Old 21-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Brian

Default Veggie soil question

Where are you close to ?
I am about 40 minutes north of Harrisburg.
I don't know of any mushroom farms around me either. I just think some
of these farmers that have a front loader just get a tractor trailer
load to make some money. Although the closest person is also the
cheapest, most other places charge $15 a scoop.

it is .net instead of .com for my email

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:13:31 GMT, Brian
wrote:

Here is PA you can't go 5 miles without somebody selling it. What it is,
the way I take it is composted horse manure, and yes it comes from
mushroom growers. I have a local person that sells it for $7 for I am
guessing a 5yd bucket (2 scoops fill a pickup truck)
Its been raining here a lot lately and we get some mushrooms coming up
where we mulched with it. I don't trust to eat them though, since I
can't identify them.

We're way up north in PA, pretty far from any mushroom
farms. So it's scarce up here, and costs a good deal more
than that.

I do have one place to buy it, at least I have so far. I
have my fingers and toes crossed that he'll have it again
this year. It really is wonderful stuff.

I won't eat the mushrooms either.

Pat

Old 22-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Tom Tulloch

Treatment for clay soil is Gypsum and organic matter.

"Kathy" wrote in message
The ground I am digging in is very hard on top, it takes a foot on the
shovel to get threw it. I loosen it all up and plant but then after

watering
the top gets a crust on it that is very hard. What can I add to that soil

make my veggies happier?
Thanks In Advance, Kathy

Old 22-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Art Norman

I too have clayey soil and last weekend I bought 50 lbs each of greensand
(gypsum?) and blood meal. They are both fine powders and I'm wondering the
best way to apply to my 4'X50' wide rows. The stuff falls right through my
drop spreader even on the smallest opening setting. I bought a few yards of
compost 2 years ago and have some left - I'll try mixing the powders with it
and hand broadcasting - a big job for my 20 beds though. (My adress ends in
..com)

"Kathy" wrote in message
The ground I am digging in is very hard on top, it takes a foot on the
shovel to get threw it. I loosen it all up and plant but then after

watering
the top gets a crust on it that is very hard. What can I add to that

soil
make my veggies happier?
Thanks In Advance, Kathy

What type of soil should i get delivered for a veggie garden? kevins_news2 Gardening 1 27-04-2004 07:02 AM
veggie filter question Priscilla McCullough Ponds 3 30-04-2003 03:44 PM
Jerri got a question on your Veggie filters? Kristi J Gregor Ponds (alternative) 3 19-04-2003 02:08 AM
Veggie garden question Kathy Gardening 1 06-04-2003 07:08 AM
veggie garden question Kathy Gardening 15 30-03-2003 02:32 AM