Old 29-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Bonsai Techniques ?

Hi all;

My always considerate wife purchased signed "mint" copies of John Naka's
Bonsai Techniques 1 & 2 for Christmas presents for me. I've already devoured
#1 and am headed into #2.
What an amazing source of information condensed into so few pages !!

Question is .... are there other volumes ?

TIA

Mark Hill - Harrisburg, PA - Zone 6

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Carl L Rosner

Hi Mark:
To the best of my knowledge there are only two.... If you've gone
through volumne one already, I suspect, you had better get out your
hi-lighter and go through it again!!!! It took me three months to read
through the first book!

Tell your wife, she couldn't have given you a better set of books on
Bonsai!!! The real bible of Bonsai! IMHO

Congratulations,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

#1 and am headed into #2.

Old 29-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Mark. You write,
My always considerate wife purchased signed "mint" copies of
John Naka's Bonsai Techniques 1 & 2 for Christmas presents
for me.

If your wife is not a bonsai enthusiast herself, she must be psychic, Mark.
These are undoubtedly among the finest books published on bonsai & not so
easily obtained as many others-- they aren't found on popular bookstore
shelves. What amazes is that after reading carefully, you can re-open them
and almost always be awed again at what the author shares. They keep on
giving... :-)

There is not a Bonsai Techniques III (drats!), but a sketchbook of John's
designs for workshop material is to be published/distributed in 2004
(hopefully EARLY in 2004!). The National Bonsai Foundation hoped to get it
out in 2003, but the publication design editor (Lia Marta) is still tweaking
the product. The National Bonsai Foundation will publish & distribute it
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/forsale.htm. Many IBCers are among the
contributors.

John co-authored a book on Satsuki bonsai that is out-of-print & difficult
to obtain. His book of witty sayings (_Even Monkeys Fall Out of Trees_) has
been distributed by Nina Ragle, and I think you can find it.

Congratulations, Mark, on your very special gifts.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

John Naka's book azaleas recently sold on E-Bay for $150.
Billy

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Mark Hill

Thanks Carl and Chris.

You're both absolutely correct.
Mr. Naka's books are certainly worth reading, over and over and over again!

My wife knows very little about bonsai..... other than it's consumed a great
deal of my time over the past year.
She called Jim Doyle prior to Christmas and asked him for the best gifts for
a budding newbie.
In addition to a shiny new turn-table, Jim suggested both of Mr. Naka's
books.
I'll have to thank Jim the next time I'm at his shop.

I visited the NBF site, and look forward to Mr. Naka's collection of
drawings.
After admiring the sketches contained in BT 1 & 2, I'm convinced Mr. Naka's
artwork alone is worth collecting.

Chris .... Thanks for the book recommendations. I just purchased a new
(signed) original edition of Ragle/Naka's book. Now if I can only find
Naka's Satsuki book, my day would be complete !!

Mark - (with an ever increasing library !)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-12-2003, 07:02 PM
David J. Bockman

I recently aquired an interesting oddity:

A Portfolio of Bonsai Profiles, by John Yoshio Naka

screw-binders, brown card cover with flaps. His sketches of participants'
creations in workshops he ran in Sydney in 1975. Limited and numbered
editions of 500.

I've never seen it before or since, but I do love owning it!

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

[IBC] Bonsai Techniques jklewis Bonsai 2 31-10-2004 01:38 AM
[IBC] Bonsai Techniques jklewis Bonsai 0 31-10-2004 12:07 AM
[IBC] FS: Bonsai Techniques For Satsuki David J. Bockman Bonsai 4 26-01-2004 12:01 PM
[IBC] techniques of aerial roots ficus Hung Le Bonsai 8 09-12-2003 06:42 PM
[IBC] About Masters Techniques for Japanese White and Black Pine Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 10-07-2003 12:20 PM