Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Draven wrote:

Get a bigger and faster tortoise?

The bigger they are the slower they get. IME.

Be more imaginative. Get a Galapagos one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

There's a bit more - to go straight to the pics in question,

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...britter/28.jpg
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...britter/29.jpg

Thanks. Being on dial-up, I was disinclined to search the site,
useful as it looks. Those pictures are more like it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

There's a bit more - to go straight to the pics in question,

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...britter/28.jpg
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...britter/29.jpg

Thanks. Being on dial-up, I was disinclined to search the site,
useful as it looks. Those pictures are more like it.

I put them up on dial-up...

When I did that the main difference was that I included the cover and
just the two pics, linked. I'm going to put the whole book up, but for
copyright reasons I won't be linking it from my main page.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:39:08 +0100, pammyT thought a bit, then had this to
say:

Eat it yourself :0) It was brought over by the Romans as a food source.
When in Brittanicus, do as the Romans do .

We have lots of bindweed and didn't know it could be eaten by human beings.
How is it eaten - raw or cooked ?

AFAIK bindweed is poisonous to folk.

We were discussing ground elder.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 09-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Aries wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:15:47 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades thought a bit, then
had this to say:

AFAIK bindweed is poisonous to folk.

We were discussing ground elder.

Thank goodness I asked then - phew! Thank you.

Some forms of Ipomoea are eaten in the Far East, and they are fairly
closely related. I suspect that bindweed would only give you mild
indigestion. The families to watch out for are the Solanaceae and
the Fabaceae/Leguminosae/Papilonaceae - the potato and pea families.
A good 50% of them are deadly, despite the fact that a huge number
of food plants belong to them.

Search for previous threads on black nightshade (Solanum nigrum) to
get seriously confused between what is a food plant and what is a
poisonous weed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Aries contains these words:
On 9 Jul 2005 14:08:16 GMT, Nick Maclaren thought a bit, then had this to
say:

Search for previous threads on black nightshade (Solanum nigrum) to
get seriously confused between what is a food plant and what is a
poisonous weed.

I will, thanks

Black nightshade fanciers should be aware that even well-boiled bottled
berries ferment and blow the bottles' lids unless a fair amount od sugar
is added. I now add some tartaric acid too.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Aries wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:15:47 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades thought a bit, then
had this to say:

AFAIK bindweed is poisonous to folk.

We were discussing ground elder.

Thank goodness I asked then - phew! Thank you.

Some forms of Ipomoea are eaten in the Far East, and they are fairly
closely related. I suspect that bindweed would only give you mild
indigestion. The families to watch out for are the Solanaceae and
the Fabaceae/Leguminosae/Papilonaceae - the potato and pea families.
A good 50% of them are deadly, despite the fact that a huge number
of food plants belong to them.

Also Apiaceae/Umbelliferae?

Old 09-07-2005, 07:02 PM
pammyT

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Draven wrote:

Get a bigger and faster tortoise?

The bigger they are the slower they get. IME.

Be more imaginative. Get a Galapagos one.

ITYM Galloping

Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Some forms of Ipomoea are eaten in the Far East, and they are fairly
closely related. I suspect that bindweed would only give you mild
indigestion. The families to watch out for are the Solanaceae and
the Fabaceae/Leguminosae/Papilonaceae - the potato and pea families.
A good 50% of them are deadly, despite the fact that a huge number
of food plants belong to them.

Also Apiaceae/Umbelliferae?

Right. It doesn't seem to have the same density of poisonous plants
as the the two I mentioned, but isn't short of them ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:00 PM
pammyT

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Some forms of Ipomoea are eaten in the Far East, and they are fairly
closely related. I suspect that bindweed would only give you mild
indigestion. The families to watch out for are the Solanaceae and
the Fabaceae/Leguminosae/Papilonaceae - the potato and pea families.
A good 50% of them are deadly, despite the fact that a huge number
of food plants belong to them.

Also Apiaceae/Umbelliferae?

Right. It doesn't seem to have the same density of poisonous plants
as the the two I mentioned, but isn't short of them ....

My goats used to like it too when I had goats. I understood from an old
book that it was useful in cases of diarrhoeah as it would help 'bind' the
motions.
Funny enouh the tortoise was indeed ill when I got him and he had
diarrhoeah so perhaps he knows what to eat which will help him?

Old 11-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

Funny enouh the tortoise was indeed ill when I got him and he had
diarrhoeah so perhaps he knows what to eat which will help him?

Creatures very often seem to. My goats used to go nuts for ivy if they
were unwell.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Bindweed problem Ellen Connell United Kingdom 14 06-08-2003 10:12 AM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM