Old 22-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Kathy

Default veggie garden question

We have a very small area to plant a few vegetables in. I'd like to grow
Kentucky Green Beans, zucchini, radishes, and a tomato plant. The area is
about 4'x 10'. Can I plant the pole beans in the back, zucchini in front and
radishes amount them all? My other option would be to put the tomatoes in a
pot possibly. What does everyone think? Would be happy for any suggestions.

Kathy

Old 22-03-2003, 10:08 PM
M. Tiefert

In article , "Kathy" wrote:
We have a very small area to plant a few vegetables in. I'd like to grow
Kentucky Green Beans, zucchini, radishes, and a tomato plant. The area is
about 4'x 10'. Can I plant the pole beans in the back, zucchini in front and
radishes amount them all? My other option would be to put the tomatoes in a
pot possibly. What does everyone think? Would be happy for any suggestions.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

If you put the taller plants on the north side or end and progressively
shorter plants in front of them (where 'front' means south), then
everybody will get sunlight.

You can put tomatoes in a pot - their roots go deep, so use a very large
pot or a 'patio' variety of tomato.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/
Old 22-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Matt Leber

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:58:57 GMT, Kathy wrote:
We have a very small area to plant a few vegetables in. I'd like to grow
Kentucky Green Beans, zucchini, radishes, and a tomato plant. The area is
about 4'x 10'. Can I plant the pole beans in the back, zucchini in front and
radishes amount them all? My other option would be to put the tomatoes in a
pot possibly. What does everyone think? Would be happy for any suggestions.

I did just this last year. I had pole beans on the north side of the plot,
zucchini, and then tomatoes. The tomatoes did end up shading one of my
zucchini plants. Because of this, it only produced a couple of smallish
zucchinis. I would put the zucchini to the south end of the bed if I were
to do this again. The tomatoes and beans were very productive and would
have done even better had I installed a drip irrigation system with a timer.

--

Matt...
Old 23-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:58:57 GMT, "Kathy" wrote:

We have a very small area to plant a few vegetables in. I'd like to grow
Kentucky Green Beans, zucchini, radishes, and a tomato plant. The area is
about 4'x 10'. Can I plant the pole beans in the back, zucchini in front and
radishes amount them all? My other option would be to put the tomatoes in a
pot possibly. What does everyone think? Would be happy for any suggestions.

This sounds quite possible...IF you have enough sun. If your 4'x10'
plot is shaded for part of the day and doesn't get at least 6hrs/day
of full (not indirect) sunlight, you may be disappointed. As others
have posted, you want to arrange things so that the tall 'uns don't
shade the short 'uns, too. Good luck!
Old 24-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Dwight Sipler

Matt Leber wrote:

... The tomatoes did end up shading one of my
zucchini plants. Because of this, it only produced a couple of smallish
zucchinis...

Finally! a solution to the excess zucchini problem....

Old 24-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Dwayne

Watch your area one full day and write down when it starts getting sunlight,
and see how much it actually gets. Plants that grow produce from flowers
need full sun. Plants that grow produce from roots need less sunshine, and
plants that produce from leaves can do with even less sunshine.

You can also put your squash in buckets with drain holes, and save a lot of
space in your garden. Let us know how you did. Dwayne

Old 25-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Minteeleaf

Kathy wrote:

We have a very small area to plant a few vegetables in. I'd like to grow
Kentucky Green Beans, zucchini, radishes, and a tomato plant. The area is
about 4'x 10'. Can I plant the pole beans in the back, zucchini in front and
radishes amount them all? My other option would be to put the tomatoes in a
pot possibly. What does everyone think? Would be happy for any suggestions.

Kathy

You can grow the zucchini & tomatoes in big pots.
I am growing my 12 tomato plants, 2 zucchini, potatoes, cukes,
in a combination of huge pots--& I do mean huge--these are
the size pots (tubs) to grow trees in. They have the heavy
nylon rope handles & I put castors on the bottom so they can
easily be moved if need be. Tomatoes need at
least a 5 gallon bucket, bigger is better. Drill drainage
holes in the bottom. I am also growing cukes in a heavy plastic storage
container, spinach & lettuces in window boxes, & herbs & flowers also.
I'm using window screening to line the container bottoms to
facilitate drainage.

Minteeleaf
Old 27-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:29:02 -0600, Matt Leber
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:57:59 -0500, Dwight Sipler wrote:
Matt Leber wrote:

... The tomatoes did end up shading one of my
zucchini plants. Because of this, it only produced a couple of smallish
zucchinis...

Finally! a solution to the excess zucchini problem....

Well, not exactly. The plant 1.5" to the north produced more than we could
eat. The true solution to the "excess zucchini" problem lies in getting to
know your neighbors and finding one (or two or three?) that like zucchini.
Our nextdoor neighbors love zucchini. Even so, we felt as though we needed
to apologize for dumping zucchini on them in bulk quantity

I haven't the space for zucchini, but would be delighted to find some
on my front porch one morning. Just the smaller ones, please. Not
those that hide under the leaves 'til they're 2' long. :-)
Old 27-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Dwight Sipler

Frogleg wrote:

...I haven't the space for zucchini, but would be delighted to find some
on my front porch one morning. Just the smaller ones, please. Not
those that hide under the leaves 'til they're 2' long. :-)

I've found that growing yellow zucchini mitigates that problem. The
yellow fruit are harder to hide, so you generally get them younger. They
taste the same (to me). Most seed catalogs I've looked at have yellow
varieties (Gold Rush, Gold Bar,......)
Old 27-03-2003, 07:20 PM
simy1

Dwight Sipler wrote in message ...
Frogleg wrote:

...I haven't the space for zucchini, but would be delighted to find some
on my front porch one morning. Just the smaller ones, please. Not
those that hide under the leaves 'til they're 2' long. :-)

I've found that growing yellow zucchini mitigates that problem. The
yellow fruit are harder to hide, so you generally get them younger. They
taste the same (to me). Most seed catalogs I've looked at have yellow
varieties (Gold Rush, Gold Bar,......)

They also fruit earlier than the green ones.

Old 28-03-2003, 03:56 AM
John S. DeBoo

Frogleg wrote:

Finally! a solution to the excess zucchini problem....

I haven't the space for zucchini, but would be delighted to find some
on my front porch one morning. Just the smaller ones, please. Not
those that hide under the leaves 'til they're 2' long. :-)

Hey, the bigguns have a use too. My wife makes a totally awsome zuccini bread with
them. A hundred times better than banana bread but still not quite as scrumptious as
fresh pumpkin breadsigh, not from a can.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 29-03-2003, 05:20 AM
B & J

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message

Hey, the bigguns have a use too. My wife makes a totally awsome zuccini

bread with
them. A hundred times better than banana bread but still not quite as

scrumptious as
fresh pumpkin breadsigh, not from a can.

--
John S. DeBoo

I don't like the 2' long ones either, but I'll take any a foot or less long.
I had good luck raising them until I gave up when the squash borers did them
in before they produced. We use the bigger ones for pancakes that are
shredded and prepared in the same way raw potato pancakes are. They are a
lower calorie substitute and taste much the same.

John

Old 29-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Frogleg

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:08:32 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message

Hey, the bigguns have a use too. My wife makes a totally awsome zuccini

bread with
them. A hundred times better than banana bread but still not quite as

scrumptious as
fresh pumpkin breadsigh, not from a can.

I don't like the 2' long ones either, but I'll take any a foot or less long.
I had good luck raising them until I gave up when the squash borers did them
in before they produced. We use the bigger ones for pancakes that are
shredded and prepared in the same way raw potato pancakes are. They are a
lower calorie substitute and taste much the same.

I *love* zucchini pancakes, but will argue the low-cal mention. Maybe
because I serve mine with butter and Parmesean. :-) They also freeze
pretty decently (pre-butter and Parmesean, of course).
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
B & J

wrote:

I don't like the 2' long ones either, but I'll take any a foot or less

long.
I had good luck raising them until I gave up when the squash borers did

them
in before they produced. We use the bigger ones for pancakes that are
shredded and prepared in the same way raw potato pancakes are. They are a
lower calorie substitute and taste much the same.

I *love* zucchini pancakes, but will argue the low-cal mention. Maybe
because I serve mine with butter and Parmesean. :-) They also freeze
pretty decently (pre-butter and Parmesean, of course).

You're gilding the lily. ;-) Try using onions, eggs, small amount of four,
salt, and pepper. There's a spread, which we used, called "Smart Balance"
that works in place of butter. I'll admit that they're not quite as good as
those with butter and Parmesan, but.... GRIN
John