Old 17-05-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Too Wet to Plant?

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all of the good advice so far!

Another question has popped up, though.

This weekend is the frost-free date for my area and I was planning a great
weekend of planting. Unfortunately it's been raining for two days and
it's not supposed to let up until at least Monday. Needless to say, it's
going to be a soggy weekend.

I had planned on planting my corn, cukes, carrots, squash, herbs and a few
flowers as well as transplanting the tomatoes. My novice knowledge is
telling me that all of the water is going to be ok for germination (the
temperature is going to be hovering around 60F/15C).

The question is whether or not this much moisture is ok or will the seeds
simply "drown"? Should I wait for some better weather (could be a while)?

I'm using raised beds to I won't be compacting the soil and it does have
good drainage.

Thanks.

--
The Good Friar

Old 17-05-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Friar Donk wrote:
[...]

Hard to say without knowing how much rain is falling. What has fallen
and what is forecast?

Also, some plants don't need the frost free date to plant. Stuff like
carrots can go into the ground the moment you can work the soil. Which
is especially important for carrots cause they need a long season (and
can stay in the ground until it snows).

Around here, I plant almost everything six weeks before the last
frost-free date (~10 June). We still get below zero temps at night now,
and I have my carrots, turnips, potatoes, peas and onions in the ground
(since May 1st). They've all sprouted and are doing well.

My tomatoes and corn will go into the greenhouse as soon as the nursery
has seedlings available (this week hopefully).

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.
Old 17-05-2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 17 May 2007 10:33:49 -0230, cloud dreamer wrote:

Friar Donk wrote:

Hard to say without knowing how much rain is falling. What has fallen
and what is forecast?

So far about 10mm of rain has fallen in two days, with 30mm expected over
the next five (about 5mm per day, off and on).

The actual forecast is he

http://www.theweathernetwork.ca/feat...s/CANS0164.htm

Also, some plants don't need the frost free date to plant. Stuff like
carrots can go into the ground the moment you can work the soil. Which
is especially important for carrots cause they need a long season (and
can stay in the ground until it snows).

I have some carrots, spinach, lettuce and peas happily growing as I
planted them a few weeks ago, but I try to stagger plantings so I have a
continuous supply.

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Hm. Looks like you're in my neighborhood, perhaps a little farther north.

--
The Good Friar

Old 17-05-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Friar Donk wrote:

Hard to say without knowing how much rain is falling. What has fallen
and what is forecast?

So far about 10mm of rain has fallen in two days, with 30mm expected over
the next five (about 5mm per day, off and on).

The actual forecast is he

http://www.theweathernetwork.ca/feat...s/CANS0164.htm

That forecast wouldn't dissuade me very much. Forecasts of 50 or 100 mm
would raise an eyebrow, but 30 mm spread over several days would just
mean you don't have to water for the first week at least. The
temperatures are spot on too....and yeah...I'm drooling over the double
digits there....sigh

Also, some plants don't need the frost free date to plant. Stuff like
carrots can go into the ground the moment you can work the soil. Which
is especially important for carrots cause they need a long season (and
can stay in the ground until it snows).

I have some carrots, spinach, lettuce and peas happily growing as I
planted them a few weeks ago, but I try to stagger plantings so I have a
continuous supply.

Yeah. I stagger my turnip and peas. The carrots take so %&$*# long up
here, they're in the moment the ice pick cracks the surface.

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Hm. Looks like you're in my neighborhood, perhaps a little farther north.

Yup. Land of ice, rock and short carrots.

Old 19-05-2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Are we talking Newfoundland? And are you calling turnips what I call
rutabaga? My last trip up there was 3 years ago in October and the
roadside stands were selling "turnips". Of course we call them rutabaga
down here. I have to admit that seeing corn on the cob in a "tin" was a
new one on me!! I have been up there twice and absolutley fell in love
with the place...St Johns and the Avalon was all I got to see
though...hopefully will someday get a chance to visit again!!

http://community.webtv.net/viditom/FlowersJuly172006

Old 19-05-2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

diane wrote:
Are we talking Newfoundland? And are you calling turnips what I call
rutabaga? My last trip up there was 3 years ago in October and the
roadside stands were selling "turnips". Of course we call them rutabaga
down here. I have to admit that seeing corn on the cob in a "tin" was a
new one on me!! I have been up there twice and absolutley fell in love
with the place...St Johns and the Avalon was all I got to see
though...hopefully will someday get a chance to visit again!!

Yeah. They sell rutabagas commercially, but I make sure I buy seeds
labeled turnip...usually Purple Top. I'm assuming if it's labeled turnip
then it's turnip. Usually whiter on the inside than the rutabaga. I
guess I was as surprised to see a real corn on a cob when I moved to the
prairies in the 80s as you were seeing them in a tin. Didn't strip an
ear of corn until I was in my 20s. When I was growing up, I never saw
fresh brocolli, califlower or any of the "exotic" fruits...like green
bananas. They just couldn't ship it here fast enough. No problems
today...thankfully.

I'm on the Avalon, west of St. John's. Spent eleven years living across
the country and had to come back. There's no place like it....but as
they say...you can take the boy out of the bay but you can't take the
bay outta the boy...(or girl...

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East

Old 20-05-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

LOL can ya send me any cod tongues? I think I ate them 10 days
straight last trip up there!! You do grow califlower and brocilli now
I'm assuming? Your climate is about like mine (without the winds) so I'd
think you'd have better luck with the cold weather crops then the
"exotics". Can't grow melons here and have to plant early maters
too!...50 miles south of northern Ontario!! Can't hide my addy so feel
free to mail me,,,

http://community.webtv.net/viditom/FlowersJuly172006

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM