Old 18-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Steven Wachs

Default [IBC] Hawthorn Bonsai

i had problems with Hawthorn. I have Junipers and Crab Apple. I had a few
Hawtorn in training ,but it developed this odd growth which I think was rust.
Between these and the crab apples they were reeking havoc on my Junipers.
Eventually I had to let the hawthorns die off. I was cutting more than it was
lending to it's appeal
what do you spray on your trees to control rust.

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-06-2005, 02:24 PM

In a message dated 6/18/05 9:16:48 AM, STEVEW70146 writes:
i had problems with Hawthorn. I have Junipers and Crab Apple. I had a few
Hawthorn in training, but it developed this odd growth which I think was rust.

Rust in the Rosaceae is orange spots on the leaves. Odd growths are usually
galls.

Between these and the crab apples they were wreaking havoc on my Junipers.

It is usually the other way around.

Eventually I had to let the hawthorns die off. I was cutting more than it
was lending to its appeal
*what do you spray on your trees to control rust.

Orthenex.

Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Kitsune Miko

I have several small hawthorn along with my junipers
and crab apples with out problems so far. I sold the
nice one over the winter holidaze to make room and get
cash. It was a nice one from Carl Young. It bloomed
several times but not with any consistancy.

I am able to make cuttings off of crimson cloud (or is
it Paul's Scarlet I don't remember) and am workng them
into shohin. I made cuttings from blooming branches,
which continue to bloom. It takes me about three
years to get roots, but the cuttings bloom each year
in the process. I have some beautifully shaped root
cutting shohin starts, but have little hope of them
ever blooming.

Kits

--- Steven Wachs wrote:

i had problems with Hawthorn. I have Junipers and
Crab Apple. I had a few
Hawtorn in training ,but it developed this odd
growth which I think was rust.
Between these and the crab apples they were reeking
havoc on my Junipers.
Eventually I had to let the hawthorns die off. I was
cutting more than it was
lending to it's appeal
what do you spray on your trees to control rust.

SteveW

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 18-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Steve wachs

it is a seesaw battle between the Crab Apples and the Junipers. I try to keep them separated. But you know how trees are they just have to mingle. It ook on a different appearance with the Hawthorns. The bark swelled and took on witches broom appearance

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 18-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Jim Lewis

Steve wachs wrote:
it is a seesaw battle between the Crab Apples and the
Junipers. I try to keep them separated. But you know how
trees are they just have to mingle. It ook on a
different appearance with the Hawthorns. The bark swelled
and took on witches broom appearance

SteveW Long Island NY

It is unlikely that that was a rust that swelled the bark or
caused the witches' broom.

Hawthorn (Crataegus) are not involved in ceder apple rust.
They ARE susceptible to quince rust (Gymnosporangium sp.)
but rusts affect leaves, not stems, and don't do witches'
brooms.

BTW, the Ortho Home Gardener's Problem Solver lists J.
chinensis 'Foemina' and 'Keteleeri' and var. sargentii as
"resistant" to cedar apple rust. J. scopularum and
varieties are "particularly susceptible" to cedar apple rust.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 18-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Steve wachs

The hawthorns deveoped a nasty looking growth on the bark. It must have been contagious , becuase it affected all the hawthorns

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 19-06-2005, 12:03 AM

In a message dated 6/18/05 3:33:54 PM, SteveWachs writes:
it is a seesaw battle between the Crab Apples and the Junipers. I try to
keep them separated.

I believe the necessary distance is 250 or 500 feet. You would have to ask an
arborist.

It*took on a different appearance with the Hawthorns. The bark swelled and
took on witch's broom appearance*

I don't think that is cedar-hawthorn rust, which shows up as typical orange
spots on the hawthorn. It is more likely a bacterial or virus infection. What
kind of hawthorn was it? The English hawthorns, C. xmedia, do not seem to be
that prone to our native diseases. There is something that spoils the fruit,
possibly a mite, so I spray a few times over the summer with Orthenex, which
contains a fungicide as well as insecticide. It is very effective in preserving
the fruit, preventing rust, and also dealing with elm leaf miners on elm bonsai.
Here in Zone 5, people occasionally plant 'Paul's Scarlet' or 'Punicea,'
which are quite hardy. They do not seem to be bothered by anything except the
fruit blight. Old crabapple varieties are much worse off.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Steve wachs

I do not rememeber the species. Is martha Washington possible name?

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 19-06-2005, 12:29 AM

In a message dated 6/18/05 7:20:28 PM, SteveWachs writes:
I do not remember the species. Is martha Washington possible name?*

Leave Martha out of it. You are thinking of Washington hawthorn, Crataegus
phaenopyrum. It is a native American species, nice for landscaping and bonsai
but very disease prone.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Nina

Steven Wachs wrote:
i had problems with Hawthorn. I have Junipers and Crab Apple. I had a few
Hawtorn in training ,but it developed this odd growth which I think was rust.

Probably quince rust; it "wreaked havoc" on my amelanchier bonsai,
causing gall-like swellings. See
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/fa...ce%20Rusts.asp

Old 19-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Steve wachs

Mealy bugs are insects and the galls are one of the symptoms of rust which is a fungus. I am not sure what you are asking

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 20-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Kitsune Miko

I have galls or bulb like growth on my crabs and
hawthorns. I was told they were caused by mealy bugs.
You can see the bugs in their cottony mass on stems
and roots (if I don't catch it quick enough)

Kits

Old 20-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Steve wachs

I think you have 2 different problems there. mealy bugs would need a
different treatment than a rust problem , what I am getting from these threads.

SteveW
Long Island NY