Old 11-11-2006, 09:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Re Water Restrictions

0tterbot wrote:
wrote in message
Your complaint was that kit builders only offered mcmansions with
rumpus rooms.

I DIDN'T. for the third time, and with different wording yet again in an
effort to get the concept clear - there are not _enough_ modest houses on
offer, comparitively. in the modest-house range, there is _very little_
choice compared to the mcmansion-like market (in particular).

Earlier in the conversation you said the following:

we were looking at what sorts of kit homes etc one could buy.

snip
most of the companies had these horrific monstrosities out the
wazoo & only a few small, nice ones

snip
by "small" or "modest" or whatever i said, i meant, "has three
bedrooms (or two BIG bedrooms, like a proper old-fashioned house), but no
"rumpus room" as big as a football field, or "parent's retreat" or any of
that crap they come up with

These were the statements I was responding to. In my experience
there are plenty of modest designs around. That doesn't mean that
plenty of modest houses get *built*, but most builders (and especially
kit home builders) give a fair share of their design space to houses
in the above range. It isn't the builders' fault if their customers are
only interested in mcmansions.

ceramic tile for living areas is an abysmal idea from every imaginable angle

I lived in a house with ceramic tile floors for 16 years and loved it.
It has much to recommend it.

/rolls eyes

Try not to be obnoxious.

under the circumstances, it's somewhat of a struggle. it is not unreasonable
to be frustrated when someone won't just read what you said for what it is.

You say so much, and it just seems to go off in every possible
direction. One minute you are talking about the size of kit homes,
then you are waxing lyrical about how cheap (!) strawbale and
stone houses are. We have a communication problem, but I don't
think it is my end.

At any rate, this doesn't seem to have much to do with gardening.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
ps.com...
Earlier in the conversation you said the following:

we were looking at what sorts of kit homes etc one could buy.

snip

here is the part you want:

most of the companies had these horrific monstrosities out the
wazoo & only a few small, nice ones

and there you are.
(snip)

These were the statements I was responding to. In my experience
there are plenty of modest designs around. That doesn't mean that
plenty of modest houses get *built*, but most builders (and especially
kit home builders) give a fair share of their design space to houses
in the above range. It isn't the builders' fault if their customers are
only interested in mcmansions.

i'm really not sure what gets built - i was operating entirely on what was
presented as options to the would-be buyer, that i was able to track down
personally, prior to ditching the idea altogether.

At any rate, this doesn't seem to have much to do with gardening.

what about the way one can use a lattice with a decidous vine on the western
side of a house for heat-proofing in summer? :-) i'm interested in the ways
we can rescue houses to make them more pleasant & comfortable, at little or
no cost, which were erected unthoughtfully in the first instance. i concur
it has nothing to do with kit homes - thank god - upon which you were
hyperfocussing, when i originally brought it up in terms of "no house here,
what to do?" (kits being but one option of many).

but housing & gardens _are_ interrelated subjects. this one's done it's
dash, though.
kylie

Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol my parents wouldnt mind at all, dad would love to help out as he knows
how hard it is to break the mould and start out! When they moved out of
the city to the country, no-one spoke to them for about 10 years as they
were too 'weird' living in a shed and having goats etc....OMG why are they
not slashing and burning their block and running cows? They're a bit
odd...best stay away.....type of attitude!!

we actually thought of that sort of thing in advance (many country towns are
very, erm, homogenous), & picked a town where there's such a variety of
weirdos of all sorts there was no way we're going to stand out g. i think
we're the least "conservative"(?) family on our road, but regardless, even
the old-fashioned types around here are fairly open-minded & don't seem to
want to rush to judge anyone (not to their faces, anyway ;-)

anyway, i'll send you an email shortly, & we'll see how we go.
thanks!
kylie

Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"meeee" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like you did very well...mum and dad's district was the largest
voting for one nation district.....lol! TTYL!

Old 13-11-2006, 09:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message
| I'm in NSW and when I bought this house 14 years ago asked the local
| council about fitting a water tank because I had been living out of town
| and had water tanks for many years......the council (in their infinite
| wisdom) refused permission to fit a tank stating it was against their
| policy. Of course, I didn't tell them I wanted the water tank to supply
| drinking water, because I'd had prior warning that they were totally
| against this and any collected water was to be for garden use only.
|
| Now.....it's compulsory to fit a water tank to any new houses.
|
| How their thinking changes??? LOL

Sometimes the lack of a backbone can cause this abnormality of the mind. :-)

Old 14-11-2006, 02:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Andy wrote:
"HC" wrote in message
| I'm in NSW and when I bought this house 14 years ago asked the local
| council about fitting a water tank because I had been living out of town
| and had water tanks for many years......the council (in their infinite
| wisdom) refused permission to fit a tank stating it was against their
| policy. Of course, I didn't tell them I wanted the water tank to supply
| drinking water, because I'd had prior warning that they were totally
| against this and any collected water was to be for garden use only.
|
| Now.....it's compulsory to fit a water tank to any new houses.
|
| How their thinking changes??? LOL

Sometimes the lack of a backbone can cause this abnormality of the mind. :-)

Yeah and the fact they might loose out on revenue.. Thats how far their
backbone extends, and if you look closely, there is the place to kick.
em.
Then they will charge you for harvesting rainwater that would have run
off if you hadnt put the tank there.
Same as dams...