Old 01-02-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Heirloom Tomatoes

Does anyone have and grow heirloom tomatoes? That is my thing. I have 3
varities now Russian, Irish and talian. I had one last year that weighed
2 lb. 10 oz. and was great flavor. My Irish is the biggest but the
Russian is the best table tomato.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 02-02-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 1, 9:01 am, (Mel M Kelly) wrote:
Does anyone have and grow heirloom tomatoes? That is my thing. I have 3
varities now Russian, Irish and talian. I had one last year that weighed
2 lb. 10 oz. and was great flavor. My Irish is the biggest but the
Russian is the best table tomato.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Hi Guys...am growing Heirlooms this year for the first time. I have
some Hibreds
growing from seed now, but will be concentrating on Heirlooms mostly,
this year.
I also will enjoy what ever info & help I am able to get here.....I
wish us luck.
Best Regards, Art in New Orleans....BTW, where are you ?

Old 04-02-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2 Feb 2007 15:06:22 -0800, "Art Hutchison in NOLA 8b"
wrote:

On Feb 1, 9:01 am, (Mel M Kelly) wrote:
Does anyone have and grow heirloom tomatoes? That is my thing. I have 3
varities now Russian, Irish and talian. I had one last year that weighed
2 lb. 10 oz. and was great flavor. My Irish is the biggest but the
Russian is the best table tomato.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Hi Guys...am growing Heirlooms this year for the first time. I have
some Hibreds
growing from seed now, but will be concentrating on Heirlooms mostly,
this year.
I also will enjoy what ever info & help I am able to get here.....I
wish us luck.
Best Regards, Art in New Orleans....BTW, where are you ?

Check out Solana Seeds, a small seed supplier in Quebec, Canada.
They have over 200 varieties of heirloom tomatoes. We've had excellent
results with their seeds and they have very reasonable prices.
We normally plant over 20 different tomato varieties each year. Here's
just a few of our favourites: Anna Russian, Aunt Ruby's German Green,
Debarao, Longkeeper, Polish Linguisa, Pruden's Purple and Principe
Borghese (for drying).
http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:29:54 -0600, Charlie wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

www.rareseeds.com

tomato list

Last year I planted, among many others, the White Currant from
Rareseeds (Baker Creek Heirloom) and highly recommend it. Absolutely
the best tomato flavor of *any* tomato that we have ever grown.
(Another thing I like about rareseeds is that they are quite generous
on packet size)

I haven't tried the white current tomato, but current tomatoes are
among my favorites. The problem I have with them is that they never
make it into the house! I walk around the yard in the evening, popping
them in my mouth like little candies.

We grew two of the White Currents in a large container and our
grandson made sure none went to waste! :-) Nice manageble size,
unlike some other cherries I plant. Will plant at least a half dozen
this year.

I put a few in hanging baskets every year. They need to be watered
everyday in the hottest part of the summer, but otherwise they do
fine. I actually picked yellow current tomatoes on Thanksgiving Day
this year, long after my other tomatoes had succumbed to the blight.
Sadly, they didn't make it to the Thanksgiving table for everyone to
enjoy, but, hey, I sure enjoyed them!

Have you planted Stupice before? I am thinking of trying them and am
curious about others opinions about flavor and "earliness".

Stupice is my favorite early tomato. I've tried several others, but it
has been the most dependable and productive, plus it keeps going once
the heat hits. You do get some tomatoes with green shoulders, and some
people don't like that, but I think the flavor and productivity is
outstanding in such an early tomato.

The Stupice I started this spring already have their second leaves and
look like little tomato plants instead of sprouting seeds. Now if this
stretch of cold weather would just break, I'll get them repotted and
into the cold frame.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ook Ook is offline

Charlie wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:39:45 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

(first reply didn't showup.... I may have poked the wrong
followup/reply button.....sorry if I did)

Stupice is my favorite early tomato. I've tried several others, but it
has been the most dependable and productive, plus it keeps going once
the heat hits. You do get some tomatoes with green shoulders, and some
people don't like that, but I think the flavor and productivity is
outstanding in such an early tomato.

Thank you for the response. Seeds are on order.

Phooey......I am a'hungerin' for fresh tomatoes now!

--
Charlie

I just got some black cherry tomatoe seeds from Rareseeds, and just ordered
some red and yellow pear toms. I'm having a difficult time exercising
restraint...I have my seed pots ready to go....sigh...no, no, not yet! Too
early to plant...

Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

(first reply didn't showup.... I may have poked the wrong
followup/reply button.....sorry if I did)

You emailed to me. Not a problem, would you like me to repost it here?

Penelope
- "pointed"
Old 16-02-2007, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie
says...
wrote:

(first reply didn't showup.... I may have poked the wrong
followup/reply button.....sorry if I did)

Stupice is my favorite early tomato. I've tried several others, but it
has been the most dependable and productive, plus it keeps going once
the heat hits. You do get some tomatoes with green shoulders, and some
people don't like that, but I think the flavor and productivity is
outstanding in such an early tomato.

Thank you for the response. Seeds are on order.

Phooey......I am a'hungerin' for fresh tomatoes now!

No, you are mistaken. They are hungering for you. Didn't you
ever see that fine National Geographic documentary film, "Attack
Of The Killer Tomatoes"?

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

heirloom tomatoes in Georgetown Texas and bhn 444 Texaslights Texas 1 28-09-2005 02:44 AM
Heirloom tomatoes. RR Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2005 01:05 PM
Heirloom tomatoes Melba's Jammin' Edible Gardening 5 15-08-2005 06:08 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 21 24-02-2004 06:11 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 0 21-02-2004 02:27 PM