Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default goats

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they just run right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell them, as they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed away. just hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and flower
beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they just run
right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell them, as
they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed away. just
hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............

Uh, build a pen???
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and
flower
beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they just
run
right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell them, as
they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed away.
just
hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............

Uh, build a pen???
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

uh - they were/are in a pen. they run thru it. tried electric, chicken
wire, wire panels, and wood fencing. they either run thru or jump over.
and these goats can jump. caught one of them on top of our horse trailer
and then again on top of the round hay baler.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Rachael Simpson wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

[...]

The pen needs a roof.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's goat-free Far East.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 9, 9:54 pm, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

[...]

and then again on top of the round hay baler.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe a 10' deer fence around the garden? Plus a garden in their pen.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and flower
beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they just run
right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell them, as
they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed away. just
hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............

You must be the person who didn't have any problems.

How about, attach an anchor? I hate to bring them down but they seem
like they are having way too much fun. Is there a ng for animal
husbandry? How old are they? Maybe they will become domesticated? Turn
up the amperage.

I'm sure they are just as cute as buttons.

- Bill
Old 10-05-2007, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and
flower
beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they just
run
right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell them, as
they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed away.
just
hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............

Uh, build a pen???

uh - they were/are in a pen. they run thru it. tried electric, chicken
wire, wire panels, and wood fencing. they either run thru or jump over.
and these goats can jump. caught one of them on top of our horse trailer
and then again on top of the round hay baler.

Mm, I used to raise Nubians and Saanens.

I was able to keep them penned.

Build the fences HIGHER!

Cattle panels are cheap, and 4' high.

I just used 6', 2" x 4" mesh farm fencing. Runs about $40.00 for 50 ft.,
welded wire.
T-posts are cheap too. :-)

Place one ever 6 feet of linear fencing.

Works for emus too and they are worse than goats.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they
just run right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell
them, as they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed
away. just hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............

We had goats at one time. Only field fence will keep them in, or out. Run
a string of electric wire about 4" above the top. That will contain them.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they
just run right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell
them, as they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed
away. just hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............

Goats, for some reason, wear heavy shaggy sweaters. Unless they put an
exposed part of their body on the wire, it doesn't bother them to a degree
for the proper response you're looking for. Most adequate electrical
fencing for goats is low impedance, high energy. It uses an intermittent
pulse, not constant energy. The wire is high tensile strength version.
2000 volts or better is recommended.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/ar...2/fencing.html

Dave

Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 9 May 2007 20:34:43 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and =
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but =
they just run right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have =
to sell them, as they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he =
passed away. just hate them eating all my plants!

Might possibly be a wive's tale but ISTR reading that goats don't
like to jump over fences if they can't see the landing zone.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and =
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but =
they just run right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have =
to sell them, as they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he =
passed away. just hate them eating all my plants!

Might possibly be a wive's tale but ISTR reading that goats don't
like to jump over fences if they can't see the landing zone.

Ha - maybe we should put blinders on these three then................in
response to cloud dreamer - still trying to figure out how to roof in a half
acre pasture..........

thanks anyways

Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

=
passed away. just hate them eating all my plants!

Might possibly be a wive's tale but ISTR reading that goats don't
like to jump over fences if they can't see the landing zone.

Ha - maybe we should put blinders on these three then................in
response to cloud dreamer - still trying to figure out how to roof in a
half acre pasture..........

No need to roof it over. Get 4' field fence and run an electric wire about 4
to 6" over the top. It will keep in the most determined goats.

thanks anyways

Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" writes:
does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and =
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but =

Train them to strap collars, and then tether them. Make sure the ropes
are too substantial to be chewed, and that there is nothing for the ropes
to snag on. If there is any likelihood of the goats being spooked, by a dog
especially, tie the ropes to an old bike tyre or similar which is in turn
anchored --- so that there is some "give" in the restraint otherwise there
is a possibility that when put to flight a goat might snap its neck as the
rope snaps taut. (BTDT, sheep). Tied to a fence is best so that they can't
go round and round (e.g., a pole) and wind the rope tightly.

Move the tethers a couple of times each day, ensuring access to water and
shade is always available.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

Train them to strap collars, and then tether them. Make sure the ropes
are too substantial to be chewed, and that there is nothing for the ropes
to snag on.

Goats are tricky. When I was a kid, we had this pygmy goat named Christopher
who would ALWAYS get loose and go eat the neighbor's orchids. Didn't matter
how he was tied up, he'd find a way out. My mother would have a collar on
him and she'd have it on tight enough so he couldn't get it over his head,
but not so tight his breathing would be affected, but he still got loose.
Chains didn't work either. He'd find a way out. Didn't hesitate to butt
either. Always had to keep a lookout when I was playing in the yard. One
time I remember I got chased by him and I actually climbed up the SCREEN
door(had that aluminum decorative stuff that I used to hold on to) and I
think I remember mom chasing him off with a screwdriver(I'm not sure I'm
remembering right 'bout the screwdriver because it doesn't make much sense,
but that's how I remember it).

Old 11-05-2007, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" writes:
does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and =
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but =

How about surrender? Make cheese and swap for veggies and flowers. I bet
they are cute.

- Bill

Hire goats $1.50/day ... Oz sci.agriculture 0 20-07-2003 07:32 AM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 10-04-2003 07:32 PM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 25-02-2003 05:53 AM