Old 14-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Marty, I don't do much propagation so your description of hardwood cutting
treatment confuses me.

If you bundle 6-8 together, you'd get a multi-stem plant unless you re-plant
individually in the spring. Is re-planting the proper procedure? If so,
what signal do you use for timing, bud break of the parent plant? Have you
tried individual hardwood cuttings so as to avoid the re-planting or
multi-stem configuration? TIA - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

From: "Iris Cohen"

The other night, at Bill's auction, I bought a 3-gallon 'Arakawa' maple.
It
needs major pruning & styling. One expert said to work on deciduous trees
in
the winter when the leaves are off so you can see what you are doing.
However,
since it is not a common variety, I wanted to save the cuttings for my
club.
Bill said the best time to take cuttings is in June. Any way I can
compromise?
Would it be possible to prune the tree in February or March, when the sap
starts running, and root the cuttings under lights or in a greenhouse?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 14-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Marty Haber

The cuttings are just "sticks" with little or no branching. When you remove
them from the ground at springtime, you unbundle them and plant them in a
growing tray or individual pots. The signal to remove them from the ground
is to watch for swelling of the buds. Don't depend upon bud break of the
mother plant, since it is well rooted and probably much earlier than the
cuttings. I have never planted hardwood cuttings individually because I
consider it uneconomical to do so. With every bundle of cuttings, you must
expect that at least 25% won't make it. Probably more. If I end up with
50% live cuttings, I feel that I've done well.
If you're thinking about rooting an individual branch, you'd be better off
air layering rather than treating it as a hardwood cutting.
Marty

Old 14-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Jay

Marty's method of rooting cuttings through the winter is typical of hardy
northern species and their growing conditions. It might work OK with some few
species that go totally dormant over winter such as Crape Myrtle or Maple, but
because of our warmer conditions the process doesn't work as well due to rot.
Also in most cases the plants bundled and "heeled in" will not develop much if
any root, but they do develop a callus that allows the to root quickly once
spring comes.

Billy

In a message dated 9/14/2004 10:00:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Marty, I don't do much propagation so your description of hardwood cutting
treatment confuses me.

If you bundle 6-8 together, you'd get a multi-stem plant unless you
re-plant
individually in the spring. Is re-planting the proper procedure? If so,
what signal do you use for timing, bud break of the parent plant? Have
you
tried individual hardwood cuttings so as to avoid the re-planting or
multi-stem configuration? TIA - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Timing Dilemma Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 13-09-2004 08:05 PM
Timing Dilemma Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 13-09-2004 01:59 PM
[IBC] Timing for pruning Ficus Retusa Bill Neff Bonsai 1 19-08-2003 02:04 AM
[IBC] Air Layering Timing/Technique Jim S Bonsai 7 21-05-2003 06:56 AM
[IBC] Bald Cypress chop timing audgen Bonsai 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM