Old 28-06-2008, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default All my edible's are dying

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article 83da50b4-d4f4-4547-92f8-
, says...

On a wild thought, chemical attack?

Could some animal have peed on them?

Around here all such animals are in Parliament. Any of them been to visit?

David

Old 28-06-2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I checked those wilted tomatoes and there's no cut worm damage. It
can't be chemical attack because I don't use chemicals and our house
is in the middle of 11 acres with nothing near us that could do that.
The tomatoes are in cages and growing in stone terraces that are not
accessible to critters. One of the wilted tomatoes is a Big boy and
the other one is Whopper. The heirlooms like Brandywine which are
right next to them, so far are fine.
I think there may be some kind of pathogen in the soil since I'm not
having, nor have had any problems in any other areas, other than the
terraces; and a lot of the extra soil in those terraces was brought in
two years ago when the terraces were built. My plan is, in the fall
when the current crops are harvested and the plant are pulled out,
to wet down those areas and put down clear plastic and leave it down
for several weeks and hope the heat will kill whatever it is in the
soil that was causing these wilting diseases.

Regards,
June

Old 28-06-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 06:02:06 -0700 (PDT), June
wrote:

[...]

Possibly some sort of tunneling animal? I have one that is doing the
same thing. I haven't pulled it up yet to see what is going on. I
need to do that soon.
Old 28-06-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Do you water with a hose? Is it possible the tomatoes got the first blast
from a hose-full of water that had been sitting in the sun? That can easily
get hot enough to wilt/kill plants, even when the weather is mild.

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs

Old 28-06-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
June wrote:

[...]

You must know that that sounds too easy. If you have wilt, fungal or
bacterial, it is there to stay for awhile, like a decade. If it is
fungal you might be able to to grow resistant tomatoes.

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publi...es/sp370-C.pdf
www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/bacterial_wilt.pdf
www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/fusarium.pdf

In the meantime, you may consider crop rotation.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 28-06-2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

You must know that that sounds too easy. If you have wilt, fungal or
bacterial, it is there to stay for awhile, like a decade. If it is
fungal you might be able to to grow resistant tomatoes.

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publi...es/sp370-C.pdf
www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/bacterial_wilt.pdf
www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/fusarium.pdf

In the meantime, you may consider crop rotation.
--

Billy

When I had fungal root rot along my fence line in my English Ivy, the
local nursery sold me some soil sulphur, and some soil probiotics.
Instructions were to scatter the sulphur and water it in to kill the
fungus, then wait two weeks and water in the soil bacteria.

It worked.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 28-06-2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

You must know that that sounds too easy. If you have wilt, fungal or
bacterial, it is there to stay for awhile, like a decade. If it is
fungal you might be able to to grow resistant tomatoes.

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publi...es/sp370-C.pdf
www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/bacterial_wilt.pdf
www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/fusarium.pdf

In the meantime, you may consider crop rotation.
--

Billy

When I had fungal root rot along my fence line in my English Ivy, the
local nursery sold me some soil sulphur, and some soil probiotics.
Instructions were to scatter the sulphur and water it in to kill the
fungus, then wait two weeks and water in the soil bacteria.

It worked.

If you read the PDFs from the Ag Extensions, you'll notice that nothing
was said about soil sulphur, and probiotics. I presume that you took in
a sample that was identified as fungal root rot. I'm glad it worked for
you. How much did the treatment cost and how much surface area did you
treat?
What do you think of the OP's intention to solarize her soil in order to
kill off her pest?
I hope the yarrow tea helped.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 29-06-2008, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I took in a limp dying branch... So, yes more or less.

I'm glad it worked for
you. How much did the treatment cost and how much surface area did you
treat?

It was cheap. Under $20.00 and I treated about a 150 ft. fence line
about 1 ft. on either side of the fence. I took advice and products from
Gardenville. They are located about 5 blocks away.

What do you think of the OP's intention to solarize her soil in order to
kill off her pest?

Could not hurt. The sun is a universal disinfectant. Theoretically,
running water (as in streams) running under sunlight for 1 mile will
help purify water.

The fact that sulphur treatment kills fungus has come in handy for more
than just soil. Garlic is useful for female yeast infections as well.
Better than some of the OTC crap they sell for that that does not work.
Garlic is VERY high in sulphur.

Makes me wonder if a heavy garlic treatment for fungal root rot might
work.

I hope the yarrow tea helped.

Yarrow is good for colds. :-)

Old 29-06-2008, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Garlic is useful for female yeast infections as well.

I hear cranberry juice (not punch) is best.
ŕ ta santé
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 29-06-2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing medicinal foods (was All my edible's are dying)

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Garlic is useful for female yeast infections as well.

I hear cranberry juice (not punch) is best.
ŕ ta santé

No, that's for urinary tract infections, not yeast infections...

I add cranberry juice to cocktails just because I like it. :-)

Yogurt and vinegar douche is the old remedy for Yeast, but garlic works
better. I've not been bothered by it for awhile but last time I did,
pigging out on garlic actually worked. I also recommended it to my best
friend last time she had a problem with it and donated 10 heads of
garlic to the cause. Fortunately, she _likes_ garlic! It worked for her
as well.

Eaten in recipes, NOT made into a douche.

Pardon for the semi-off-topic post, but one can grow garlic too. g
Like other foods, it's very medicinal.

Medicinal garden foods might make an interesting thread...
I have trouble growing garlic. I'm probably not doing it right.
Never been able to get it to "clove" for me, but onions did ok. They
seem to like sandier soil. But, with the cost of water here, it's
cheaper for me anymore to purchase most veggies instead of trying to
grow them. :-(

Old 29-06-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

[...]

Hey Om -- go look at: http://www.filareefarm.com/

Since you're down there in hot, old Texas, you need to grow garlic
varieties that will thrive in your climate. The Filaree website explains
the different types of garlic and which ones do well down south.

There's at least one big, commercial seed garlic seller in Texas. You
can probably find them on google.

Jan
Old 29-06-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Garlic is useful for female yeast infections as well.

I hear cranberry juice (not punch) is best.
ŕ ta santé

No, that's for urinary tract infections, not yeast infections...

I must be getting old, I know that.

I add cranberry juice to cocktails just because I like it. :-)

Yogurt and vinegar douche is the old remedy for Yeast, but garlic works
better. I've not been bothered by it for awhile but last time I did,
pigging out on garlic actually worked. I also recommended it to my best
friend last time she had a problem with it and donated 10 heads of
garlic to the cause. Fortunately, she _likes_ garlic! It worked for her
as well.

I think it would help to have an Italian boyfriend;-)

Eaten in recipes, NOT made into a douche.

Pardon for the semi-off-topic post, but one can grow garlic too. g
Like other foods, it's very medicinal.

I knew about garlic for B.P. but not yeast infections. Odd though, I
would have thought that garlic and fungi would have gotten along, yhey
do in my kitchen )

Medicinal garden foods might make an interesting thread...

Did you know that a thyme flower decoction is anti-bacterial and used as
a gargle is good for sore throats? Sorry, we weren't talking nose and
throats, were we?
I have trouble growing garlic. I'm probably not doing it right.
Never been able to get it to "clove" for me, but onions did ok. They
seem to like sandier soil. But, with the cost of water here, it's
cheaper for me anymore to purchase most veggies instead of trying to
grow them. :-(

I've already ordered mine for this fall. I'm using the shot-gun
approach. I'm planting several types in different spots on my north
facing hillside.

Later and thanks for the catch.

Thanks to Jan too for the garlic website
http://www.filareefarm.com/
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 30-06-2008, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

[...]

Why thanks! :-)

I was just trying to grow what I bought at the grocery store. I remove
the outer covering from a head of garlic and set it in water until it
starts to sprout, then separate the cloves and plant them. I always end
up with a mild, onion-looking thing at the base...

And they never bloom.

I have a stand of wild onions and a HUGE patch of garlic chives that
re-plant themselves every year! They do well.

Old 30-06-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Yogurt and vinegar douche is the old remedy for Yeast, but garlic works
better. I've not been bothered by it for awhile but last time I did,
pigging out on garlic actually worked. I also recommended it to my best
friend last time she had a problem with it and donated 10 heads of
garlic to the cause. Fortunately, she _likes_ garlic! It worked for her
as well.

I think it would help to have an Italian boyfriend;-)

snicker

Eaten in recipes, NOT made into a douche.

Pardon for the semi-off-topic post, but one can grow garlic too. g
Like other foods, it's very medicinal.

I knew about garlic for B.P.

B.P.???

but not yeast infections. Odd though, I
would have thought that garlic and fungi would have gotten along, they
do in my kitchen )

Heh! I refrigerate garlic in a basket in the 'frige. Onions are stored
in a basket at room temp. Baskets are really good to keep stored veggies
dry and slows mold growth.

I keep old easter baskets (the cheap ones) and just cut the handles off.

Medicinal garden foods might make an interesting thread...

Did you know that a thyme flower decoction is anti-bacterial and used as
a gargle is good for sore throats? Sorry, we weren't talking nose and
throats, were we?

Sure! We are talking medicinal uses. :-) I have two different varieties
of thyme in the herb garden so that's a good hint.

Right now, regular use of milk thistle capsules seems to be drastically
shortening the length and severity of head colds! Seriously. I'm
considering growing it since it does well in this climate.

I have trouble growing garlic. I'm probably not doing it right.
Never been able to get it to "clove" for me, but onions did ok. They
seem to like sandier soil. But, with the cost of water here, it's
cheaper for me anymore to purchase most veggies instead of trying to
grow them. :-(

I've already ordered mine for this fall. I'm using the shot-gun
approach. I'm planting several types in different spots on my north
facing hillside.

Later and thanks for the catch.

Cheers! :-)