Old 28-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Registered User

Unhappy New Tomatoes Seedlings

Planted seeds not too long ago, haven't grown tomatoes in ages. Had some weeds or something grow and now I have what I believe to be tomato seedlings. If any one could give me some help would be great thanks.
Old 28-02-2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New Tomatoes Seedlings

In article ,
ian.barton1990 wrote:

Planted seeds not too long ago, haven't grown tomatoes in ages. Had some
weeds or something grow and now I have what I believe to be tomato
seedlings. If any one could give me some help would be great thanks.

Are they in the ground or in pots?

If they are in pots, keep them at least at 75F (24C) and put shop lights
or grow lights directly over them but not touching them. Don't let soil
go dry but don't over water (not soggy). On good days, put them outside.

If they are in the ground, get row covers (small green houses to keep
them warm). Check with your local nursery.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 29-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Registered User

They are not in the ground as the weather is very poor at the current moment, they are in a seed tray, at the moment I have 1 seedling which I can't be sure it's a tomato so i thought I would just leave that one to grow to see what it grows to be. How much will this grow-shop light cost and are there any alternatives? Thanks for your help, I am just getting back into gardening after a long time, hopefully I'll have something to show for it soon.

Thanks Ian
Old 29-02-2008, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
ian.barton1990 wrote:

'Billy[_4_ Wrote:
;776560']In article ,
ian.barton1990
LID wrote:
-
[...]

Grow lights and shop lights are two separate types of lights. I don't
have any experience with the shop lights but other posters to this sight
have said that they will get your plants up and growing (some plants
require light for germination). Shop lights are larger and/or cheaper
than grow lights. To raise plants under lights or to get them ready for
transplanting into the garden, you will need grow lights or a very sunny
window.

I don't remember how much my 24" grow lights cost (lights and hood) but
two florescent replacements cost me $26 + shipping = $37. I purchased
from
http://homeharvest.com. It may be a place to look to get an idea of
what's available. I make no recommendation because I was rushed and just
wanted to plug a problem. Most likely other posters will have some
recommendations.

I can't remember if I mentioned that a hot pad, set on low, underneath
the germination trays will greatly aid in the germination of your seeds.
I put mine under an inverted rectangular, metal, cookie sheet to spread
the warmth. That ensemble is inside a plastic bag with the germinating
tray resting on the plastic bag. Underneath all is a towel for
occasional moisture and 2" above the germinating tray are the florescent
grow lights.

I'm presently trying to germinate cabbage and lettuce. Next month,
April, I'll start germinating my core garden plants, tomatoes, zuchs,
cucumbers, melons, and basil. None of which can go into the garden until
mid-may.

Remember, every garden is a revolutionary act.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague

Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
ian.barton1990 wrote:

Planted seeds not too long ago, haven't grown tomatoes in ages. Had some
weeds or something grow and now I have what I believe to be tomato
seedlings. If any one could give me some help would be great thanks.

Might want to google for pics of tomato seedlings!
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain

Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote in
news
In article ,
ian.barton1990 wrote:

Planted seeds not too long ago, haven't grown tomatoes in ages. Had
some weeds or something grow and now I have what I believe to be
tomato seedlings. If any one could give me some help would be great
thanks.

Might want to google for pics of tomato seedlings!

You could try gently touching them. They have a distinctive smell that
no other plants have. There is a weed that looks like a small tomato
seedling, I've seen it a couple times. (For every plant, there is a
weed that emulates it. -- Gardener's Lament)

Puckdropper
marching band.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Puckdropper wrote:

Omelet wrote in
news
In article ,
ian.barton1990 wrote:

Planted seeds not too long ago, haven't grown tomatoes in ages. Had
some weeds or something grow and now I have what I believe to be
tomato seedlings. If any one could give me some help would be great
thanks.

Might want to google for pics of tomato seedlings!

You could try gently touching them. They have a distinctive smell that
no other plants have. There is a weed that looks like a small tomato
seedling, I've seen it a couple times. (For every plant, there is a
weed that emulates it. -- Gardener's Lament)

Puckdropper

The smell of tomato plant is a very treasured childhood memory, and one
of my favorite things about them. :-)

I know what you mean and had not thought of that.