Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Eggplants

Some times people give me eggplants. What is the easiest recipe using
only the microwave and as few other ingrediants as possible?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
Some times people give me eggplants. What is the easiest recipe using
only the microwave and as few other ingrediants as possible?

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually
done it and all microwaves are the same.

When the outside seems soft, remove the eggplant and cool it. When it's
cool split it open and remove the flesh. Try to remove as many seeds as
you can without getting paranoid over it. Chop up the removed eggplant
meat.

Chop some sweet onion. Chop a hard boiled egg. Mix them all together.
Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over it and season with salt and fresh
pepper. If you are into hot stuff, shake some hot sauce into it, but not
too much. Chill for a few hours.

Serve with crackers as a dip.

(My mom made this by baking the eggplant in one of those old fasioned
stove-top bakers.)

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 02-09-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually done
it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

TFM®

Old 02-09-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

TFM® wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually
done it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
TFM® wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually
done it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

I should have guessed from the sig. G

TFM®

Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
TFM® wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually done
it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

TFM®

I agree. The microwave at work is FAR more powerful and cooks a lot
faster than my home unit!
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 1, 5:36 pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

Hey, that's kind of like the way my family cook eggplant once in a
while though not in microwave. (I have done it one or two times in US
but I forgot all about it. I currently have a big eggplant-
actually, I was forgetting that I have it. We only add onion -
thinly sliced and washed - cilantro, Thai chillies, and salt though

Too bad I have to eat high protein diet and I don't have much room (in
my stomach) to eat lots of veggie.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 1, 8:29 pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
TFM® wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually
done it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

Shouldn't it be " Not all microwaves are the same"? A non-native
English speaker just wondering.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article , phorbin wrote:
In article 8e545c67-f7d8-494b-a9d3-74180e814548@
1g2000pre.googlegroups.com, says...
On Sep 1, 8:29 pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
TFM=AE wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually
done it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

Shouldn't it be " Not all microwaves are the same"? A non-native
English speaker just wondering.

Amanda,

The intended meaning was made clear enough.

It doesn't matter.

You might not know that your comment and query amounts to a troll; then
again, you might.

On the other hand, you clearly know that your response *is* a troll.
(Just as I know I'm guilty of feeding a troll -- I hope the
gourmand in you finds it at least edible.)

But to continue... The pedant in me, while agreeing the meaning was
clear enough, does wonder whether "microwaves aren't all the same"
would have been the correct form of the original with "aren't"?

Addendum: Strawberries and cream *again* for dessert! (The local
supermarkets have finally got some palatable strawberries in stock.
It's only taken 45 years, so I guess we here in the deep north of the
deep south can't complain too much. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 08-09-2008, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 8, 7:15 am, (Phred) wrote:
In article , phorbin wrote:
In article 8e545c67-f7d8-494b-a9d3-74180e814548@
1g2000pre.googlegroups.com, says...
On Sep 1, 8:29 pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
TFM=AE wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually
done it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

Shouldn't it be " Not all microwaves are the same"? A non-native
English speaker just wondering.

Amanda,

The intended meaning was made clear enough.

I guess you are not bright enough to see that I was just trying to
learn th correct way.

It doesn't matter.

Who said it matters (in the way you are making it way out of
proportion)?

You might not know that your comment and query amounts to a troll; then
again, you might.

Really? In a ng full of off topics? This tells me that you are one of
those holier than thou.

On the other hand, you clearly know that your response *is* a troll.

Sensitive, aren't you? Typical of most people on earth. In another
word. typical of not very bright people. Gotta go; no time for crap
like this.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 8, 5:53 am, phorbin wrote:
In article 8e545c67-f7d8-494b-a9d3-74180e814548@
1g2000pre.googlegroups.com, says...

On Sep 1, 8:29 pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
TFM® wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote

punch a few holes in the skin with an ice pick and nuke it for a few
minutes cheking if it is getting soft every few minutes. It probably
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at most, but I've never actually
done it and all microwaves are the same.

Is that a typo, or are you really that inexperienced with different
microwave ovens?

It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

Shouldn't it be " Not all microwaves are the same"? A non-native
English speaker just wondering.

Amanda,

The intended meaning was made clear enough.

It doesn't matter.

You might not know that your comment and query amounts to a troll; then
again, you might.

Read my response to Phred; some portion of it was to your idiotic
response.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"amandaF" wrote in message

On Sep 1, 8:29 pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

Shouldn't it be " Not all microwaves are the same"? A non-native
English speaker just wondering.

Yes, that would be the correct grammar. "All microwaves aren't the same"
would mean that none were the same, when this is clearly not the case. Many
are the same.
"Not all..." indicates that some may be the same, but not all are the same.
You were correct.

Your English is much better than my (whatever your native language is).

Boli

Old 08-09-2008, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 8, 9:53*am, "bolivar" wrote:
"amandaF" wrote in message

On Sep 1, 8:29 pm, Janet Wilder wrote:

It's a typo. It should have read 'all microwaves *aren't* the same.

Shouldn't it be " Not all microwaves are the same"? A non-native
English speaker just wondering.

Yes, that would be the correct grammar. * "All microwaves aren't the same"
would mean that none were the same, when this is clearly not the case. Many
are the same.
"Not all..." indicates that some may be the same, but not all are the same.
You were correct.
Thanks for veriying

Your English is much better than my (whatever your native language is). *

Nah..

Boli

Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
amandaF wrote:
On Sep 8, 5:53 am, phorbin wrote:

[snip]
You might not know that your comment and query amounts to a troll; then
again, you might.

Read my response to Phred; some portion of it was to your idiotic
response.

And some portion of it was directed at *me* for supporting *you*!

Seems you weren't able to navigate the attributions successfully.
Typical of not very bright people. (Is a gmail address diagnostic?)

See! You've got me doing it now too: being rude to others.

ObFood: The backyard eggplant finally has a few new fruit forming.
Probably be a couple ready to pick later this week. Been a bit of a
drought of them for a month or so.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID