Old 08-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora) tips?

Hi, Shireen:

Jaboticaba (also spelled Jabotacaba) is a wonderful plant for indoors. It
can tolerate surprisingly low light levels - If you have a South window that
gets too hot, just move it across the room! I fyou keep it in the window,
don't forget to turn it so that all sides get equal light.

The only print article I know of is in the BCI magazine, Bonsai May/June
1993 (about 3 pages)

The issue can be ordered at

http://www.bonsai-bci.com/backsale/backsale.html

There is also a species guide at:

http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/jaboticaba.html

In the summer, it will be happier out of doors in light shade.

Where are you located?

Bart
Old 10-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Joe St. Lawrence

Does anyone have experience with this
plant as an indoor bonsai?
thanks!
shireen

This is no contest my favourite species for indoor. The plants almost become
bonsai by themselves. I have kept mine in a sunroom during the spring-fall
period and in the basement under halide or fluorescent through the winter.
They have NEVER had any pest problems, never complained about humidity or
temperature. In short they are unlike any other tree I've tried to keep in
the house (better that figs, even, since they are not invaded by armies of
scale that threaten to turn my grow table into a sticky blob). I have also
kept them through the winter on a cool windowsill with no problem. They tend
to go semi-dormant through the early winter and can handle a cool/low light
during this time. Mine are all starting active growth right now, and benefit
from the more intense light of the metal halide (it keeps the leaves and
internodes smaller and gives the new leaves a beautiful red tint) lower
light gives sappier growth and larger, green only, leaves. A south window
should be perfect provided the window is open for air flow during hot
weather. (As a point of interest, I met a Brazilian fellow at a conference a
year ago who told me the name is pronounced "Ja-bo-CHI-caba" -- I thought it
would be "Ya-bo-something" by the spelling.)

-Joe
Ottawa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Bart Thomas

Hi, Joe.

Interesting post. I too love the jaboticaba. I am interested in the
pronunciation.

If you are intested I have posted some pictures in the Test Forum of Jim
Moody's Jabo bearing fruit in his garden. The fruit are about the size of a
colossal olive and very tasty.

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...nsaiclub_testf
orum&key=1041715409&first=1047181628&last=10403665 66

Old 10-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Shireen Gonzaga

Dear Bart and Joe,

thanks very much for your terrific responses.
It's pretty exciting to hear that I have such
a promising pre-bonsai plant. I first saw it
at a local nursery in the fruiting tree section,
and didn't know what it was (the plant wasn't
labeled). But something about it screamed
"bonsai!" to me, so I snatched it.

Bart asked:
Where are you located?

Baltimore, MD. But I live in an apartment so
I cannot plant outdoor bonsai. It's disappointing,
but, hey, there are a lot of indoor bonsai to
keep me happy. I'm trying to get a friend with
a house interested in bonsai so we can try some
of the more traditional outdoor bonsai. (Have I
been infected or what?!)

Again, thanks a bunch! The generous advice and
support of the people on this group makes
rec.arts.bonsai an internet treasure. :-)

cheers,
shireen

Old 11-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Bart Thomas

Shireen:

As you can see from the pix, Jaboticabas are pretty shrubby, outside of
bonsai. Flowering of bonsai jabos is rare, and fruiting rarer, but sometimes
you can find a jam made from the fruit in Florida, and easily in Brazil. The
fruit is said not to travel well, so I wouldn't even expect to find it in
ethnic groceries.

There is also a picture of one of Solita Rosades jabos in my report on their
exhibit at the Philly Flower show in the Galleries:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...nsaiclub_ibcga
llery&key=1047063595&first=1047338848&last=1046777 493

As bonsai, Jabos usually are either tall and slim, or shorter and spreading,
like Soli's.

Regards,

Bart

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++