Old 13-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Nicholas Steel

Default Cat Deterrent suggestions

I fail to understand the angst towards cats especially when dogs
regularly tear kids/old ladies to pieces,leave monster turds and can
wreck a back garden.

Cats dont do this - they bury their droppings , dont attack people and
you cant detect their presence in a garden.

There's a dichtomy here - cat haters are often dog lovers - usually
men but men of a particular type.The aspects of a cat appeal to
someone who has no interest in domination but puts a high value on
affection and curiousity. Dogs appeal to someone who absolutely must
dominate - wives, mistresses, mates, work collegues, neighbours etc.
Mostly they're men.

One guy I worked with was typical - he loved dogs but also loved his
beer, his footy, his fishing and his extra marital affairs. Overall a
blokey dickhead.He often boasted about his cruelty to cats as a
teenager in a country town.

What he liked about his smelly mutt was its loyalty (subtext -
dependence on him). He would call and it would come. The same dynamic
applied with his wife. Like many dickheads he couldnt fathom the
independence of cats. For that matter he couldnt fathom me - I didnt
like footy or drink beer you see. He spread rumours that I was gay.
When I confronted him about this in the basement carpark he went to
water straight away - a typical gutless dog lover. His strength was
entirely surface.

He hadnt a clue of his inner self or what made him tick nor was he
able to express himself emotionally. He had no idea how to satisfy his
wife emotionally or sexually - his world was entirely physical - just
beer, footy and his dog.

He was typical of doglovers. I've had many confrontations with them
mostly over dogs intruding into my property when let off the lead. One
golden retriever ran at my cat. I had a shovel handy and threw it at
the mutt. It hit but not hard. The dog ran over beside its owner - an
alpha male with a shaved head astride a bike. I pushed him very hard
and he fell on top of the mutt. This was sufficient punishment for
both.

At my weekender at Pt Lonsdale another golden retriever ran onto my
property followed closely by its owner - this time an alpha male gone
to seed - he had it all - the shaved head, fat that he thought was
muscle, arrogant disposition
I told him that his mutt running amok was breaking council by laws.
This ratcheted up into an argument. There would have been a similar
reckoning to the previous incident (a shove)except that his two
children were behind him.
Old 13-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Lindsay

Nicholas Steel wrote:

I fail to understand the angst towards cats especially when dogs
regularly tear kids/old ladies to pieces,leave monster turds and can
wreck a back garden.

Cats dont do this - they bury their droppings

Not always... I had to clean up my back lawn after some arseholes cat
plenty of times.

, dont attack people and
you cant detect their presence in a garden.

Yeah?

I guess they dont spray on peoples property
fight with other cats in the driveway at 2.00am
kill birds
scratch car paint
shit in peoples garden beds

Nothing wrong with cats while they are kept on their owners property.
It's when they go onto others that the problems arise.

Most cat owners conveniently forget about that bit...
Old 14-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Adam

(Nicholas Steel) wrote in message . com...
I fail to understand the angst towards cats especially when dogs
regularly tear kids/old ladies to pieces,

Most dogs don't do this. And 99.9% of dog owners are as disgusted by
the lack of training & responsibility as anyone else.

leave monster turds

Check my front yard for the size & number of cat turds. They are not
buried, and smell far more than the one's my dogs leave in my back
yard.

and can wreck a back garden.

True. But it's my dog, my garden.

Cats dont do this - they bury their droppings

a tiny scraping of dirt or mulch doesn;t consitute burial. And the
disgusting mess in a child's sand pit isn't much fun either.

dont attack people

cats are considered dangerous to infants.
and you cant detect their presence in a garden.

That's amusing. Should I send some of the cat crap from my yard to
prove this ?
Maybe your yard is crap free because it's visiting the surronding
yards.

There's a dichtomy here - cat haters are often dog lovers

True.
- usually men but men of a particular type.The aspects of a cat appeal to
someone who has no interest in domination but puts a high value on
affection and curiousity. Dogs appeal to someone who absolutely must
dominate - wives, mistresses, mates, work collegues, neighbours etc.
Mostly they're men.

Now you are just generalising based on the moronic minority that has
no understanding of the responsibilities of owning an animal.
I know a lot of responsible dog owners, a couple of indifferent ones
but not any moronic ones. I don't know any cat owners that keep their
pet on their own property though.

snip couple of examples of idiots with dogs.

He was typical of doglovers. I've had many confrontations with them
mostly over dogs intruding into my property when let off the lead. One
golden retriever ran at my cat. I had a shovel handy and threw it at
the mutt. It hit but not hard. The dog ran over beside its owner - an
alpha male with a shaved head astride a bike. I pushed him very hard
and he fell on top of the mutt. This was sufficient punishment for
both.

This suggests that you are being more aggressive / alpha male-ish than
the dog owner. I get more cats in my yard than dogs by a ratio of
about 20:1. Most dog owners keep their animals on a leash when they're
walking.

At my weekender at Pt Lonsdale another golden retriever ran onto my
property followed closely by its owner - this time an alpha male gone
to seed - he had it all - the shaved head, fat that he thought was
muscle,
arrogant disposition

Not the only one by the sounds of it.
I told him that his mutt running amok was breaking council by laws.

Good. It was.

This ratcheted up into an argument. There would have been a similar
reckoning to the previous incident (a shove)except that his two
children were behind him.

Back to the aggressive behaviour.

I don't care if someone wants to own a cat. Just remember that your
neighbours don't necessarily want one and keep it in your own yard.
Dog owners are required to keep the animal on their own property or
face fines (and rightly so), yet cat owners seem to let their animal
roam free with no understanding of the mess they leave in other
people's yards.
And a couple of examples :
* As mentioned before - cat crap all over my yard. Smells disgusting,
rank to clean up and it's also a danger to pregnant women ( ie: my
wife not long ago )
* Dead birds. We had a bird feeder for some of the native birds in the
area, but the neighbour's cats stopped this fairly effectively.
* Cat urine on the bonnet of our car, effectively ruining the
paintwork.
* Scratches down the bonnet of another car from a cat sliding off it.
* One person I know gets complaints from her neighbour that her dogs
are barking. The reason - the neighbour's cat intruding into the dog's
yard...
Old 14-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Jock

The real issue here is that you copped shit as a kid and you can empathise
with cats.
Your problem.
Jock
om...

Old 14-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Bumblebee

On 13 Aug 2003 06:32:15 -0700,"Nicholas Steel" posted ...

I fail to understand the angst towards cats especially when dogs
regularly tear kids/old ladies to pieces,leave monster turds and can
wreck a back garden.

Cats dont do this - they bury their droppings , dont attack people and
you cant detect their presence in a garden.

In the neighbourhood where I live, owners of dogs and cats are required
to contain their pets within their own properties. If you take your dogs
for a walk they are required to be on a lead, although the Council has
set aside some areas where dogs are permitted to excercise off-lead.

I have two dogs therefore I don't have a problem with cats in the
backyard, but I have a large well fenced front yard which the dogs can't
access during the night, so I am often bothered by cats squealing and
meowing during the night.

The local council actively pursues wandering dogs and impounds them and
they also loan traps to people who are troubled by cats. After loaning
out traps the Council workers call in each day to collect any cats
captured and the cats are also impounded.

If the dogs and cats are not claimed by their owners or alternatively
homes cannot be found for them, they are humanely put down. I think that
is a terrific way to control what otherwise could be a real nuisance to
other members of a community.

--

Chris Bee

Old 15-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Nicholas Steel

"Jock" wrote in message ...
The real issue here is that you copped shit as a kid and you can empathise
with cats.
Your problem.
Jock

LMAO - your Freudian didactic

Old 15-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Leanne

I love my dog but I dont like cats, I would be inclined to resent your
inferences but I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion... but just
for the record I am not a bloke and I dont like beer.... nor am I
particularly partial to being pigeon holed.

Old 16-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Chookie

"Nicholas Steel" wrote in message
om...

There's a dichtomy here - cat haters are often dog lovers - usually
men but men of a particular type.The aspects of a cat appeal to
someone who has no interest in domination but puts a high value on
affection and curiousity. Dogs appeal to someone who absolutely must
dominate - wives, mistresses, mates, work collegues, neighbours etc.

I am curious as to what Nicholas Steel would make of someone who is a
guinea-pig owner -- I don't particularly like cats or dogs!

I am petite, but neither furry nor vegetarian...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old 17-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Jock

http://www.seuss.org/seuss/freud.seuss.html
Freud indeedy deed!
Jock

Old 10-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Nicholas Steel

(Adam) wrote in message . com...
(Nicholas Steel) wrote in message . com...
I fail to understand the angst towards cats especially when dogs
regularly tear kids/old ladies to pieces,

Most dogs don't do this. And 99.9% of dog owners are as disgusted by
the lack of training & responsibility as anyone else.

leave monster turds

Check my front yard for the size & number of cat turds. They are not
buried, and smell far more than the one's my dogs leave in my back
yard.

