Old 29-03-2005, 12:13 PM
gary

Default Alder shedding leaves!

Hi all
I have an Alder bonsai & i have a prob with it!
On the instruction sheet i got when purchasing it, it said to soak for 10
minutes up to the surface roots every time the soil feels dry & mist both
morning & night!
I do this & i sprinkle the feed on monthly!. It is by a well lit window,
although it is nearly always open a touch!
The leaves are falling off & it feels rather dry & wispy! can anyone help!
Thanks
Gary

Old 29-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi all
I have an Alder bonsai & i have a prob with it!
On the instruction sheet i got when purchasing it, it said to soak for 10
minutes up to the surface roots every time the soil feels dry & mist both
morning & night!
I do this & i sprinkle the feed on monthly!. It is by a well lit window,
although it is nearly always open a touch!
The leaves are falling off & it feels rather dry & wispy! can anyone help!
Thanks
Gary

The sheet also should have said that Alnus (alder) are outdoor
trees and will not survive inside.

How long have you had the tree?

Assuming it still isn't below zero (F) at night where you live,
put the tree outside in the sun, but a protected (wind) area.
Don't water until the soil feels dry to the touch -- a tree
without leaves needs very little water.

Hope.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Michael Persiano

Gary:

Have you been watering it automatically everyday? If so, it is possible that the tree has acquired root rot disease. However, the Alder generally does well in stagnant water in nature. If the branches are brittle and there is no live tissue beneath the surface of the bark, it could be a goner. Is the tree planted in fast-draining soil?

If this is one of your first trees, do not fret. We all made (and continue to make) mistakes in this art. The goal is to learn from our errors.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 29-03-2005, 05:22 PM
gary

Cheers
The tree is next to an open window & it is around 5c overnight!,
it gets sun afternoon & more or less has the conditions you say, by having
light & the open window protects it from wind!
Could i have been overwatering it, the soil does feel dry quite often!

****

Old 29-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Jim Lewis

Cheers
The tree is next to an open window & it is around 5c overnight!,
it gets sun afternoon & more or less has the conditions you say, by having
light & the open window protects it from wind!
Could i have been overwatering it, the soil does feel dry quite often!

It's the "less" in more or less that is the problem. Indoor air
just is NOT suitable for outdoor trees.

At 5 degrees C the alder should be outdoors 24 hours a day!

But yes you could be overwatering. In nature, alders don't mind
wet feet, but trees in pots are different than trees in the
ground.

Only water when the soil an inch down feels dry.

And I just remembered (I think) that you bought this tree as a
bonsai. If there happen to be rocks covering the soil, you
might consider removing them. Absolutely remove them if they
appear to be glued onto the top of the soil.

Replace the rocks with soil.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 01-04-2005, 08:38 PM
gary

Hi
There isn't an inch of soil, there's no pebbles on top, but a nice hum of
moss around the trunk!, the leaves are still shedding, it's a lovely tree,
don't want it to die!, i put it in water up to the trunk for 10 mins every
week or 10 days!misting the foliage morn & night, i've changed it's place as
was drafty, now in another room, where's the best place to keep it!,
difficult here, as central heating provident!
Cheers
Gaz

Old 01-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Michael Persiano

Gary:

A bonsai must be planted in bonsai soil. This is generally a fast-draining mix of turface, bark, coarse sand, and haydite.

You will need to carefully remove the moss and work soil into the roots with a chopstick. I would suggest that you acquire a good text on bonsai care and maintenance. Harry Tomlinson has a couple of good books.

The Adler will require normal temperature changes to remain healthy. The tree will need to be outside in the spring, summer and fall and placed under suitable protection in the winter. Again, here is where a good text is invaluable.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 01-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi
There isn't an inch of soil,

Say What!? How large is this tree? Sounds to me like you need
to remove it from whatever it is in and put it (temporarily
until next spring) into a "normal" nursery (plastic or terra
cotta) pot.

there's no pebbles on top, but a nice hum of
moss around the trunk!,

Moss ON the trunk, indicates that it all may be too wet!

the leaves are still shedding, it's a lovely tree,
don't want it to die!, i put it in water up to the trunk for 10 mins every
week or 10 days!misting the foliage morn & night, i've changed it's place as
was drafty, now in another room, where's the best place to keep it!,
difficult here, as central heating provident!

As I think I said before, it will NOT survive indoors, and if
you can't get it outside into FRESH air it will die. There's no
ifs, ands or buts about it.

It should be watered when the soil feels dry.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 02-04-2005, 10:45 AM
gary

It's in a 6"x4" Japanese style pot, with 2" of soil, the height of the tree
is 11", the base of the trunk rises above the level of the soil with moss
around the base of the trunk. I'm only going on what someone said that it's
an Alder & the feed, do i crumble it on & if so how much?
Thanks