Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Warning rec.gardens subject headers are being changed.

I have noticed that spammers are changing the newsgroup subject headers.

"Brrrr..."
was changed to
"If I can make $5,000+ Every Month for My Opinions, So Can YOU!"

and

" Freeze, water before or don't water before?"
was changed to
"Non Woven Fabrics for Insulation"

If you are like me one tends to mark their subject headers to all read.
The next time you look for the subject header "###", you think there
are no responses. Therefore ending the thread to the topic, no responses.

I have found this to be the case with many of the postings here on
rec.gardens newsgroup. In the past spammers seemed to always create a
new header, not change old ones.

If you have posted a new posting, others may not know of it because a
spammer has changed the subject header thread.

I find this very troublesome!
I will repost this if a spammer changes my subject header.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L. wrote:
[...]

It is far more likely that your news reader or server are corrupted in some
way. I have checked on two major servers (Easynews and AT&T) using two
different readers and see nothing out of the ordinary with the threads you
named.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGaw View Post
Dan L. wrote:
[...]

I'm in the UK and look on rec.gardens via a newsgroup and via Gardenbanter. I have to say, it's the Wild West of forums. All sorts of stuff (including porn) pops up from time to time and the ads are a pain in the arse. At present I'd just like Amy Zhou, who is all over everywhere like a rash, to **** off back into a hole somewhere.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
[...]

I believe you are correct. I have recently change to motzarella.org from
comcast/giganews. When I looked at the full threads from motzarella the
ends of many threads end with a spam heading. After the spam heading
their are no longer any postings from that thread. So maybe I am missing
postings that are found on other servers?

Come to think of it, I never did see this problem from Comcast/Giganews.
So one gets what he pays for. Time to look at other servers.

So THANK YOU John for pointing out the error of my ways.

Still, This posting might be useful for others using Motzarella.
If others using Motzarella does not have this problem, my newsreader
maybe incompatible with Motzarella.

Thanks Again ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
[...]

Back Again ....

It was indeed my newsreader that was corrupt. I will fix it.

SORRY about the posting. I of all people should have done greater
diagnosing. So please ignore this header. I have a feeling many ignore
my postings anyway, they are the smart ones

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

I have a feeling many ignore my postings anyway, they are the
smart ones

Uh, eh?

Hey, I represent that remark!

Just you wait until we get Bungadora on the line. She's from Calgary.
You could of told her how tough you've got it, but I think you've gone
and poisoned the hole now.

Picked my green tomatoes today and set them out in front of windows.
For some reason my "Stevia rebaudiana - Bertoni" is in full bloom. It
should have done that in June or July. It's acting as if it were at
home! Anyone have any experience with these things. The Sun is below the
tree line, and the temp went to 29 F last night (Yes, I know it's unfair
but there you have it. I'f it makes you feel better, we are predicted to
have rain from the 19th until Christmas. Oh, there you go again :O) In
any event, Mom Nature is trying to kill my little buddy. As a result, my
little buddy has become a house plant by night.

I have no hopes of over wintering it (not enough Sun). I just want to
get some seed from it. Does anybody out there have an idea (relating to
the above problem)?
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L. wrote:

Back Again ....

It was indeed my newsreader that was corrupt. I will fix it.

SORRY about the posting. I of all people should have done greater
diagnosing. So please ignore this header. I have a feeling many ignore
my postings anyway, they are the smart ones

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Dan,

It might be worthwhile to others to say (if you can find out) what
happened to your newsreader.

Some newsreaders are not very safe to use any longer on the net because
they have security holes that aren't being patched (and this is a
constant battle with hackers and malware spammers).

One that I can highly recommend is the Thunderbird (make sure that you
get the latest version) mail/newsreader package. The companion browser
to use with it is Firefox (version 3). Firefox provides better security
than Microsoft's Internet Explorer. No matter which mail/newsreader and
browser you use make sure that you have a good virus/security package
and keep it up to date.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill R wrote:

Dan L. wrote:

[...]

It was not the NewsReader, it was me. During my change over from comcast
to Motzarrel, I played around with several ID's to make sure I would
like the service. I did not rebuild the Full-Group list. After
rebuilding the list and got rid of the extra ID's. Things turned out ok.
I am using a Mac with NewsWatcher. The corruption I believe was my
stupidity.

Another factor was (still is) a bad tooth infection and Vicodin's and
Antibiotic's also played a part. Monday is drill baby drill.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

It was not the NewsReader, it was me. During my change over from comcast
to Motzarrel, I played around with several ID's to make sure I would
like the service. I did not rebuild the Full-Group list. After
rebuilding the list and got rid of the extra ID's. Things turned out ok.
I am using a Mac with NewsWatcher. The corruption I believe was my
stupidity.

Another factor was (still is) a bad tooth infection and Vicodin's and
Antibiotic's also played a part. Monday is drill baby drill.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reminds me of the phrase. ³The problem was the loose nut in front of
the device.³

A few years ago in a time far away I went to work at about 11:30 Pm.
I was to run a bank of computers hooked up to 16 chromatographs. Well
after 2 cups of machine junk coffee I ventured out to find about six of
my peers trying to get a machine up. Well we injected stds and stds and
called a computer guy to come in. This is a small amount of material
that is injected and different components come off at different times
and temps. Anyway after about 2 hours someone opened up this gloried
device to find that the coil had been removed. All injection went into
the oven. We spoke of this not but it was a personal heads up for me.
Go fundamental first.

Bill who canıt imagine a house without houseplants. But then there
are allergies. BTW you can eat some of them too. Kiffer Lime.....

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 12-12-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

[...]

I would like house plants. My problem with them in the winter is bugs.
After a few days I start seeing small nat like creatures everywhere. In
the summer I do bring in cuttings from my roses and flowers. I rarely
have bug problems from cuttings. In the winter full potted plants always
beings in the bugs. Maybe someday I will try again, If I find away to
keep the bug at bay.

Is there a "Frontline (Bug stuff for dogs)" for Plants?

I was going to sign up for a Master Gardeners class in January, but
missed the deadline due the sever toothache. I guess thats life.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 13-12-2008, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:34:42 -0500, "Dan L."
wrote:

[...]

Have not seen what you describe. Mt thread headers are fine. I
still have active kill filters, so maybe they are doing the job.