Old 03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
tracey

Default blueberry

hi,

i live in perth, and i am wondering if anyone knows where i can buy some
blueberry seeds from, online or local. thanks in advance

tracey

Old 03-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Paul

In article ,
"tracey" wrote:

hi,

i live in perth, and i am wondering if anyone knows where i can buy some
blueberry seeds from, online or local. thanks in advance

tracey

Hi Tracey,

Also in Perth. I bought named varieties of blueberry plants. Dawsons
in O'Connor had some. I also bought one from Bunnings in Melville.
Growing well on north side of house in (pretty much) full sun.

I haven't tried seed. Do they grow true to type? What's your plan?

Paul
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
tracey

u...

"tracey" wrote in message
hi,

i live in perth, and i am wondering if anyone knows where i can buy some
blueberry seeds from, online or local. thanks in advance

tracey

hi leftred, i have spent many hours searching google for them. they arent so
easy to find apparently!! just wondered if anyone knew of the top of their
head tahts all. thanks anyway

Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
tracey

"Paul" wrote in message
In article ,
"tracey" wrote:

hi,

i live in perth, and i am wondering if anyone knows where i can buy some
blueberry seeds from, online or local. thanks in advance

tracey

Hi Tracey,

Also in Perth. I bought named varieties of blueberry plants. Dawsons
in O'Connor had some. I also bought one from Bunnings in Melville.
Growing well on north side of house in (pretty much) full sun.

I haven't tried seed. Do they grow true to type? What's your plan?

Paul

hiya paul,

i dont really have a plan lol.. our mindarie bunnings orderman said they
were hard to get, and he wasnt getting any till after christmas, so i just
thought, i would try some seeds. i had a plant but it died cos i put it in
the alkaline limestone soil up there. But seems as a plant is more easier. i
will keep looking aroudn perth. thanks for your reply

Old 03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Dwayne

Blueberries wont grow very well unless your soil is acidic. They love soil
with a pH of around 4.5. Neutral is 7, and anything above that changes the
taste and growing habits of blueberries and blackberries. My soil has a pH
of 7.2 and my blueberries died out within 3 years of planting them. I even
tried to lower the pH with sulpher additives, and peat moss.

The first thing I would do is test your pH. Then if it is below a pH of 5.5
or 6, I would buy the plants that are 2 or 3 years old if you can get them.
That way you wont have to wait as long to enjoy your harvest. Good luck.

Dwayne

Old 04-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Paul

hiya paul,

i dont really have a plan lol.. our mindarie bunnings orderman said they
were hard to get, and he wasnt getting any till after christmas, so i just
thought, i would try some seeds. i had a plant but it died cos i put it in
the alkaline limestone soil up there. But seems as a plant is more easier. i
will keep looking aroudn perth. thanks for your reply

Extra info. I had my plants in full sun in largish plastic pots in
azalea/camelia mix for their first year. They are now in a bed of 1
cubic metre of azalea/camelia mix in pretty much full sun. Expensive
blueberries, I know, but the kids love them.

Good luck with yours.

Paul
Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
tracey

"Paul" wrote in message

hiya paul,

i dont really have a plan lol.. our mindarie bunnings orderman said they
were hard to get, and he wasnt getting any till after christmas, so i
just
thought, i would try some seeds. i had a plant but it died cos i put it
in
the alkaline limestone soil up there. But seems as a plant is more
easier. i
will keep looking aroudn perth. thanks for your reply

Extra info. I had my plants in full sun in largish plastic pots in
azalea/camelia mix for their first year. They are now in a bed of 1
cubic metre of azalea/camelia mix in pretty much full sun. Expensive
blueberries, I know, but the kids love them.

Good luck with yours.

Paul

oooh thanks for teh azalea/camelia mix info, i will do the same. i head from
some sites that the best way to get more is to take cuttings and they
apparently take quite easy, so if you can find some spare, take some
cuttings, stick them in seedraising mix apparently with rooting mix, and
apparently they'll go off too. cheers for your help

(btw, my kids arent gettting the blueberries, they are mine mine mine lol
;-)

Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
tracey

"Paul" wrote in message

hiya paul,

i dont really have a plan lol.. our mindarie bunnings orderman said they
were hard to get, and he wasnt getting any till after christmas, so i
just
thought, i would try some seeds. i had a plant but it died cos i put it
in
the alkaline limestone soil up there. But seems as a plant is more
easier. i
will keep looking aroudn perth. thanks for your reply

Extra info. I had my plants in full sun in largish plastic pots in
azalea/camelia mix for their first year. They are now in a bed of 1
cubic metre of azalea/camelia mix in pretty much full sun. Expensive
blueberries, I know, but the kids love them.

Good luck with yours.

Paul

oh yes, as a sidenote, i went to a nursery in wanneroo and got two bushes
today,about a foot high, with fruit already on! lots of new shoots, heathy
looking! i am a happy camper.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"leftred" wrote:

Google is your friend. Do a search for Blueberry Seeds.

No, Google is NOT your friend!

I'd leave it till autumn to plant them anyway -- stick with your nurseryman.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.