Old 31-08-2016, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ping songbird: a theory to run by you

On 08/31/2016 07:17 AM, songbird wrote:
i was just curious if you had an easy source of
fruit seeds to work with. even if you can't eat
the fruits, the wood is useful and of course any
scraps you can get from anyone who cans apple sauce
would be free organic matter.

I buy my berries at the supermarket and Trader Joe's,
mostly blueberries.

Do you know of a cold weather berry I might grow?

I am a bit afraid to bury cherry pits, as they might grow.
Folks around these parts buy them for their wood burning
stoves (whole house heaters). Their houses always smell
so nice during the winter!
Old 31-08-2016, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/31/2016 07:17 AM, songbird wrote:
I can have a few stone fruits too, but not a lot.
I will use an over ripe apricot smashed and simmered
in butter as a topping for coconut pancakes, etc..

yeah, i like peanut butter and apple sauce on
mine at times. don't eat them very often though.
we're not huge breakfast eaters.

I haven't made coconut pancakes in a while. The wife loves
them too. But, with all the produce to cook, it will
probably have to wait for winter.

I had too many zukes this weeks. I had to freeze some
of what I cooked. Things are looking up!

I am now down to 14 zukes plants. About half of them
will produce a fruit every other week.
Old 31-08-2016, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/31/2016 12:09 PM, T wrote:
I am a bit afraid to bury cherry pits, as they might grow.

I have buried avocado pits. So far they have not sprouted.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I haven't made coconut pancakes in a while. The wife loves
them too. But, with all the produce to cook, it will
probably have to wait for winter.

I had too many zukes this weeks. I had to freeze some
of what I cooked. Things are looking up!

great to hear. what else are you growing besides
zuchini?

I am now down to 14 zukes plants. About half of them
will produce a fruit every other week.

our cucumbers took a hit from the heavy
rains, but the vines are not dead and have
a few green leaves coming back. so we'll
leave them in, it's not like i need the space
for anything else.

songbird
Old 31-08-2016, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I have buried avocado pits. So far they have not sprouted.

not a cold loving plant IIRC.

i sprouted some once in some pots, but they
get big.

chopping the pits up keeps them from sprouting
and i hope they will make good worm food as that's
what i've done with some here.

they have an interesting yellow color when
oxidized.

songbird

Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/31/2016 3:22 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I have buried avocado pits. So far they have not sprouted.

not a cold loving plant IIRC.

i sprouted some once in some pots, but they
get big.

chopping the pits up keeps them from sprouting
and i hope they will make good worm food as that's
what i've done with some here.

they have an interesting yellow color when
oxidized.

songbird

We have young avocado trees coming up every where. Seems they don't
compost easily. We also have a lemon tree about three feet tall now. We
had one in Louisiana and must have brought some seeds with us. This
lemon is actually a cross between a lemon and a grapefruit, they have
fruit the size of a large grapefruit but taste like lemons. I'm hoping
this one will survive as we used to make a lot of lemon jelly, put up
lemon juice, etc.

We're waiting to see about the avocados, they need males and females to
make fruit, surely there is a variety of sexes there.

Miz Anne's sisters flew in from Maryland today. Big wedding in the
family here very soon so the whole crew is showing up.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/31/2016 01:19 PM, songbird wrote:
our cucumbers took a hit from the heavy
rains, but the vines are not dead and have
a few green leaves coming back. so we'll
leave them in, it's not like i need the space
for anything else.

I bought a lemon cucumber at half price. I died
on me. Lemon cucumbers a e really good eating
too. Rats!

When you buy your cucumbers next years and if
you remember, would you post the name of the
variety. You have made me extremely interested!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/31/2016 01:19 PM, songbird wrote:
I had too many zukes this weeks. I had to freeze some
of what I cooked. Things are looking up!

great to hear. what else are you growing besides
zuchini?

Hi Songbird,

Well now. That will get me talking!

7 sweet 100 cherry tomatoes
2 Box Car Willie tomatoes
1 Ace (1/2 price) tomato

1 poblano (ancho) chili
2 Sandia Chimayo (new mexico red) peppers
1 is still sick, the other is covered with peppers.
I am going out of my mind waiting for them to turn red.

garlic
red shallots

purslane

two eggplants (1 free and 1 half price)

two sunflowers (blew in wild)

7 tomatillo (6 wild, 1 Amarillo that escaped the earwigs)

2 cantaloupes (they are not doing too well)

1 rosemary (alive, but not growing)

Not for eating: two Ponderosa pines about 18" high

Front yard is full of hollyhocks. They have mostly gone
to seed, but I still have a few flowers. My front yard
was gorgeous when they were all in bloom.

They have made a slave out of me: More water! Less water!
I'm too hot! I'm to cold! What are you doing with my offspring?
A bug! A bug! A bug! Bring me my slippers!

Okay, that last one may be a certain particular funny bunny
that seems to like me for the last 42 years.

-T

Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I bought a lemon cucumber at half price. I died
on me. Lemon cucumbers a e really good eating
too. Rats!

When you buy your cucumbers next years and if
you remember, would you post the name of the
variety. You have made me extremely interested!

burpee cucumber and pickling cucumber that is all
the labels had written on them. if i remember i'll
ask the greenhouse people. Ma stopped in today to
drop off a few quarts of things for them -- i coulda
had her ask.

the burpee cucumbers get huge (the size of my
forearm) the other kind stay shorter. i have to
harvest about once a week when they are blooming.
right now they are on haitus abit, but a few blooms
are showing up.

songbird