Old 14-01-2008, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Killing off Wild Garlic

I have wild garlic all over my yard. In the grass, tangled in with my
tulips and daffs, around the roses, in the side walk. Literally
everywhere it can grow. Pulling it up is not working, and from what
I'm reading, it usually doesn't. Roundup is supposed to work, but I
prefer a more environmentally friendly option.

Around the roses I put down a weed barrier and some mulch over that.
It went through the water holes in the barrier and is just as strong.
At least the other weeds are gone. I can't do that in the yard, even
if it worked for the roses.

As for eating it, I prefer to eat the ones that I grow just for that
purpose, I want to have a pretty yard as well.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

--
Start living a sustainable life. Start making a difference now!
http://TiredGarden.Info
Old 14-01-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Wild garlic is one of the "cockroaches" of the weed world, even more
invasive than wild onion. The weed cloth allows light to pass through,
that's why the garlic isn't slowing down. Pulling and digging only
encourages division of the bulbs. A thick mulch of newspaper over a period
of time will eventually get rid of it but it's most likely not going to
happen in a few years. All you can do with that growing in the lawn is to
keep it cut as low to the ground as possible and over, again, a period of
time it will eventually weaken the plant enough to die off. Wild garlic is
tougher than wild onion to eradicate since the garlic spreads by both seed
and bulb division. If you don't want to bring out the big guns and use an
herbicide you have your work cut out for you for quite a few years to come.
Carry with you always an old pair of scissors when in the garden and when
you see the tell tale signs emerging from the soil or lawn CUT them off at
below ground level. Squelch the urge to pull them out and never let it go
long enough to flower. Think of it as a quest.

Val

Old 14-01-2008, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

TiredGardener wrote:

I have wild garlic all over my yard. In the grass, tangled in with my
tulips and daffs, around the roses, in the side walk. Literally
everywhere it can grow. Pulling it up is not working, and from what
I'm reading, it usually doesn't. Roundup is supposed to work, but I
prefer a more environmentally friendly option.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

--
Start living a sustainable life. Start making a difference now!
http://TiredGarden.Info

I gave up years ago trying to get completely rid of it. I do pull it up
from my gardening beds and that works fairly well there. For stuff
growing in the grass I just keep it trimmed and it really doesn't bother
me. Around sidewalks a good organic solution is 5 percent vinegar (not
the "watereed down" stuff). It is a good idea to trim it before you
spray it so that the surface is broken and the spray can penetrate.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 14-01-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 14, 1:04*am, TiredGardener wrote:
[...]

Roundup is probably the most friendly choice you have, a method of
spot application that works is a rubber glove covered with a cheap
cotton glove dipped in the solution, pull your roundup coated glove
over the weeds to coat them.
Old 14-01-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

I second Val's suggestion of layering with newspaper or escalating to
cardboard. Ya-shur, it's a pretty good deal.

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

[...]

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...490698,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 14-01-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

TiredGardener wrote:
I have wild garlic all over my yard. �In the grass, tangled in with my
tulips and daffs, around the roses, in the side walk. �Literally
everywhere it can grow. �Pulling it up is not working, and from what
I'm reading, it usually doesn't. �Roundup is supposed to work, but I
prefer a more environmentally friendly option.

A precision Roundup application will eliminate those plants that are
growing now but new ones will return from the many bulbettes still in
the soil. I suggest you have your soil tested and amend it, it's
probably more condusive to growing garlic than lawn grass... if you
see any mosses growing in your lawn and/or anywhere nearby that is a
good indication that your soil is more amenable to garlic than lawn
grasses. Also over fertilizing can encourage all sorts of weed growth
by weakening the lawn grasses (many people think if a little
fertilizer is good then a lot is super, not). And sticking to a
regimen of keeping your lawn properly watered, mowed, and aerated will
do much to erradicate all weeds. Very first thing is to have your
soil tested, especially from areas where the garlic is most
pronounced. I bet you find out that your soil is too acid... it will
need a good application of lime, and a deep plug aeration can't hurt.
Old 14-01-2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 14, 1:04�am, TiredGardener wrote:
I have wild garlic all over my yard. �In the grass, tangled in with my
tulips and daffs, around the roses, in the side walk. �Literally
everywhere it can grow. �Pulling it up is not working, and from what
I'm reading, it usually doesn't. �Roundup is supposed to work, but I
prefer a more environmentally friendly option.

Roundup works well if you apply it carefully. But wild onion/garlic
will return unless you do some testing to discover why it's growing
there in the first place. Have your soil tested and amend it to
correct it's Ph. Also you may be over fertilizing and not watering
your lawn properly. You very well may be doing something that is
hostile to your lawn grasses but encourages those bulbs. A well
established healthy lawn should annialate many weeds, especially
bulbs. You also need to stick to a proper mowing regimen. I don't
know where you are located but it doesn't matter, nowhere in the US
are lawn grasses native. Lawns are difficult and require a lot of
care because they are composed of plants that don't want to be there.
First step is to test your soil.

Old 20-01-2008, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 14, 12:07 pm, Sheldon wrote:
I suggest you have your soil tested and amend it, it's
probably more condusive to growing garlic than lawn grass... if you
see any mosses growing in your lawn and/or anywhere nearby that is a
good indication that your soil is more amenable to garlic than lawn
grasses. Also over fertilizing can encourage all sorts of weed growth
by weakening the lawn grasses (many people think if a little
fertilizer is good then a lot is super, not). And sticking to a
regimen of keeping your lawn properly watered, mowed, and aerated will
do much to erradicate all weeds. Very first thing is to have your
soil tested, especially from areas where the garlic is most
pronounced. I bet you find out that your soil is too acid... it will
need a good application of lime, and a deep plug aeration can't hurt.

Thanks, I think this was the most useful response. I'll swing by the
garden center now that I'm feeling better and pick up a soil test
kit. I'll also read about applying lime. I bet I'm a little early in
the year for that, even in mild Oregon.

I'm more worried about it in the future. We have lived here a couple
years now and are starting to work more heavily on the yard. It is
awful. When we moved in there were weeds higher than the roses.
Grasses, vetch, cosmos, and the garlic (bulbets in full bloom) sitting
there choking out these wonderful roses. We have gotten most of it
under control, but are still fighting the garlic (corn gluten, the
weed barrier and digging). There were even bulbs planted among the
rosed (tulips, daffs, iris, lilies, and more). They were moved (next
is digging up the ones left in the yard).

I want to get the garlic under control this year, so that I can lay
down some grass in the yard. If amending the soil will help, I'll do
that. It sounds like maybe if I do what is right for grass it will
not completely rid me of my pest, but will keep it under better
control.

And as I said, Roundup will not be used until all friendly options
fail. (I have faith that if I stick to Earth friendly methods, I will
not need poison, and my garden will be better for it and healthier)

Jason

[IMG] code is On

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Help or suggestions for killing wild Onions? Eric Kent Lawns 9 22-12-2006 10:25 PM
Wild Garlic Jon United Kingdom 102 13-05-2003 09:56 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM