Old 05-12-2006, 05:49 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

Default Isn't it funny how...

Jonno wrote:

takes nitrogen out then releases it again.
I've been using one of these mulching mowers for years,

I've been using mine for more than a decade, and am of the opinion that
it does make a difference.

but with water restrictions etc, wish I had a lawn.

Likewise.

As far as a better lawn is concerend, I dont think it makes much diference.
"Jen" wrote in message

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
ps.com...

"The grass clippings left behind by a mulching mower essentially
function as a lawn fertilizer, as if you were applying compost to the
lawn.

Compost gets to very high temperatures, that's another reason
compost/grass clippings should be composted first.

As for fertilising, like someone else said, dead organic matter takes
nutrients *out* of the soil until it's properly composted.

Jen

--

rgds,

Pete
=====
http://pw352.blogspot.com/
'(A)bort, (R)etry, (P)anic (D)eny this ever happened!'

Old 05-12-2006, 05:55 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

lynx wrote:
TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

Jen wrote:

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
ps.com...

"The grass clippings left behind by a mulching mower essentially
function as a lawn fertilizer, as if you were applying compost to the
lawn.

Compost gets to very high temperatures, that's another reason compost/grass
clippings should be composted first.

As for fertilising, like someone else said, dead organic matter takes
nutrients *out* of the soil until it's properly composted.

We're not talking about compost or grass clippings tho. The mulch
produced by mulching mowers is extremely fine. It doesn't need composting.

Look who's backpedalling now.

Not backpedalling at all dickhead. In any case, I'm only stating the
consensus on the matter. I don't claim to be any sort of expert.

It doesn't matter how fine it is, it is still bad for the lawn.

Only says you. Provide some proof.

Besides, if you cut 1 inch off your grass, the
mulching mower will at best produce two (2) equal half inch pieces of
grass.

Really? Since when did mulching become an exact science? Have you even
ever used a mulching mower?

I know it's not an exact science. That's why I said "at best". In
futurer, it'd be swell if you read what is typed, and not what you
THINK is typed.

And we won't even go off on a tangent about how the lawn will
then require dethatching every few months if you do this - otherwise
you are going to have to mow your "lawn" higher and higher each time.

LOL! Never used a mulching mower have you.

Of course I haven't. As I said earlier, they should be banned. Ask
the next mowing contractor you see and he'll tell you why he doesn't
use them either.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:56 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

Jen wrote:

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
[...]

'Mental backup in progress- Do Not Disturb!'

Old 05-12-2006, 05:57 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

imorf wrote:

ros wrote:

My lawn is pretty green too - i use ALL my grey water from washing
machine (front loader), shower (yes, savers) and rinse water from the
kitchen sink on the grass and plants etc. Adds up to quite a lot,
and everything's thriving, tho i did change my washing powder to
phosphate free 'green care' liquid - aus made, and works great.

/pat on the back.

Meanwhile industry uses how many thousands/millions of litres daily?

It's a renewable resource, so who gives a **** as to how much industry
use. It's not as though we are going to run out.

You're just an idiot.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:04 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

ros wrote:

i know... but i can't do NOTHING just because business is water expensive.
that will change eventually, i hope...

The govt is currently looking at it. But it's annoying how that that
individuals are made to sacrifice, because they're a soft target, while
the authorities close a blind eye to the big boys. Also make me angry
when CWW takes hours to repair a broken main spewing litres of water a
second.

it's not always convenient to do the washing machine/grey water thing, esp
at night, but i have it draining into a big rubbish bin, from which i syphon
it when it suits me... and i'm sick of tripping over buckets in the shower
but when those buckets provide all the water i need for several shrubs, it
sort of seems worthwhile...

I fitted a diverter just this weekend and 20 metre 50mm drainage pipe.
Every bit helps. Still I expect to have a dead lawn before too long,
unless we get rain soon, and then some.

i dunno, perhaps it just makes me feel better, and that can't be a bad thing
)

"lynx" wrote in message

imorf wrote:

ros wrote:

My lawn is pretty green too - i use ALL my grey water from washing
machine (front loader), shower (yes, savers) and rinse water from the
kitchen sink on the grass and plants etc. Adds up to quite a lot, and
everything's thriving, tho i did change my washing powder to phosphate
free 'green care' liquid - aus made, and works great.

/pat on the back.

Meanwhile industry uses how many thousands/millions of litres daily?

--

rgds,

Pete
=====
http://pw352.blogspot.com/
'Love is temporary insanity cureable by marriage'

Old 05-12-2006, 06:04 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general
Jen Jen is offline

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
oups.com...

lynx wrote:
imorf wrote:

ros wrote:
My lawn is pretty green too - i use ALL my grey water from washing
machine (front loader), shower (yes, savers) and rinse water from the
kitchen sink on the grass and plants etc. Adds up to quite a lot,
and everything's thriving, tho i did change my washing powder to
phosphate free 'green care' liquid - aus made, and works great.

/pat on the back.

Meanwhile industry uses how many thousands/millions of litres daily?

It's a renewable resource, so who gives a **** as to how much industry
use. It's not as though we are going to run out.

Are we talking about water here?? And you don't care how much is used?

Jen

Old 05-12-2006, 06:08 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general
Jen Jen is offline

"ros " casscat??ATiinetdotnetdotau wrote in message
i know... but i can't do NOTHING just because business is water expensive.
that will change eventually, i hope...

it's not always convenient to do the washing machine/grey water thing, esp
at night, but i have it draining into a big rubbish bin, from which i
syphon it when it suits me... and i'm sick of tripping over buckets in
the shower but when those buckets provide all the water i need for several
shrubs, it sort of seems worthwhile...

i dunno, perhaps it just makes me feel better, and that can't be a bad
thing )

Every bit helps. And it should make you feel good! I personally am not
that good, but I certainly don't waste it.

Jen

Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

lynx wrote:
TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

Jen wrote:

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
[...]

I read the nonsense that you typed. If you'd actually ever USED a
mulching mower, you'd know that the grass is suspended in the mulching
chamber by the updraft airflow of the blade design, and cut many times
over, until it's too small to be kept afloat, and falls into the lawn.

And we won't even go off on a tangent about how the lawn will
then require dethatching every few months if you do this - otherwise
you are going to have to mow your "lawn" higher and higher each time.

LOL! Never used a mulching mower have you.

Of course I haven't.

I rest my case.

I don't need to own one of those battery powered automatic vacuum
cleaners to know they are no good. Same thing with mulching mowers.

As I said earlier, they should be banned.

But you're an idiot.

Ask
the next mowing contractor you see and he'll tell you why he doesn't
use them either.

I will.

EOD.

Is "EOD" the on-line equivilant of putting your fingers in your ears
and shouting "la la la" when you realise you have lost an argument?
But then again, your argument was filled with wonders like "But you're
an idiot" wasn't it, so it wasn't really a contest.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general
Oz Oz is offline

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jen wrote:
"TG'sFM" wrote in message
ps.com...

"The grass clippings left behind by a mulching mower essentially
function as a lawn fertilizer, as if you were applying compost to the
lawn.

Compost gets to very high temperatures, that's another reason
compost/grass
clippings should be composted first.

As for fertilising, like someone else said, dead organic matter takes
nutrients *out* of the soil until it's properly composted.

That's correct, yet our resident member of The Australian Society of
Horticultural Science doesn't even know the basics it seems.

Maybe you better have a good long think there, Mulching mowers dont leave
large clumps of dead matter on the lawn, it is cut up very finely and
because of this it is deposited below the growth line of the lawn, it acts
as a mulch to the inhibit evaporation and breakes down VERY QUICLKY =====
this is the important bit.
Larg masses of static organic matter break down very slowly, they generate a
lot of heat and amonia during the decaying process, the debris left by a
mulching mower is very small and very fine particles, spread in a thin layer
throughout the lawn, when they break down they produce vurtualy no heat and
vurtualy no amonia, instead they contribute their nutrients to the top soil
much faster than if the same organic matter was caught and stored in a pile
to break down.

as I said, 10 years working as a greenskeeper, doing the Greenkeeper trade
course as well as doing the Horticultural certificate at the same time, then
getting other post graduate qualifications, plus another 10 years on top of
that working in the industry has taught me a thing or two about lawn
maintenance. one of the first things you learn with Bowling greens for an
example , is when you rest them, you take the catcher off the cylinder mower
and it gets turned into a very fine mulch that is left on the green to help
speed up the recovery process, the only reason that we catch the clippings
on a green that is in use, is because the bowlers complaine about all the
clippings sticking to their balls.
the same is also true for cricket pitches and golf greens.
so your personal expirence in the Lawn maintenance industry is????

--

I'm Off to see the Wizard....

Oz

Old 05-12-2006, 07:14 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general
Oz Oz is offline

"lynx" wrote in message
imorf wrote:

ros wrote:
My lawn is pretty green too - i use ALL my grey water from washing
machine (front loader), shower (yes, savers) and rinse water from the
kitchen sink on the grass and plants etc. Adds up to quite a lot, and
everything's thriving, tho i did change my washing powder to phosphate
free 'green care' liquid - aus made, and works great.

/pat on the back.

Meanwhile industry uses how many thousands/millions of litres daily?

My next house is going to be designed along the lines of a house boat in
regards to water use, grey water is stored in a separate tank and then used
for things like flushing the toilet and in a house it could also be pumped
onto the gardens, you just have to change to phosphate free soaps etc.
I'm actually in the planning stages of doing this to my existing house,
especially if restrictions get worse, fortunately mu house is on piers, that
makes it easier to get under there and make the necessary plumbing changes
etc a low level tank along the back of the house will hold the grey water,
only the kitchen sink and toilets will flush directly into the sewerage
system and the rest will be diverted to the tank where a pump will keep the
cisterns in the toilets filled and the rest will go on the garden etc,
already have a large rainwater tank, for the families drinking water, I
estimate I can reduce my water consumption by around 50% this way

--

I'm Off to see the Wizard....

Oz

Old 05-12-2006, 07:26 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

Oz wrote:

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jen wrote:

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
[...]

Right.

Large masses of static organic matter break down very slowly, they generate a
lot of heat and amonia during the decaying process, the debris left by a
mulching mower is very small and very fine particles, spread in a thin layer
throughout the lawn, when they break down they produce vurtualy no heat and
vurtualy no amonia, instead they contribute their nutrients to the top soil
much faster than if the same organic matter was caught and stored in a pile
to break down.

Right again. In fact the particles are so fine, they really don't have
[...]

'Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else'

Old 05-12-2006, 07:27 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

TG'sFM wrote:

lynx wrote:

Jen wrote:

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
[...]

They are good for various purposes, depending on the make.

Same thing with mulching mowers.

As I said earlier, they should be banned.

But you're an idiot.

Ask
the next mowing contractor you see and he'll tell you why he doesn't
use them either.

I will.

EOD.

Is "EOD" the on-line equivilant of putting your fingers in your ears
and shouting "la la la" when you realise you have lost an argument?

No. It's simply reaching the conclusion that you're a waste of space,
and it's a waste of time talking to/trying to have a sensible discussion
with you. But then you are a troll. I should remember that.

But then again, your argument was filled with wonders like "But you're
an idiot" wasn't it,

Filled? Hardly.

so it wasn't really a contest.

No it wasn't. My mistake in treating a fool as rational. Can I have
those myriad links supporting your contentions again please?

Old 05-12-2006, 07:47 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general

"lynx" wrote in message

imorf wrote:

ros wrote:

[...]

I've just fitted a diverter to the laundry outlet. Is it ok to allow the
wash water, i.e. soapy detergent water, to run onto the lawn? Or only
the rinse water?

--

rgds,

Pete
=====
http://pw352.blogspot.com/
'Beta version: Latin for 'doesn't work yet''