Old 15-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default tidying up flower pots

Does anyone have any feasible suggestions for storing flower pots in
such a way that they look fairly orderly or tidy? Are there commercial
storage systems for them or ways to put them on shelves etc without
piling them up inside each other?
I have loads of pots. probably about several hundred which are of
varying sizes and a few different shapes. I've tried putting them on
concrete piled in little columns, tried laying them on their side etc
but would love to buy or build something that you could store them in
yet be able to get at each size if you wanted.

How do large gardens/nurseries do it?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 15-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Does anyone have any feasible suggestions for storing flower pots in
such a way that they look fairly orderly or tidy? Are there commercial
storage systems for them or ways to put them on shelves etc without
piling them up inside each other?

I store mine stacked in sizes and shapes, laid flat in those big
stackable plastic bakery trays. You can get the front ones out through
the gap at the front of the tray, except when dratted wrens and robins
make their nest in the front pot which seems to hapen rather often. At
the last place, I had a neat little den for the stacks of trays, made
with stacks of concrete blocks and roofing sheets on top. Here, they
live in the cave under the oil tank.

I get shipwrecked bakery trays from the beach, but you sometimes see
them discarded on tips and in rivers. HTH

Janet.
Old 18-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

We just pile them up in different open-topped wooden containers, according
to size but we've probably got more space than domestic gardens to have
several wooden 'skips' up by the oil tank. When new pots are supplied they
come in long mesh 'stockings'. If you can get hold of something of that
sort, it might help your problem. But the wooden containers wouldn't be
difficult for anyone to make if they're reasonably handy with a hammer!
Then the pots are stacked together and lie on their sides.

I can see where I go wrong of course, I accept pots from all and sundry
which means I have about four different shapes for every diameter

Janet

Old 18-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

We just pile them up in different open-topped wooden containers, according
to size but we've probably got more space than domestic gardens to have
several wooden 'skips' up by the oil tank. When new pots are supplied they
come in long mesh 'stockings'. If you can get hold of something of that
sort, it might help your problem. But the wooden containers wouldn't be
difficult for anyone to make if they're reasonably handy with a hammer!
Then the pots are stacked together and lie on their sides.

I can see where I go wrong of course, I accept pots from all and sundry
which means I have about four different shapes for every diameter

What I need is some storage system which will accept the stack of mixed
sized and shaped pots which is the result of the average re-potting
session and stack it away tidily so that next time I want 30 3inch pots
they are all sitting there together waiting for me.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting through the 6 plastic
storage bins under the cypress which is my current storage option,
sorting all the pots into sizes and types, emptying out the cypress
leaves, using the collected rainwater and brown sludge to water the pots
on the terrace, and relocating the resident frogs to the main pond.
--
Kay

Old 18-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

But perhaps an
old-fashioned playpen, rather than one of the 'lobster pot' ones, would do
the trick.

Oh I can understand that one, GOOD idea Sacha. Maybe I can get a
second-hand one or even a second-hand puppy pen. Thanks

Janet
Old 19-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes

But perhaps an
old-fashioned playpen, rather than one of the 'lobster pot' ones, would do
the trick.

Oh I can understand that one, GOOD idea Sacha. Maybe I can get a
second-hand one or even a second-hand puppy pen. Thanks

I haven't been following this thread, but many years ago I visited the
potting-shed of an old gardener, and he had his (clay) pots hanging from
a beam in his shed.

The beam had a row of nails, and the pots were on a line. The line had a
loop at the top and a cut nail crossways on the bottom.

Voila! A hanging barrage for when you're groping around in the dark!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 20-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Totty

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes

But perhaps an
old-fashioned playpen, rather than one of the 'lobster pot' ones, would do
the trick.

Oh I can understand that one, GOOD idea Sacha. Maybe I can get a
second-hand one or even a second-hand puppy pen. Thanks

I haven't been following this thread, but many years ago I visited the
potting-shed of an old gardener, and he had his (clay) pots hanging from
a beam in his shed.

The beam had a row of nails, and the pots were on a line. The line had a
loop at the top and a cut nail crossways on the bottom.

Voila! A hanging barrage for when you're groping around in the dark!

Buy half a dozen of those cheap plastic net scrunchy jobs sold for
exfoliating yourself in the shower. Remove the cord holding the loops
together, you will be left with a couple of metres of net tube which
will expand to take up to a 15cm diameter pot, and is flexible enough
to cope with differing shapes. Tie a knot in one end and thread a piece
of cord through as a drawstring at the other. Hang up or not, as
desired.

--
Jo