Old 20-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Henrik Gistvall

Alan Said it. Some fungus work for different type of trees others only
for one species. I think this is the case with Larix for example. Also.
I was in contact with the swedish agricultural university scince I had
found som fungus im my pots. There where different kindes but all where
just species that brake down dead organic material, not one of them
where mychorizza. The funny thing is I have seen this brown mushroom in
several articles regarding mychorizza. Just seeing mycel in a pot
dosen´t mean you have mychorizza in symbiosis with the tree. The only
way to determen this is to check te root tips. They should be fat and
divided several root tips.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Alan Walker wrote:

I didn't order the mycorrhizal Roots product, since I'm
pretty sure that mycorrhiza from one species root system is not
very helpful to another species.
I had excellent results with the original Roots product.
I hope what I ordered is the same thing. The early version
brought a profusion of roots to a tree I had grown for several
years and had still been very unsturdy in the pot. I notice they
are hiding their MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), so I may be
getting a "new and improved" version. I think Nina mentioned a
while back that she though the main ingredient was humic acid. I
know what I ordered is different in form, since the earlier
version was liquid and this is available only in dry form. We'll
see if it makes a difference.
Alan Walker

Old 21-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Juniper came up to disussion. This is a specis where mychorizza is not
really figured out. Some experts in this field are not even clear on if
all junipers have mychorizza or if they do how it functions.

Henrik Gistvall , Uppsala, Sweden

Michael Persiano wrote:

In a message dated 11/20/2004 5:23:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
The only
way to determen this is to check te root tips. They should be fat and
divided several root tips.
Henrik:

This is far from black and white with respect to "do's" and "dont's." For
example, the mycorrhiza present in Junipers is attached inside the vascular
tissue of the root--not on the outside.

As I mentioned, the Roots Mycorrhizal Innoculant has been engineered to
accommodate most trees and plants.

I posted this information to the group because I am endlessly contacted about
this stuff. I suggest that the adventurous give this stuff a try. I have
been amazed at the visible benefits of using the Roots products.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

Old 27-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Alan Walker

I ordered from Youkou after Michael posted this notice
below. Since most of us hadn't ever heard of Youkou Bonsai prior
to this, there was some anxiety expressed. Keith Smith identified
himself as the proprietor of Youkou which is based in Vanceboro,
NC.

At Keith's behest I want to inform you all that my order
was filled promptly and accurately. Keith even caught an error on
shipping and sent a refund for the overcharge. The program had
charged shipping fees for each of the two items ordered, and it
turned out that they could both be shipped for the same price as
one. The refund was received by separate mailing the same day as
the order.
So, I consider this a good bonsai shopping experience.
Alan Walker

Many of you have expressed interest as well as difficulty in
acquiring Roots products. Those who are interested can acquire
the Roots family of products at http://www.youkoubonsai.com/.

You should also be able to acquire the products in the near
future from Stone Lantern.
Cordially,
Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob