Old 07-07-2005, 10:22 PM
pammyT

Default I have found a use for bindweed :-)

At last, after fighting a losing battle with the stuff. I have found a use
for it. My new rescued tortoise considers it a delicacy. It is his favourite
grub next to dandelion and sow thistle. He pulls great swathes of it down
and chomps away with gusto all day long. Marvellous job. I am considering
hiring him out to keen gardeners at a reasonable cost and anticipate huge
demand.
Get your names down on the list now to avoid disappointment ;-)

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 PM
shazzbat

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message
At last, after fighting a losing battle with the stuff. I have found a use
for it. My new rescued tortoise considers it a delicacy. It is his

favourite
grub next to dandelion and sow thistle. He pulls great swathes of it down
and chomps away with gusto all day long. Marvellous job. I am considering
hiring him out to keen gardeners at a reasonable cost and anticipate huge
demand.
Get your names down on the list now to avoid disappointment ;-)

--

Great. Now can you train him to eat ground elder?

Steve

Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 PM
pammyT

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message
At last, after fighting a losing battle with the stuff. I have found a

use
for it. My new rescued tortoise considers it a delicacy. It is his

favourite
grub next to dandelion and sow thistle. He pulls great swathes of it

down
and chomps away with gusto all day long. Marvellous job. I am

considering
hiring him out to keen gardeners at a reasonable cost and anticipate

huge
demand.
Get your names down on the list now to avoid disappointment ;-)

--

Great. Now can you train him to eat ground elder?

Steve

Eat it yourself :0) It was brought over by the Romans as a food source.
When in Brittanicus, do as the Romans do .

Old 08-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:
"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

At last, after fighting a losing battle with the stuff. I have found a use
for it. My new rescued tortoise considers it a delicacy. It is his

favourite
grub next to dandelion and sow thistle. He pulls great swathes of it down
and chomps away with gusto all day long. Marvellous job. I am considering
hiring him out to keen gardeners at a reasonable cost and anticipate huge
demand.
Get your names down on the list now to avoid disappointment ;-)

Great. Now can you train him to eat ground elder?

Why? It makes a good green vegetable - try it sometime. The young leaves
are best, and before it has flowered. Later, cut the lot down and pick
the fresh growth.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Draven

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message
At last, after fighting a losing battle with the stuff. I have found a use
for it. My new rescued tortoise considers it a delicacy. It is his
favourite
grub next to dandelion and sow thistle. He pulls great swathes of it down
and chomps away with gusto all day long. Marvellous job. I am considering
hiring him out to keen gardeners at a reasonable cost and anticipate huge
demand.
Get your names down on the list now to avoid disappointment ;-)

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

They love the flowers too.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Paul D.Smith

Umm. Isn't Morning Glory related to bindweed? Morning Glory seeds have
some "interesting" properties so is there any chance your tortoise is
getting high on the bindweed?

Pity my garden's fairly large. The rate it grows, the bindweed would have
flowered before tortoise reached it ;-).

Paul DS.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Paul D.Smith wrote:
Umm. Isn't Morning Glory related to bindweed? Morning Glory seeds have
some "interesting" properties so is there any chance your tortoise is
getting high on the bindweed?

I think that you will find that is a story comparable to the one that
says that banana skins are hallucinogenic.

Pity my garden's fairly large. The rate it grows, the bindweed would have
flowered before tortoise reached it ;-).

Get a bigger and faster tortoise?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Paul D.Smith wrote:
Umm. Isn't Morning Glory related to bindweed? Morning Glory seeds
have some "interesting" properties so is there any chance your
tortoise is getting high on the bindweed?

I think that you will find that is a story comparable to the one that
says that banana skins are hallucinogenic.

Pity my garden's fairly large. The rate it grows, the bindweed
would have flowered before tortoise reached it ;-).

Get a bigger and faster tortoise?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Idea...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Old 08-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" writes:

| Pity my garden's fairly large. The rate it grows, the bindweed
| would have flowered before tortoise reached it ;-).
|
| Get a bigger and faster tortoise?
|
| Idea...
|
| http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Precisely. One could also then persuade the government to subsidise
the project as a new approach to sustainable transport - after all,
they don't seem to have any ideas that are even as plausible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Jill Tardivel

shazzbat wrote:
"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

At last, after fighting a losing battle with the stuff. I have found a use
for it. My new rescued tortoise considers it a delicacy. It is his

favourite

grub next to dandelion and sow thistle. He pulls great swathes of it down
and chomps away with gusto all day long. Marvellous job. I am considering
hiring him out to keen gardeners at a reasonable cost and anticipate huge
demand.
Get your names down on the list now to avoid disappointment ;-)

--

Great. Now can you train him to eat ground elder?

Steve

Guinea pigs do that ...

Old 08-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Steve Harris

In article , fenlandfowl
@talktalk.net (pammyT) wrote:

My new rescued tortoise considers it a delicacy.

When I was a kid, we had a tortoise that was very partial to buttercup
flowers

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 08-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Draven

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul D.Smith wrote:
Umm. Isn't Morning Glory related to bindweed? Morning Glory seeds have
some "interesting" properties so is there any chance your tortoise is
getting high on the bindweed?

I think that you will find that is a story comparable to the one that
says that banana skins are hallucinogenic.

Pity my garden's fairly large. The rate it grows, the bindweed would have
flowered before tortoise reached it ;-).

Get a bigger and faster tortoise?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The bigger they are the slower they get. IME.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" writes:

| Pity my garden's fairly large. The rate it grows, the bindweed
| would have flowered before tortoise reached it ;-).
|
| Get a bigger and faster tortoise?
|
| Idea...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Precisely. One could also then persuade the government to subsidise
the project as a new approach to sustainable transport - after all,
they don't seem to have any ideas that are even as plausible.

Got to be military before you have much chance of that.

See http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/halbritter/

--
Rusty
Old 08-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Draven" contains these words:

Get a bigger and faster tortoise?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The bigger they are the slower they get. IME.

Nonsense! See the URL I just posted...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Bindweed problem Ellen Connell United Kingdom 14 06-08-2003 10:12 AM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM