Old 12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Registered User

Question How much should a gardener cost?

Hi All

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so here goes!!!

Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

The garden is about 5m by 10m and is about 2/3 lawn and the rest is a kind of box hedge about 60cm high and then beds to the other 3 sides.

It is for my mother who lives in the Bradford region (West Yorkshire) and I want her to get a good professional in who will take everything away and make a nice job of it.

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get somebody good.

Many Thanks
Lawnmower Man
Old 12-12-2005, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default How much should a gardener cost?

Around here, Bradford, I guess you would expect 5-10 per hour.
I would be inclined to get a fixed price for clearing and getting the garden
in an OK state first.

--
lawnmower man

Old 12-12-2005, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"lawnmower man" wrote

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for
this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so
here goes!!!

Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy
a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and
keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

The garden is about 5m by 10m and is about 2/3 lawn and the rest is a
kind of box hedge about 60cm high and then beds to the other 3 sides.

It is for my mother who lives in the Bradford region (West Yorkshire)
and I want her to get a good professional in who will take everything
away and make a nice job of it.

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

The one around here charged £15 per hour min £45 two years ago and he wasn't
a trained gardener just an odd job man.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/12/05 15:02, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

[...]

Could you try to post directly to and from urg, please? Garden Banter does
not have permission from most people here to use their posts and is simply
living off the efforts of others. I don't get garden banter posts at all,
and I doubt I'm the only one so it might be more helpful to you now and in
the future to use urg directly, if you can.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-12-2005, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

The one around here charged £15 per hour min £45 two years ago and he wasn't
a trained gardener just an odd job man.

That's about the same here now, too. Our chap brings his own machinery,
too. But he doesn't garden, as such - he cuts the lawns, does the hedges in
autumn, things like that.

We have a gem who can do all the basic stuff, he also builds and
repairs stone walls, we pay him £10 per.hour plus tea and biscuits when
he has done,we get value for money :-)

kate
Gloucestershire
Old 12-12-2005, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

That's both of you net nanny owners of this newsgroup had a go now.

Just what is the matter with the pair of you that you BOTH have to 'Have a
go' at both the poster and Garden banter?

Which one of you is 'Mabel at the Table'? And just remember where she ended
up :-(( on a soap. Is that all you think both of you are fit for?

AND YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO HAVE A GO AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Sorry, unable to 'name drop' as to who lived in my house before me

:-(((((((((

--
..
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from lawnmower man contains
these words:

Hi All

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for
this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so
here goes!!!

You aren't looking in the right place. uk .rec.gardening is a usenet
newsgroup, and has nothing to do with gardenbanter. You're not seeing
the full real newsgroup, just the pitifully mangled clumsy fraction of
it which gardenbanter permits you to see.

The urg archive also has nothing to do with gardenbanter and is not
located on that website.

You'll find free public access to the REAL urg archive at
http://groups.google.com/
Type the name of the group in the search field. From there. go to
it's self explanatory.

Janet

Old 12-12-2005, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb

Depends as to whether you employ a gardener/OAP someone who just does
it in his spare time, and gets paid in cash. Nudge nudge wink wink,
don't tell the tax man/employment office/benefits office etc etc.

Or a full time gardener, who has a family to keep, and a van and
insurance etc etc.

The first one you might get for £5/hr. The second one anything from
£10/hr upwards.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"lawnmower man" wrote in message

Hi All

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for
this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so
here goes!!!

Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy
a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and
keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

The garden is about 5m by 10m and is about 2/3 lawn and the rest is a
kind of box hedge about 60cm high and then beds to the other 3 sides.

It is for my mother who lives in the Bradford region (West Yorkshire)
and I want her to get a good professional in who will take everything
away and make a nice job of it.

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

The best advice is to get a personal recommendation of a suitable
person from somebody living locally. Cost is immaterial if they
can't in fact do a satisfactory job. And the only way to find out
whether they can or not, is from existing satisfied customers
rather than any claims they may make about themselves, in their
entry in "Yellow Pages"

michael adams

Many Thanks
Lawnmower Man

--
lawnmower man

Old 12-12-2005, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"gb" wrote in message
Depends as to whether you employ a gardener/OAP someone who just does
it in his spare time, and gets paid in cash. Nudge nudge wink wink,
don't tell the tax man/employment office/benefits office etc etc.

Or a full time gardener, who has a family to keep, and a van and
insurance etc etc.

The first one you might get for £5/hr. The second one anything from
£10/hr upwards.

The second sometimes does a nudge nudge wink wink as well.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:40:56 +0000, Sacha wrote:

the person who looks after the local churchyard........

They get paid nothing!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/12/05 19:40, in article ,
"Saxman" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:40:56 +0000, Sacha wrote:

the person who looks after the local churchyard........

They get paid nothing!

Really? Where is that? You mean whoever does it, does it for love? AFAIK,
sextons get paid, surely? However, they might be willing to do such work
themselves or know people who do.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-12-2005, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob Hobden"
answered
"lawnmower man"

snip

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

The one around here charged £15 per hour min £45 two years ago and he
wasn't
a trained gardener just an odd job man.

That's about the same here now, too. Our chap brings his own machinery,
too. But he doesn't garden, as such - he cuts the lawns, does the hedges
in
autumn, things like that.

This guy did painting and decorating as well as tidying up gardens but
couldn't prune my neighbours apple trees etc.
He now concentrates on the painting and decorating side and there is another
"gardener" about now and he appears more professional, unfortunately I have
no idea how much he charges.

Old 13-12-2005, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/12/05 22:24, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

I think that a 'real' gardener would probably be twice the price but does
anyone with the average sized garden need such a person? I'm talking about
someone who would run a garden as a housekeeper would run a house, and both
are few and far between these days in private houses. Such a gardener would
do absolutely *everything* including taking cuttings from his or her
employer's plants, raising plants from seed, bringing on veg or fruit for
the family's table etc. etc. What most people mean by a gardener nowadays,
is someone who cuts the grass, does a bit of weeding as directed and
generally keeps things tidy.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk