Old 24-08-2005, 06:32 AM

Default More than one squash at a time?

Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example, it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

Bill

Old 24-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Nicole H

yes, the plant can support more than one. if you pick often, more will be
produced..... make sure to feed the plants... use a fertilizer w/a high
middle number... pick off any bad pieces so the plant isn't putting any
energy into it.... same with that big zucchini... big zukes are worthless
anyways...

Old 24-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Dwayne

Yes. That is why everyone around here has to lock their cars from the end
of July through the first of November. This is my cousins first year of
growing them and she planted a whole row. She is putting them in the trash
now, since everyone is locking their cars.

Dwayne

Old 24-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Sue

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:32:14 GMT, wrote:

Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example, it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

I have that rotting problem, too. Sigh.
Sue

Bill

Old 24-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Kathy

wrote in message
Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example,
it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

Bill

Zucchinis and crooknecks do if they're healthy. Which leads me to today's
problem: so do "cream of the crop" white acorn squashes. I had hoped for a
good harvest, but perhaps not quite THIS good. Does anybody have acorn
squash recipe ideas that don't involve sweets - brown sugar, maple syrup, or
honey?

I have one to share in exchange: Bake squashes as usual, split, and remove
seeds. Fry bulk sausage and drain excess fat. Along with sausage in the
remaining fat, saute chopped onions and apples. Pack the sausage/onion/apple
mixture into squash cavities. Makes a nice October supper. Maple syrup and
cinnamon go well but are optional.

Kathy

Old 24-08-2005, 07:13 PM
alan[remove][email protected]

Live on Long Island and planted on June 10th and some a week later.

Me too, same problem. The other day I saw 4 or 5 zuchinni on one
plant and today none of them looked good. They were really small,
maybe about 4 inches. I went out there the other day and thought some
kind of horrible worm was on the tip of one of then and even took a
picture to try to get online somehow but that turned out to be the
rotted flower. Then I thought it might be the chipmunks, so today I
put down crushed red pepper again. If they are rotting because there
are too many of them, then maybe the chipmunks are staying away
because of the first red pepper I put down.

I saw some blossom end rot on two of the green beefsteaks, so I'm
holding off on watering as much as I was. Actually, the sprinkler guy
was here to raise the sprinklers and he switched me from every other
day to every day for 15 minutes. Could that be why the zukes aren't
doing so well?

Old 25-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Sue

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:13:27 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

I'd asked about this rot business here awhile back. Mine get about an
inch or two, turn yellow and rot. Lots of suggestions. One was that
they may not be getting enough water so I'm trying to increase it. My
problem is disorganization - I just don't have a schedule. I did
but my backyard auto sprinkler system died to it's up to me.
Another couple of things I've noticed with the zucchini that are
actually maturing (and I ought to start another thread about this, I
suppose) is that they are quite pale and some are bulbous looking -
almost like gourds. I've never had either of these problems. I'm
assuming that I've planted the same type as usual - cheapies from
Wal*Mart.
Sue
San Joaquin Valley, CA

Old 26-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Dwayne

"Kathy" wrote in message
wrote in message
Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example,
it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

Bill

Zucchinis and crooknecks do if they're healthy. Which leads me to today's
problem: so do "cream of the crop" white acorn squashes. I had hoped for a
good harvest, but perhaps not quite THIS good. Does anybody have acorn
squash recipe ideas that don't involve sweets - brown sugar, maple syrup,
or honey?

Take the top off like a pumpkin, remove the seeds, fill it with chopped
apples (other fruits will work also) and add some cinniman. Bake for 45
minutes and eat. Or fry some meat and onions, stuff the squash with it and
bake for 45 minutes and eat . Or cut them up and add to stew and soups. I
also cut them in to slices, microwave them till tender, spray they with "I
cant believe its not butter". Or Slice and fry them and eat. Or add them
to casseroles.

Dwayne

Old 26-08-2005, 04:41 PM
alan[remove][email protected]

Sue, something has to be wrong someplace although mine are not pale or
bulbous loking...actually some do turn a little pale before they go.

Yesterday I decided to cut all the leaves off because the leaves are
huge and maybe drawing all the sun, water and nutrients. What the
hell, I've only had one zuchinni all summer, so what do I have to
lose? I also took some soil and mulch and put it ontop of the base of
the plant which appears to be not that imbedded. The leaves leaves
and chutes seem to be groing away from the root ball and there are
lots of straw looking things, maybe dea shoots coming out of the
ground.

