Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default HELP - leaf/plant disease!

This is the second year that it looks like my vegetable and flower garden
are doomed. I thought it was only the luck of last year when I had crop
failure and not to happen this year but I was wrong.

The problem if that my transplants which look very good were planted 4 weeks
ago in Pennsylvania. My soil was tested and came back with very acceptable
results for all ranges.

The top leaf photo is of my parsely in a container, there is purple fringing
of the leaves and the parsely is growing extremely slow.

The nice dark geen plant leaves, especially my Marigolds, are now turning a
very pale green and with what looks like a splotchy appearance see the
bottom leaf in the attached photo link. They look sick now and not that
nice healthy green leaf. The top leaves look better but not the nice dark
geen leaf as when they were first transplanted. I have used 10-10-10
fertilizer when I tilled my garden 4 weeks ago and I also included Ironrite
to make sure that there was enough iron in the soil.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/...fd3d82af_o.jpg

All my vegetables and flowers seem to grown very slow and stay small. The
same Lady Luck marigolds would always grow 20-24 inches tall and just as
wide for 20 years. Last year they only grew 10 inches tall and 6 inches
wide. This year looks like the same is going to happen. My tomato plants
grow small and not bushy at all. I tilled in about 10% mushroom soil this
year hoping for a boost. The parsley is in a container with just fresh
potting soil (no mushroom soil), a little 10-10-10, ironite and a little
limestone.

I'm stumped!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob P.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"Bob Petruska" expounded:

Any suggestions?

I would go with a fish emulsion like Neptune's Harvest. There are
hose end sprayers now that you don't have to do high math with G You
put the product in the sprayer, set the dial for whatever the mix is
supposed to be (one tablespoon per gallon, whatever) and spray away.
They work quite well.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 04-07-2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ann,

Thanks for the reply, but the original question is what disease the plants
have or what specifically are they lacking?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"Bob Petruska" expounded:

Thanks for the reply, but the original question is what disease the plants
have or what specifically are they lacking?

It's tough to diagnose via a picture, and by the time you get a
diagnosis the season will be over so - I opted for the cure-all I
usually try first. Fish emulsion is full of micronutrients on top of
the big three, it usually will cure what ails a veggie plant. Try it
while you try to get your 'official' diagnosis.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ann,

I will do the fish emulsion as I have some.

Thanks,

BP

"Bob Petruska" expounded:

Old 05-07-2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ann" wrote in message
"Bob Petruska" expounded:

Any suggestions?

I would go with a fish emulsion like Neptune's Harvest. There are
hose end sprayers now that you don't have to do high math with G You
put the product in the sprayer, set the dial for whatever the mix is
supposed to be (one tablespoon per gallon, whatever) and spray away.
They work quite well.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Yellowing/faded green leaves generally means not enough N.
Purple leaves generally means not enough P.

Ann's idea of spraying with a fish emulsion is a really solid idea.

Jan
Old 07-07-2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bob Petruska" wrote in message
This is the second year that it looks like my vegetable and flower garden
are doomed. I thought it was only the luck of last year when I had crop
failure and not to happen this year but I was wrong.

snips ---------

I would say fertilizer burn on the top pic of parsley. The second pic looks
like spider mite or perhaps thrip damage, not lack of any nutrients. Have
you looked close at the back of the leaves for insects?