Old 28-03-2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike

Default I feel so sorry for you folks in cold climate areas.

Here it is March 28, (2006) and my carrots are popping through- an inch
high; my watermelon; squash; okra and snow peas are 1 to 2" high; my
potatoes are about half- way grown; cauliflowers have little marble
sized caulitflower on them'; cabbage is about ready to firm up to make
cabbageheads; new grape plan is blossoming, and I'm already eating
delicious Bibb lettuce, As soon as they're arrive from Henry Field's,
I'll be planting strawberries, sweet potatoes, and onions.

Even in winter I had planted a terrific garden. BUT,,,,summers just
too hot for some veggies,...lettuce, and cole crops, while tomatoes
have to be shaded. Question: Where do I live? And be gentle with
your answers,(tee hee)

Mike

Old 28-03-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin

Mike wrote:
Here it is March 28, (2006) and my carrots are popping through- an inch
high; my watermelon; squash; okra and snow peas are 1 to 2" high; my
potatoes are about half- way grown; cauliflowers have little marble
sized caulitflower on them'; cabbage is about ready to firm up to make
cabbageheads; new grape plan is blossoming, and I'm already eating
delicious Bibb lettuce, As soon as they're arrive from Henry Field's,
I'll be planting strawberries, sweet potatoes, and onions.

Even in winter I had planted a terrific garden. BUT,,,,summers just
too hot for some veggies,...lettuce, and cole crops, while tomatoes
have to be shaded. Question: Where do I live? And be gentle with
your answers,(tee hee)

Mike

Hey Mike, BITE ME! ;-D

--
Steve
Dumb sign # 27: On a restroom dryer at O'Hare Field in
Old 28-03-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

truth be told, I ate radicchio, kale, collard and bok choi through the
winter. I just finished everything (the last bucket was harvested one
week ago) and now I am eating (grazing) smaller, come-again green
leaves from heads harvested in november. Michigan under a tunnel is not
so bad, the garlic under the tunnels is one foot high whereas the one
outside is just pushing out. The only problem is when it stays well
below freezing through the weekend, and I can not harvest veggies
unless they are unfrozen. This year it never happened though.

so don't be so smug. We have relatively few pests compared to the
South, and the summers are pleasant.

Old 29-03-2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Harry Chickpea

"Lucid" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
(Chopped out the silly boasting)
Even in winter I had planted a terrific garden. BUT,,,,summers just
too hot for some veggies,...lettuce, and cole crops, while tomatoes
And be gentle with
your answers,(tee hee)

I say we find this guy's mother and slap her for what she brought into the
world!

Luc

Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3 foot
iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just
bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far
south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.
Old 29-03-2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message
Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3 foot
iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just
bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far
south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a red-bellied
black snake.

David

Old 29-03-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message
Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3 foot
iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just
bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far
south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a red-bellied
black snake.

David

Hi! A few unkind people in this world.

But you came closest with the iguana bit...I live in Southern Arizona!

Old 29-03-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
omi

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message
Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3
foot
iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just
bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far
south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a
red-bellied
black snake.

David

Hi! A few unkind people in this world.

But you came closest with the iguana bit...I live in Southern Arizona!

Me too. Where we have very few insects, no raccoons, have an occasional
Javalina, can garden every month of the year. Not to mention, virtually
no rainfall and a scarce water supply.

Olin

Old 30-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered User

Smile

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Harry Chickpea"
wrote in message
Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3
foot
iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just
bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far
south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a
red-bellied
black snake.

David

Hi! A few unkind people in this world.

But you came closest with the iguana bit...I live in Southern Arizona!

Me too. Where we have very few insects, no raccoons, have an occasional
Javalina, can garden every month of the year. Not to mention, virtually
no rainfall and a scarce water supply.

Olin

thanks mike for feeling sorry for us all but really u dont have to because a lot of people have gardens in the winter even in the cold areas. some ppl put straw over their carrots and other things so that they can harvest them later on during the year.
its nice to hear that u have a really nice garden and u tend to enjoy it a lot .
i know ppl think u are bragging but your main question was "where do i live?" not hey im an ass bragging about my garden u had to tell us those things so that we would guess where u lived.
i have an adopted sister living in arizona she loves it there.
thanks for telling us about your garden and where u live.
im from southern ontario around the stratford area. we had a fairly open winter this year and dont have any snow as of right now.
enjoy your garden. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 31-03-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On 28 Mar 2006 13:06:01 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

I saw my first hummingbird yesterday evening!

Yay! It's official, it's spring!

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 01-04-2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

Bet he can't grow apples or pears and have flies year round.

And can't grow raspberries or rhubarb.

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message

Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3

foot
iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just
bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far
south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a

red-bellied
black snake.

Hah! Those red bellied black snakes are great! If you have them then
you don't have Eastern Brown Snakes or Tiger Snakes. And I'll bet
that you and I are both much further South than the other posters who
seem to think "South" is somwhere in the Northern Hemisphere :-))

Old 05-04-2006, 08:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message

Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3

foot
iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just
bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far
south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a

red-bellied
black snake.

Hah! Those red bellied black snakes are great! If you have them then
you don't have Eastern Brown Snakes or Tiger Snakes. And I'll bet
that you and I are both much further South than the other posters who
seem to think "South" is somwhere in the Northern Hemisphere :-))

We were told the old furphy about black snakes keeping away the browns but
it just ain't so. We have browns as well but there are more blacks, I don't
really mind the blacks as they leave you alone if you leave them alone but
browns are really scary. Both are endemic to the district. We are about 32
degrees Sth.

David

Old 05-04-2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
[...]

I don't know how far south I am.

At our other palce we have red bellied blacks and no other snakes at
all. The value of the red bellied blacks is that their venom kills
brown snakes whereas the reverse is not true.