Old 26-08-2005, 11:26 PM
John Savage

Sue writes:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:32:14 GMT, wrote:

Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example, it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

I have that rotting problem, too. Sigh.

Are you carrying out the pollination yourself? If the flower is not
properly pollinated the tiny fruit seems to rot or just grow stunted
before it falls. Use a small brush and perform the pollination yourself.

It could be that bees have better things to do with their time than
gather pollen from your plants, or the weather might be inclement so they
choose to stay home and just put their feet up.

Old 27-08-2005, 01:53 AM
Sue

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:26:20 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Sue writes:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:32:14 GMT, wrote:

Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example, it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

I have that rotting problem, too. Sigh.

Are you carrying out the pollination yourself? If the flower is not
properly pollinated the tiny fruit seems to rot or just grow stunted
before it falls. Use a small brush and perform the pollination yourself.

One day I went out to do this (hand pollination) and had to battle the
bees to get to the flowers. I decided it didn't need doing *that*
day. I'll try it again tomorrow. I'm also going to take a deep
breath and hack away at my huge tomato bushes. Hardly any tomatoes
but lots of bush. I need to rethink the whole garden thing next year.
I have so little space that I crowd too much (tomatoes and bells), I
don't do enough prep work and I shoulda found this NG before I planted
in the spring.

It could be that bees have better things to do with their time than
gather pollen from your plants, or the weather might be inclement so they
choose to stay home and just put their feet up.

G Sounds like a good idea to me. I am sooo glad it's the weekend.
We had about 20 days of over 100 degrees. I don't know much about
bees - is that too hot for them to be active?
Sue

Old 27-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Sue

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:41:21 -0400,
wrote:

Sue, something has to be wrong someplace although mine are not pale or
bulbous loking...actually some do turn a little pale before they go.

Yesterday I decided to cut all the leaves off because the leaves are
huge and maybe drawing all the sun, water and nutrients. What the
hell, I've only had one zuchinni all summer, so what do I have to
lose? I also took some soil and mulch and put it ontop of the base of
the plant which appears to be not that imbedded. The leaves leaves
and chutes seem to be groing away from the root ball and there are
lots of straw looking things, maybe dea shoots coming out of the
ground.

Pretty much what I'm going to do to my tomatoes tomorrow. No canning
this year, darn it. Not enough fruit for the second year in a row.
I'm going to try the hand pollinating of the zucchini, too
Darn good thing my life doesn't depend on my garden - only my
self-esteem. (
Sue

Old 27-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Dwayne said:

Kathy" wrote

Does anybody have acorn
squash recipe ideas that don't involve sweets - brown sugar, maple syrup,
or honey?

Take the top off like a pumpkin, remove the seeds, fill it with chopped
apples (other fruits will work also) and add some cinniman. Bake for 45
minutes and eat. Or fry some meat and onions, stuff the squash with it and
bake for 45 minutes and eat . Or cut them up and add to stew and soups.
I also cut them in to slices, microwave them till tender, spray they with "I
cant believe its not butter". Or Slice and fry them and eat. Or add them
to casseroles.

Bake them with a bit of butter and season with black pepper. Add a dash of
cayenne and a topping of sauteed onions to dress them up.

Puree cooked, peeled squash with a small portion of sauteed onions.
Season with nutmeg and pepper (perhaps a dash of cayenne). Add
cream or milk (up to half the total, though I prefer much less). Serve
as a hot or cold soup.

Use pureed squash as an ingredient in muffins, pancakes or waffles,
replacing some of the liquid and oil and cutting out some of the sugar.
Season with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Chopped walnuts go well
with the squash. (A family favorite is multigrain pumpkin waffles,
served with homemade, reduced-sugar spiced apple jelly. The flour
mix includes a variety of whole-grain flours and defatted soy flour.)

The most unusual way I've had squash is wrapped up corn tortillas
and cooked as enchildas (with red chile sauce).

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 27-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Pat Kiewicz

wrote:

It could be that bees have better things to do with their time than
gather pollen from your plants, or the weather might be inclement so they
choose to stay home and just put their feet up.

G Sounds like a good idea to me. I am sooo glad it's the weekend.
We had about 20 days of over 100 degrees. I don't know much about
bees - is that too hot for them to be active?

No, but your weather was too hot for your tomatoes to be setting
fruit. (Which you commented on earlier in this thread.) I had
a short lull in ripening fruit on my tomato plants which is probably
connected to a stretch of very hot weather earlier this summer.

Squash will abort fruit (sometimes without the flower even opening) when
they are stressed (by fruit load, pests, or environmental circumstances).

(attributed to Don Marti)