Old 31-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

Craig,

There is probably more than one of us with dandelion bonsai (or accent
plants, as the case may be), but I have had the same one in a pot for nine
years. It is in a little 3" round pot, and it requires root pruning every
year, as it fills the pot with roots to the extent that water penetration is
a problem towards the end of each year.

It blooms faithfully each spring, and I always take it to whatever little
shows and demos that we have going on in the spring. It never fails to
elicit comments from the viewers, which range from humorous to hostile. It
has even inspired at least one member of a local garden club to pot one up
for herself. I would encourage you to pot one up too.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Anita tells me that someone on the list grew a bonsai dandelion and kept

it alive in a pot for several years. If that person is still on the list,
I'd love to hear more. I'm thinking of doing that this spring. After all,
it is a perennial.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Roger Snipes wrote:

[...]

Hey, that's all the encouragement I need. I'll be hunting for a fat one in the
spring!
Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 31-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

I'll be holding a DIY dandelion bonsai sale next spring.

Our dandelions are left in the ground for maximum vigor and health, so
make sure you bring a small hand trowel. (Trowels are available for
rent for a modest fee)

Special deals for mass quantity purchases.

Call for appointment, this deal is too good to pass up.

Seriously... when you say bonsai dandelion, what do you mean.... just
a potted plant? do you train the stem? leaf reduction? Any pictures?

--
be safe.
flip

Old 31-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Kitsune Miko

In one of John Naka's books he discusses what to do
with dandelions as bonsai.

I had on for a number of years. Dug an established
plant, with long root. Coiled root in pot, the
following year(s) I started exposing the root until
quite a bit was exposed. The twisting was part of the
display. You have to be careful not to expose root
with too much taper or the thing will fall over. With
trimming, you can get multiple heads. Mine bit the
dust when the sprinkling system went bad.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Dormancy Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 12 03-01-2004 05:22 PM
[IBC] Ficus benjamina+Serissa dormancy Dimitrios Kalderis Bonsai 5 13-11-2003 11:02 PM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
[IBC] **** [IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-10-2003 10:02 PM
[IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai Mark Hill Bonsai 18 30-10-2003 02:12 PM