Old 14-03-2016, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default where is everyone?

Whaere are you all?
You can't blame bad weather this time.
I saw my first wild cowslip yesterday. I don't rmember cowslips his
early before. Are they flowering elsewhere?
I had a lovely show of crocus tomasinianus in my front garden. They
have seeded around in the gravel.
Now I just have a sea of crocus "grass" and it looks a mess. Can't
wait for it to die down.
Pam in sunny Keynsham
Old 14-03-2016, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

Whaere are you all?

I can; after a week of unseasonably warm weather in (New) York, cold and
drizzle, with more predicted for the rest of the week.
Remember that I'm substantially behind most of you U.K. folk, so the two
lonely crocus flowers in my back lawn were a welcome sight!
I planted them so long ago that the packet warned against their being
trampled by passing mastodons.
Various things starting under lights, and I'm trying to get the hang of
grafting tomatoes.

Old 14-03-2016, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2016 12:25, Pam Moore wrote:
Whaere are you all?

Taking a machete to the rose thicket. It was a close thing, but I won on
points.

Andy
Old 15-03-2016, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2016 12:25, Pam Moore wrote:
Whaere are you all?

Mostly in the greenhouse and contemplating (for ages) the choice of the
« grelinette » against the two-wheel tractor...
---
That is, because, in reality, I need to get the cement mixer running
(without cement though), install the water-pipes, add an electrical
cable for the exterior of the house and...
---
really do not like any of those ...

Ah! I have a tunnel to prepare and see how the beetroots in the other one
have overcome another cold night (Ahem. I already know they are fine)...
the hen house could use some painting... I guess. No?

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG brainpoolP512r1/5C2A258D 2015-10-02 [expires: 2017-10-01]

Old 15-03-2016, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/16 12:51, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:25:26 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Whaere are you all?
You can't blame bad weather this time.
I saw my first wild cowslip yesterday. I don't rmember cowslips his
early before. Are they flowering elsewhere?
I had a lovely show of crocus tomasinianus in my front garden. They
have seeded around in the gravel.
Now I just have a sea of crocus "grass" and it looks a mess. Can't
wait for it to die down.
Pam in sunny Keynsham

We're all taking advantage of this Spring weather to get out and do
stuff. I've at last managed to cut my moss (er...grass? In there
somewhere!), which hasn't seen a mower for six months, and has been
steadily growing due to the mild wet weather.

It took me three times as long to do the lawn on Sunday. I had to stop
every 10 metres to empty the "grass" box as it was full of moss. That
stuff doesn't cut up like grass, and soon fills the box - mainly with
air! And it also jams the rotary mower blades once the box overflows and
the moss has nowhere to go.

And that was just the smaller front lawn. I've still got the back to do,
but that is much drier and hasn't got anywhere as much moss. Well, it
didn't have the last time I looked...

--

Jeff
Old 15-03-2016, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Jeff Layman wrote:

It took me three times as long to do the lawn on Sunday. I had to
stop every 10 metres to empty the "grass" box as it was full of moss.
That stuff doesn't cut up like grass, and soon fills the box - mainly
with air! And it also jams the rotary mower blades once the box
overflows and the moss has nowhere to go.

And that was just the smaller front lawn. I've still got the back to
do, but that is much drier and hasn't got anywhere as much moss.
Well, it didn't have the last time I looked...

Luxury!

My back lawn needs cutting and scarifying but at the weekend I walked
over it for the first time this year and the amount of water that
squelched out and the depth of my footprints means it will be a few
weeks at least before I can do anything!

--
Chris
Old 15-03-2016, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 09:35:35 -0000,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

Each year
I plant out the flowered indoor forced hyacithins into a bed
beside the patio and they all seem to settle dow - but
strangely most of the ones that are now flowering are blue,
with only about 25% of other colours. Wondering if blue is
their natural colour and some have reverted.

I made a quick online-search and come to the conclusion that
multi-colored hyacinths have been en vogue for several centuries. Wild
varieties are mentioned but I cannot find any information on their
“original” color.
Strange enough, no Wikipedia in any of my languages addresses this
question. I made a comment on the discussion page of the German
Wikipedia (hint hint hint...) but won't on the others.

As there appears to have been a (yet another) dutch hyacinth hype
sometime in the 18th century and I venture that such events have an impact
on the common memory, I deem it possible that all knowledge about the
original plant may have been erased in the process.

