Old 01-08-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Tomato Sauce Recipe?

Can anyone share a good recipe for making tomato sauce from plum tomatoes?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey 6b

Old 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tim" wrote:

Can anyone share a good recipe for making tomato sauce from plum tomatoes?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey 6b

Puree in blender with sauteed onions and garlic. Place in enamel pan
with herbs (And red wine, if you want that tange. Doesn't have to be
good wine.) and reduce slowly over low heat. Add basil during the last
15 min.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tim wrote:
Can anyone share a good recipe for making tomato sauce from plum tomatoes?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey 6b

Just catching up......drowning in FSA paperwork today.

Ok, like Glenna, I don't use any certain recipe anymore, just experiment
with it. Making tomato sauces can be quite fun actually.

I usually peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and strain the juice into
a bowl. Chop some garlic (1 or 2 cloves depending on how much sauce I'm
making), and place garlic, tomatoes & tomato juice in food processor or
blender. Add a splash of olive oil before starting the blender up. If I
have plenty of time, I will put the sauce in the crock-pot to simmer,
otherwise a coated skillet or saucepan will do. Add basil, parsley,
oregano, or other seasonings to taste. Seasonings don't have to be fresh
necessarily, they can be straight out of the bottle in the cabinet! Can
also add garden veggies, ie, carrots, zukes, squash, bell pepper, and
onions for a chunkier sauce for spagetti. Simmer. Will make the house
smell delicious and the people hungry. The longer it has to simmer the
better it will be.

If I only want a paste for tomato pastry, then I only add some parsley &
basil, no garlic, etc. The same if I want it for veggie soup.

If there is extra, place into a freezer bag or plastic container when
cooled, and freeze for up to 4 months. Well, it might last longer than 4
months in the freezer, but here our's doesn't make it that
long....usually 2 months tops before it gets used!

When I can tomatoes, I only peel & chop the tomatoes, and put them
straight into the pot to stew down.

Hope that gives you some ideas......

Rae
Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Tim wrote:
[...]

Rae, do you really notice the skin and the seeds in tomatoes? I just put
them in the blender and I've never had a problem or a complaint. This
works well with gazpacho as well. Half of us are guys. Do we really need
all this extra work?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:

Rae, do you really notice the skin and the seeds in tomatoes? I just put
them in the blender and I've never had a problem or a complaint. This
works well with gazpacho as well. Half of us are guys. Do we really need
all this extra work?

Well, I do......plus I have diverticulitis, so seeds (of any kind!) are
out of the question for me.....

Old 01-08-2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

Rae, do you really notice the skin and the seeds in tomatoes? I just put
them in the blender and I've never had a problem or a complaint. This
works well with gazpacho as well. Half of us are guys. Do we really need
all this extra work?

Well, I do......plus I have diverticulitis, so seeds (of any kind!) are
out of the question for me.....

Try avoiding wheat.

Just for awhile, and see if it helps.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
Rae, do you really notice the skin and the seeds in tomatoes? I just put
them in the blender and I've never had a problem or a complaint. This
works well with gazpacho as well. Half of us are guys. Do we really need
all this extra work?

Well, I do......plus I have diverticulitis, so seeds (of any kind!) are
out of the question for me.....

Try avoiding wheat.

Just for awhile, and see if it helps.

thanks, already practice that one....now i just try to avoid anything I
know will make it "act" up. corn, popcorn, oatmeal, hard candies, seeds
of any type, corn chips & tortilla chips.... no fun cause most of that
is good stuff!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
thanks, already practice that one....now i just try to avoid anything I
know will make it "act" up. corn, popcorn, oatmeal, hard candies, seeds of
any type, corn chips & tortilla chips.... no fun cause most of that is
good stuff!

Wouldn't surgery cure that?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Manelli Family wrote:

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
thanks, already practice that one....now i just try to avoid anything
I know will make it "act" up. corn, popcorn, oatmeal, hard candies,
seeds of any type, corn chips & tortilla chips.... no fun cause most
of that is good stuff!

Wouldn't surgery cure that?

No, surgery isn't for all cases. Especially when the patient doesn't
have insurance! The surgery is mainly to repair ruptured areas, and the
way to keep from having ruptures is by diet. I just watch what I eat, &
leave it in the good lord's hands. I was first diagnosed when I was 12.
Currently, I have flare-up on average of 2 per year for the last 5
years. Two flare-ups (once this year, once last year) were caused by my
love of tacos & tortilla chips.

My MD would only consider surgery in my case if it was a life or death
deal. If the colon ruptures, then it's the surgery factor, if it's not
to late by the time I get to the hospital....

If interested in learning mo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis/DS00070

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000257.htm

http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/Divert...Topic-Overview

http://www.medicinenet.com/diverticulosis/article.htm
Old 05-08-2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
thanks, already practice that one....now i just try to avoid anything I
know will make it "act" up. corn, popcorn, oatmeal, hard candies, seeds of
any type, corn chips & tortilla chips.... no fun cause most of that is
good stuff!

Wouldn't surgery cure that?

Only if you remove the colon...

Soluble fiber will help more than anything. Oat bran, psyllium, and a
serious increase in WATER consumption.

Too many people don't drink water as a beverage. It's good for what ails
ya.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Wouldn't surgery cure that?

No, surgery isn't for all cases. Especially when the patient doesn't
have insurance! The surgery is mainly to repair ruptured areas, and the
way to keep from having ruptures is by diet. I just watch what I eat, &
leave it in the good lord's hands. I was first diagnosed when I was 12.
Currently, I have flare-up on average of 2 per year for the last 5
years. Two flare-ups (once this year, once last year) were caused by my
love of tacos & tortilla chips.

My MD would only consider surgery in my case if it was a life or death
deal. If the colon ruptures, then it's the surgery factor, if it's not
to late by the time I get to the hospital....

Drink more water.

Seriously.

I've had chronic GI problems since about age 12 too and that has helped
more than anything else.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Wouldn't surgery cure that?

snip

Drink more water.

Seriously.

I've had chronic GI problems since about age 12 too and that has helped
more than anything else.

i drink water........with lemon & sugar....and tea!

lol, nah, seriously now, i drink plain water with lemon in it on
occasion, but not as much as I should.
rae
Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Wouldn't surgery cure that?

snip

Drink more water.

Seriously.

I've had chronic GI problems since about age 12 too and that has helped
more than anything else.

i drink water........with lemon & sugar....and tea!

lol, nah, seriously now, i drink plain water with lemon in it on
occasion, but not as much as I should.
rae

Just trying to help... :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Wouldn't surgery cure that?

snip
Drink more water.

Seriously.

I've had chronic GI problems since about age 12 too and that has helped
more than anything else.

i drink water........with lemon & sugar....and tea!

lol, nah, seriously now, i drink plain water with lemon in it on
occasion, but not as much as I should.
rae

Just trying to help... :-)

I know you were! And I do appreciate it. I just couldn't resist the
small joke there.....

Our tap (well) water isn't the best in the world. Need to invest in a
filter thing or something. We have too many hog farms near by and it
makes our water smell........ugh. Bottled water is getting to be
expensive and I hate boiling the water all the time just to have to wait
for it to get cold again to drink it.

hummm, maybe I should add a brita (or some brand) to my christmas wish
list....

rae
Old 05-08-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Manelli Family wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the info. I had a friend years ago who had the surgery done
and she was fine. She did have good insurance though.