible things about how that's going to be ruined soon...

jane

A lovely area near us, due to be developed by, I believe, Howarth homes
but (keeping this on Gardening) what can you do with homeowners that
say
"I'm not opposed to development here - it is inevitable as the gardens
are too long and the land is being wasted,"
gardens are too long? Good grief................ that's like being too
thin or too rich
a complete anachronism...................

Janet

I would say that about half of the houses in our nearest village now
have a new bungalow at the bottom of the garden. The cottages were built
with a garden large enough to let the working man grow his own food.
Supermarkets are easier and building plots more lucrative :-(
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

A lovely area near us, due to be developed by, I believe, Howarth homes
but (keeping this on Gardening) what can you do with homeowners that say
"I'm not opposed to development here - it is inevitable as the gardens
are too long and the land is being wasted,"
gardens are too long? Good grief................ that's like being too
thin or too rich
a complete anachronism...................

A what? Could you mean a complete lack of gardening pruners?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

A lovely area near us, due to be developed by, I believe, Howarth homes
but (keeping this on Gardening) what can you do with homeowners that say
"I'm not opposed to development here - it is inevitable as the gardens
are too long and the land is being wasted,"
gardens are too long? Good grief................ that's like being too
thin or too rich
a complete anachronism...................

A what? Could you mean a complete lack of gardening pruners?

Oh drat, a senior moment there I'm afraid
I meant oxymoron of course. Blast, blast, put it down to the sun

Janet