Old 20-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Paul Giverin

Default Perovskia with yellowing leaves

I planted a Perovskia last year which seemed to be growing well this
year but it now has developed a problem. The stems are about 36" long
but on the bottom 18 inches, the leaves are turning yellow, mainly the
extremities of the leaves. The soil is light and free draining.

My neighbour has one of these out the front of his house which is about
8 years old and his looks fine. He doesn't use any sort of fertiliser
and his plants just "get on with it".

Does it sound like mine is suffering from some sort of deficiency?

Cheers,

--
Paul Giverin

Old 21-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Spider

Paul Giverin wrote in message
news
I planted a Perovskia last year which seemed to be growing well this
year but it now has developed a problem. The stems are about 36" long
but on the bottom 18 inches, the leaves are turning yellow, mainly the
extremities of the leaves. The soil is light and free draining.

My neighbour has one of these out the front of his house which is about
8 years old and his looks fine. He doesn't use any sort of fertiliser
and his plants just "get on with it".

Does it sound like mine is suffering from some sort of deficiency?

Cheers,

--
Paul Giverin

Hi Paul,

I wonder if this could just be drought. Your plant may not be fully
established yet, and is probably struggling in this very hot weather. Give
it a really good soak every second or third day. Don't be tempted to merely
dribble on it - a good soak will encourage the roots to grow deeper .. a
dribble will bring the desperate roots to the surface where they will bake.

Spider

Old 21-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Paul Giverin

In message , Spider
writes

Paul Giverin wrote in message
news
I planted a Perovskia last year which seemed to be growing well this
year but it now has developed a problem. The stems are about 36" long
but on the bottom 18 inches, the leaves are turning yellow, mainly the
extremities of the leaves. The soil is light and free draining.

Hi Paul,

I wonder if this could just be drought. Your plant may not be fully
established yet, and is probably struggling in this very hot weather. Give
it a really good soak every second or third day. Don't be tempted to merely
dribble on it - a good soak will encourage the roots to grow deeper .. a
dribble will bring the desperate roots to the surface where they will bake.

Spider

Thanks for that Spider. Its certainly a possibility. Although I do water
every few days if we have had no rain, my Perovskia has a pea shingle
mulch and perhaps I don't water it as much as if didn't have the pea
shingle because I assume that it will retain more water.

Cheers,

--
Paul Giverin

Old 22-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:39:23 +0100, Paul Giverin
wrote:

I planted a Perovskia last year which seemed to be growing well this
year but it now has developed a problem. The stems are about 36" long
but on the bottom 18 inches, the leaves are turning yellow, mainly the
extremities of the leaves. The soil is light and free draining.

My neighbour has one of these out the front of his house which is about
8 years old and his looks fine. He doesn't use any sort of fertiliser
and his plants just "get on with it".

Does it sound like mine is suffering from some sort of deficiency.

I had one: haveit no longer and it used to do that too, so don't worry
too much.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Paul Giverin

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

I planted a Perovskia last year which seemed to be growing well this
year but it now has developed a problem. The stems are about 36" long
but on the bottom 18 inches, the leaves are turning yellow, mainly the
extremities of the leaves. The soil is light and free draining.

I had one: haveit no longer and it used to do that too, so don't worry
too much.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam.

--
Paul Giverin

Yellowing lily leaves Fred Ponds 3 08-04-2003 06:44 AM
Bonsai Bamboo, yellowing leaves Chris Plant Biology 4 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Yellowing leaves on phals rick Orchids 5 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
Bonsai Bamboo, yellowing leaves rusty Plant Biology 0 23-02-2003 01:31 AM
Bonsai Bamboo, yellowing leaves and stalk Chris Bamboo 2 06-02-2003 07:03 AM