Old 24-11-2007, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What's up with all these m-5 posts

I don't see why all these posts about M-5 garbage is on this group,
isn't there someway to block this stuff ? from getting into our garden
group?
Old 24-11-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
wawwiz wrote:

I don't see why all these posts about M-5 garbage is on this group,
isn't there someway to block this stuff ? from getting into our garden
group?

What's M5?
I'm not seeing any of them, but I may have set up a killfile for them
long ago if they something weird coming in from one area?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 24-11-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Omelet expounded:

In article
,
wawwiz wrote:

I don't see why all these posts about M-5 garbage is on this group,
isn't there someway to block this stuff ? from getting into our garden
group?

What's M5?
I'm not seeing any of them, but I may have set up a killfile for them
long ago if they something weird coming in from one area?

It's a troll who posts to multiple newsgroups. Ignore it, it changes
ISPs as it losing its account. This is by far not the only group it
posts to.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Old 24-11-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 03:51:38 -0800 (PST), wawwiz
wrote:

I don't see why all these posts about M-5 garbage is on this group,
isn't there someway to block this stuff ? from getting into our garden
group?

They appear because most of the newsgroups are unmoderated and anyone
can post anything they want.

If you do not want to see the garbage, get a news provider that
filters out most of the spam. And then use a newsreader that allows
you to filter the rest of the things you do not want to see.
--
Susan N.

Old 25-11-2007, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I think the O.P. was refering to MI5 postings. They are there, all right, and
in several other groups I read.

It brings up a question as to whether our group has a moderator. How does one
know if there is such a person in ours, or any group?

Sure, there are special readers to filter out this junk, but it usually is not
as big an
annoyance as with MI5, who puts so many postings, you can't find the pertinent
stuff (i.e., see the forest through the trees). I am accustomed to my simple
usenet
interface with Comcast, and not anxious to add more complications to it. This
MI5 poster is just too much. I can live with the ocassional spammer.

Sherwin

Old 25-11-2007, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I don't see why all these posts about M-5 garbage is on this group,
isn't there someway to block this stuff ? from getting into our garden
group?

They appear because most of the newsgroups are unmoderated and anyone
can post anything they want.

If you do not want to see the garbage, get a news provider that
filters out most of the spam. And then use a newsreader that allows
you to filter the rest of the things you do not want to see.

I think the O.P. was refering to MI5 postings. They are there, all right, and
in several other groups I read.

It brings up a question as to whether our group has a moderator. How does one
know if there is such a person in ours, or any group?

The word moderated normally appears in the name or description of the
group.

Sure, there are special readers to filter out this junk, but it usually is not
as big an
annoyance as with MI5, who puts so many postings, you can't find the pertinent
stuff (i.e., see the forest through the trees). I am accustomed to my simple
usenet
interface with Comcast, and not anxious to add more complications to it. This
MI5 poster is just too much. I can live with the ocassional spammer.

The OP seems to be reading and posting with Google which is not at a
news reader. My news server must be filtering the MI5 postings since
I have not seen one in months and I do not have a filter set up in my
news reader for it.

--
Susan N.

Old 26-11-2007, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The OP seems to be reading and posting with Google which is not at a
news reader. My news server must be filtering the MI5 postings since
I have not seen one in months and I do not have a filter set up in my
news reader for it.

--
Susan N.

I'm actually reading newsgroups with Netscape. Which newsreader are you using?