.... have I mentioned seedfilms (btw). :-P

Michael

Old 15-03-2016, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:12:03 +0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Whaere are you all?
You can't blame bad weather this time.

Out in the gardening enjoying the sun and catching up on work!
I am whacked and came in for a rest. Neighbour is having some work
done by a contractor and offered me the topsoil they are removing. Too
good to miss, three truckloads dumped in my drive, lots more barrowing
ahead.

Wow, that's a great thing though!

I saw my first wild cowslip yesterday. I don't rmember cowslips his
early before. Are they flowering elsewhere?
I had a lovely show of crocus tomasinianus in my front garden. They
have seeded around in the gravel.
Now I just have a sea of crocus "grass" and it looks a mess. Can't wait
for it to die down.
Pam in sunny Keynsham

It's a great year for crocus here too. I have whitewell purple all
along the roadside verge.

We're nearly into the "crocus grass" stage too. I usually leave that
area of the lawn until June 1, which gives the bulbs time to lay in
energy for the following year. As with Janet, been a good year for
crocuses.

Frogspawn appeared i8n the pond the day before yesterday. The baby

We noticed the frogspawn last WE too.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 15-03-2016, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:54:11 -0400, Gary Woods wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:

Whaere are you all?

I can; after a week of unseasonably warm weather in (New) York, cold and
drizzle, with more predicted for the rest of the week.

Was in NY in mid-Feb, -16C with a horrible wind! I got really sick in
it, actually. Hate NY in Feb but always good to see family.

Indeed we're way ahead of you although also north. Thanks to the Gulf
Stream. Daffs are heading towards done and hyacinths full out.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 15-03-2016, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2016 12:25, Pam Moore wrote:
Whaere are you all?
You can't blame bad weather this time.
I saw my first wild cowslip yesterday. I don't rmember cowslips his
early before. Are they flowering elsewhere?
I had a lovely show of crocus tomasinianus in my front garden. They
have seeded around in the gravel.
Now I just have a sea of crocus "grass" and it looks a mess. Can't
wait for it to die down.
Pam in sunny Keynsham

I know what you mean Pam but I can still blame the bad weather as I
still cant get on the ground to do anything and also my main excuse is
having the wife back in hospital yet again, this time she has been in 18
days.
Well I say 18 days, but she went in at 6am on Saturday, was found a bed
at 10pm then was sent home on the Sunday and told to come back to the
burns unit next day for an appointment at 11am and the cardiac dept
would be in touch.On the Monday she got to Burns and they couldn't find
anything about an appointment, took half an hour before they traced the
person who had forgotten to book it. then the consultant came in and
took one look at he shivering under 2 blankets in the chair and said
"You should be in hospital" finally re-admitted just after midnight, and
has been in ever since. Main problems, friction burn on her neck where
she caught it on the arm of her armchair as she collapsed in the early
hours of the morning , and yet again E coli UTI. (In 8 times last year
with the same thing)
Might be coming out today but who knows.
David @ a still rain free side of Swansea Bay
Old 18-03-2016, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2016 12:25, Pam Moore wrote:
Whaere are you all?
You can't blame bad weather this time.
I saw my first wild cowslip yesterday. I don't rmember cowslips his
early before. Are they flowering elsewhere?
I had a lovely show of crocus tomasinianus in my front garden. They
have seeded around in the gravel.
Now I just have a sea of crocus "grass" and it looks a mess. Can't
wait for it to die down.
Pam in sunny Keynsham

Hi Pam, and everyone,

I have been very busy with some gardening (weeding and hedge trimming),
helping a neighbour in her garden, but also been away for a few days.
Hoping to get back in the garden today, but loads to do indoors, too.

I did my first lawn cut in mid-February while it was relatively mild and
dryish, but it's getting ready for another cut already.
I've had a lovely show of spring 'bulbs': snowdrops, winter aconite,
cyclamen coum, crocuses, narcissi (N. 'Falconet' is a beauty and well
scented), ranunculus (good, bronzy-leaved one), anenome blanda blue.
Some tulips coming through now, but tulipa sylvestris (scented) already
out. Muscari now looking *gorgeous* next to the anenome blanda.
I've also got loads of primroses and primulas in flower; brunnera
macrophylla and epimedium coming through. My Erysimum 'Bowle's Mauve'
is looking tired but attracting bees, so I'll be putting lots more of
that in soon. It is truly joyful to see the bees already. It's
impossible to see a bee and not smile:~).

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London