LOL - you gotta be kidding? Dog turds are in a league of their own.

and can wreck a back garden.

True. But it's my dog, my garden.

And your problem too eh old timer?

Cats dont do this - they bury their droppings

a tiny scraping of dirt or mulch doesn;t consitute burial. And the
disgusting mess in a child's sand pit isn't much fun either.

It might be character building for the kid, ya know?

dont attack people

cats are considered dangerous to infants.

But dogs more so - esp. when they tear said enfant to pieces - happens all the time.

and you cant detect their presence in a garden.

That's amusing. Should I send some of the cat crap from my yard to
prove this ?

LOL - well that proves your just a cranky old bugger.
Maybe your yard is crap free because it's visiting the surronding
yards.

There's a dichtomy here - cat haters are often dog lovers

True.
- usually men but men of a particular type.The aspects of a cat appeal to
someone who has no interest in domination but puts a high value on
affection and curiousity. Dogs appeal to someone who absolutely must
dominate - wives, mistresses, mates, work collegues, neighbours etc.
Mostly they're men.

Now you are just generalising based on the moronic minority that has
no understanding of the responsibilities of owning an animal.

Glad you agree that morons are drawn to mutt ownership.

I know a lot of responsible dog owners, a couple of indifferent ones
but not any moronic ones. I don't know any cat owners that keep their
pet on their own property though.

snip couple of examples of idiots with dogs.

He was typical of doglovers. I've had many confrontations with them
mostly over dogs intruding into my property when let off the lead. One
golden retriever ran at my cat. I had a shovel handy and threw it at
the mutt. It hit but not hard. The dog ran over beside its owner - an
alpha male with a shaved head astride a bike. I pushed him very hard
and he fell on top of the mutt. This was sufficient punishment for
both.

This suggests that you are being more aggressive / alpha male-ish than
the dog owner.

No - I just beat this dickhead at his own game - I dont accept his code.

I get more cats in my yard than dogs by a ratio of
about 20:1. Most dog owners keep their animals on a leash when they're
walking.

I sense you're embellishing here old timer.

At my weekender at Pt Lonsdale another golden retriever ran onto my
property followed closely by its owner - this time an alpha male gone
to seed - he had it all - the shaved head, fat that he thought was
muscle,
arrogant disposition

Not the only one by the sounds of it.

I'm the quiet type.

Was it a good ****?

* Dead birds. We had a bird feeder for some of the native birds in the
area, but the neighbour's cats stopped this fairly effectively.

Probably another useless old timer with too much time on his hands.

* Cat urine on the bonnet of our car, effectively ruining the
paintwork.

That'll teach you to obssess over your ****ing car.
* Scratches down the bonnet of another car from a cat sliding off it.

Ditto
* One person I know gets complaints from her neighbour that her dogs
are barking. The reason - the neighbour's cat intruding into the dog's
yard...

Aw gee - sounds like an old haridan that needs a good dicking.

Tell me - do you keep in shape old timer?

Old 10-09-2003, 10:44 PM
SG1

I have found a .22 a very good deterrent, seems to stop them dead in thier
tracks so to speak. They can be revived with a healthy meal of mince and
snail bait (equal proportions). Remember to shoot nine times though, can't
have one of the other eight lives sneaking through.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Nicholas Steel

"Leanne" wrote in message ...
I love my dog but I dont like cats,

Well, as Tony Soprano would put it: "Ya dont say"

I would be inclined to resent your
inferences but I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion... but just
for the record I am not a bloke and I dont like beer....

Bet the hubby does though eh sweetheart?

nor am I
particularly partial to being pigeon holed.

Like I really care for your drab life.

Old 13-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Nicholas Steel

"SG1" wrote in message ...
I have found a .22 a very good deterrent, seems to stop them dead in thier
tracks so to speak. They can be revived with a healthy meal of mince and
snail bait (equal proportions). Remember to shoot nine times though, can't
have one of the other eight lives sneaking through.

Got to be careful that the owner doesnt take umbrage. I take an
extreme version of Napoleonic law re wrongs committed against my cat -
you know - guilty until proven innocent.

Old 21-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Nicholas Steel

"SG1" wrote in message ...
No probs with umbrage as long as the cat is dead. My yard, your cat, your
dead cat.
Jim

And my haymaker to your nose.