Old 13-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Marty

More significant than different colored flowers on a plant is the bi-color
appearence on each flower in many Satsukis.
Marty
Old 13-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Aug 2004 at 14:17, Alan Walker wrote:

Jim: Cultural and bonsai information weren't mentioned in the
original question. The Galle book (List Price: $79.95 Amazon
Price: $54.37) is a great resource, but doesn't have but a
fraction of the color photos of individual cultivars that the
Satsuki Dictionary displays in the most user friendly way
possible. (I take it that you haven't viewed the Satsuki
Dictionary?)

Yeah, I have; one of our club members has it. It's pretty, but since
I'll never see or have the opportunity to see perhaps 1,123 of the
cultivars covered (and neither will most Japanese growers), it's
still ridiculously expensive, and has no other useful info in it that
I could see.

I have Galle's book, which is why I recommended it. (I also
suggested that for someone who wants to ID ONE plant, the library
would be a better source. Galle's book is quite likely to have a
cultivar available in the USA -- especially one that has been [as the
original mssg said] in the ground for a number of years.) And IT has
information in it that is helpful in actually GROWING azaleas.

If cheap is your objective, then I recommend Great
American Azaleas: A Guide to the Finest Azalea Varieties by Jim
Darden. (c) 1985. Published by The Greenhouse Press, 1239 Sunset
Ave., Clinton, NC 28328. Phone 919-592-3725. Like Fred Galle's
book, it has good organizational logic. It also has a lot of
color photos for its size (96 pp.). Cost (at least when I bought
it) was only $8.95.

I'll take a look, but _I_ probably don't need another azalea book.

For cultural and bonsai information, I recommend
Alexander Kennedy's books.

I have 2 of his books. They're OK -- if a bit "English" requiring
considerable extrapolation for Florida growing.

There is also Bonsai Techniques for
Satsuki by Naka, Ota, & Rokkaku, but it is long out of print and
fetches very high prices as a rare book.

$250, last one I saw. I passed.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its
living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should
have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 13-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Aug 2004 at 20:22, kevin bailey wrote:

Some Satsuki have many different flower forms on the same plant but many
more do not. The name Satsuki means fifth moon or fifth month in
Japanese. Most do flower in May but I have one variety (Karenko) that
started then and is still in flower now.

Their bloom time depends largely upon where they are grown. By May
around here, they've about quit blooming.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 14-08-2004, 02:36 AM

Didn't mean to get you all bickering. I'm familiar with Satsuki
somewhat, I have maybe 20 plants in 12-14 varieties. Almost all of
mine bloom in June here. I have the Kennedy book, and would consider
the ElDorado cd if I could actually see one first, since this is
something that interests me. I'll try to find a copy of the Galle book
to look at. As I said, I'm sure this is something that was developed
for the domestic nursery trade here in the U.S. I can't imagine that
Mom would have ever found anything more 'exotic' than that. There are
a few buds that may open. If so, I'll try to get some pictures.
Thanks again,
Lauren

P.S. Whoever it was that said they had the 'Karenko', I'd love to get
a start if possible! Or find out where I could buy one. Thanks.

On 13 Aug 2004 02:06:04 -0700, (Billy M. Rhodes)
wrote:

Try this site.
They have some decent photos.

http://www.tytyga.com

or this list of nurseries with web sites.

http://www.azaleachapter.com/growers.htm

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 14-08-2004, 08:42 AM
kevin bailey

It was me with Karenko and it is a beauty. Unfortunately I'm in Wales/UK
and with the sudden oak death problem I don't think international trades
would be allowed or sensible. Sorry. You could try Fred and Dolly at El
Dorado as a start.

Don't worry about 'bickering', it's not, that's the way this list
rumbles along. Without debate there would be little point :-) In my
view, the more post a topic gets, the better (usually). Far more info is
likely to be turned up. Eg. My interest in Galle's book has been piqued
as a result of your question.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Old 14-08-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks Kevin. I couldn't remember who said they had it when I was
writing my last post. Certainly don't expect you to send it from
Wales. I've seen the Galle book several years ago and looked through
it. It's large, 600-700 pages it seems.
Take care,
Lauren

Old 14-08-2004, 11:38 PM
JRA BONSAI

Lauren,

I propagate a few satsukis. If memory serves, I have a small number of
karenko. Give me a call or e-mail and I'll check into it for you.

Julian Adams
Adams' Bonsai
Lynchburg, VA

h 434-384-7951

Old 14-08-2004, 11:38 PM
JRA BONSAI

Lauren,

I propagate a few satsukis. If memory serves, I have a small number of
karenko. Give me a call or e-mail and I'll check into it for you.

Julian Adams
Adams' Bonsai
Lynchburg, VA

h 434-384-7951

need help with azalea I.D. [email protected] Bonsai 5 13-08-2004 08:50 PM
need help with azalea I.D. [email protected] Bonsai 0 13-08-2004 04:32 AM
[IBC] Dr Wang Azalea Hung Le Bonsai 0 18-12-2003 07:12 AM
[IBC] azalea Art Krummel Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 05:51 PM
[IBC] azalea basics Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 05:26 AM