Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sorry folks, I am still alive!!!

Been having a discussion (argument) about what to compost, so what stuff
should one compost or not?

Absolutely need an answer!

Alan

Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

Been having a discussion (argument) about what to compost, so what stuff
should one compost or not?

Absolutely need an answer!

Trolls are good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

Been having a discussion (argument) about what to compost, so what stuff
should one compost or not?

Absolutely need an answer!

Trolls are good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is he not with us any more then? It's still a good question.
I'll start. I compost all vegetable waste from the kitchen, all annual
weeds, teabags, vacuum cleaner fluff, and all cleanings from my chicken
huts. Wood ash from my woodburner. Some cardboard and paper. Some prunings
(but this slows it down)

Old 05-07-2015, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to ompost [Was: Sorry folks, I am still alive!!!]

Good morning.

I change the subject to facilitate locating the thread.

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 01:14:47 +0100,
Christina Websell wrote:
Is he not with us any more then? It's still a good question.
I'll start. I compost all vegetable waste from the kitchen, all annual
weeds, teabags, vacuum cleaner fluff, and all cleanings from my chicken
huts. Wood ash from my woodburner. Some cardboard and paper. Some prunings
(but this slows it down)

The vacuum cleaner bags always contain a quantity of synthetical dust
which will never copost. I am unable to tell, if this is bad or
unimportant, but venture that it depends on many factors and you should
maybe find out about your own dust, before using it in the garden.

I find it simpler to just avoid composting the vacuum cleaner dust.

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

nor
paper or cardboard (both of which go for recycling), although in
principle there's no reason why these last two shouldn't be composted.

Monty Don, mentioned a few years ago, that he adds a greater % of
cardboard / paper, than I would ever had imagined, but always willing
to have a go, I tried adding every scrap of corrugated cardboard and
shredded paper, I had (possibly 25%) , and have never had such good
compost.
It rots quicker.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/15 21:30, Alan Holmes wrote:

Been having a discussion (argument) about what to compost, so what stuff
should one compost or not?

Absolutely need an answer!

Alan

Avoid weed bulbs (Spanish bluebell, muscari, some alliums, etc) unless
you crush them first. Avoid roots of deep-seated weeds like bindweed.
Avoid long-lived weed seeds such as poppies. It might be possible to
compost all of these if they are buried deep enough and the compost heap
gets hot enough.

Woody branches can be composted if they are shredded first and you are
prepared to wait longer than for composting green plant material. In
fact, a shredder is a useful adjunct to composting - it will speed up
the composting of most leaves.

--

Jeff
Old 05-07-2015, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2015 21:30, Alan Holmes wrote:

Been having a discussion (argument) about what to compost, so what stuff
should one compost or not?

Absolutely need an answer!

Alan

Welcome back, Alan! Nice to know you're still with us.

I have five bins at the moment and they make good compost:~)).
I compost garden waste inc. grass clippings, weeds (even perennial weeds
with the roots chopped off); lots of cardboard (not shiny printfed
stuff) and papier mache packaging, which the worms love and it breaks
down well (I find quality paper doesn't break down as quickly, but
scrunched up newspaper is fine); tea bags, despite the persisting bag;
kitchen waste (but no meat products and no fat); citrus and onion
peelings I spread thinly as my worms are a bit sniffy about them.
Potato peelings once zapped in the microwave for a minute, otherwise
they sprout and persist. I don't put bread or pastry in, as these can
attract rats, and they're better offered to birds. I occasionally put
in a sprinkle of pelleted chicken poo which seems to hurry things along
nicely. I've even been know to put ants in when they become a nuisance.
They break the compost down really well. When you want to get rid of
them, simply add lots of water which they don't like, or wait till they
die naturally as winter approaches.

It would be interesting to know what your heated discussion brought up
and villified .. and why.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-07-2015, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 10:34:49 +0100,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/07/15 21:30, Alan Holmes wrote:

Avoid weed bulbs (Spanish bluebell, muscari, some alliums, etc) unless
you crush them first. Avoid roots of deep-seated weeds like bindweed.
Avoid long-lived weed seeds such as poppies. It might be possible to
compost all of these if they are buried deep enough and the compost heap
gets hot enough.

“Hot” is the word.
Thistle and dock will wait for ages to get a chance to sprout. I do not
know your English word for rumex acidus, but this is the only “weed"
root that I voluntarily tolerate on my compost (and about everywhere
else, too). (Want some?)

On the other hand, if the resulting compost contains a nicely balanced
mixture of all kinds of elements, some species will stay incognito.
A huge amount of thistle growing simultaneously on your beds indicate a
lack of phosphate. So it could be a hint on how to improve your compost
and, subsequently, your soil. I'd like to have a comprehensive guide on
these “indicator-plants” but instead pick up these informations one by
one on a diversity of occasions... If you have access to this kind of
intelligence, PSE share ! (before they classify it).

TIA,

Michael
Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/07/2015 16:59, Michael Uplawski wrote:
Thistle and dock will wait for ages to get a chance to sprout. I do not
know your English word for rumex acidus, but this is the only “weed"
root that I voluntarily tolerate on my compost (and about everywhere
else, too). (Want some?)

Rumex acidus is an illegitimate name for Rumex acetosa, the usual
English vernacular for which is sorrel.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Nowadays we quarell about almost everything!!

She can be VERY difficult about anything and nothing.

Alan

Old 06-07-2015, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/07/2015 09:31, Derek wrote:
nor
paper or cardboard (both of which go for recycling), although in
principle there's no reason why these last two shouldn't be composted.

Monty Don, mentioned a few years ago, that he adds a greater % of
cardboard / paper, than I would ever had imagined, but always willing
to have a go, I tried adding every scrap of corrugated cardboard and
shredded paper, I had (possibly 25%) , and have never had such good
compost.
It rots quicker.

I don't know if it is related, but the worms seem to love wet corrugated
cardboard and fibrous stuff like egg boxes. Not sure if it is as a
foodstuff or as a shelter/breeding ground.

I recycle all 'shiny' or coloured card and most box cardboard - but keep
a portion of the latter to mix with the compost - particularly grass
clippings. Paper from the shredder goes in there too.

--
regards andy